News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Memorial Day Above Timberline

Started by BigDave, June 01, 2004, 06:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

For some of the Colorado locals, these pics may be old hat.  Most of us DS types ride over Guanella Pass in Colorado several times a year.  There is something about being above the trees at over 11,000.  It clears your head.  It opens your sinuses. It really makes you feel alive.  At least that's what it does for me.

From Denver, the loop of Guanella Pass is an easy half day ride. The pass itself is a mix of really old messed up tar and rough gravel.  From Denver, you go West up highway 285 to Grant.  North over the pass.  Down the other side into Georgetown.  Then back the service road along I-70 to Idaho Springs.  Then down highway 6 to Golden-Denver.

It was about 75 F in Denver when I left. On the way up the pass, I pull over & put on my "spring/fall" gloves as the temperature was already falling as I was at about 8500 feet here.

Before I got near the top of the pass, I pulled over for my winter gloves and liner for my jacket.  Wind and Cold were on the menu today for those visiting above timberline.

Seeing this beauty never gets old I tell you.  Everytime I go up there it is wonderful.  I'll just let the next several views tell their own story.

Not to many folk were visiting up there today for being a holiday and all.  I guess the wind and cold kept them at lower altitudes.  This is on the way down towards Georgetown.

Georgetown is a cute little place.  A big mining town in its day.  There are many historical sites in the town and many of the structures are well preserved.  I stopped in at the Happy Cooker for a breakfast burrito and coffee.  Sure warmed me up!

Once I got to Golden, I decided to swing by Wayne Weber's house & see if he was wrenching in the garage. I pulled up the driveway as I saw the side door open to the garage.  I tried to ride my GS into the garage but it wouldn't fit through the door.   :lol:    Wayne of course was busy at the workbench rebuilding the sub-frame for his Rally Twin.  I have no idea how he became such a good rider as he spends way more time working on his bikes than riding them.  :wink:

So, then I went back to home with a clear head and new appreciation for living in this area.  This is an Adventure Rider's Paradise here in Colorado!  8)