News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What did you ride before you got a tiger?????

Started by bigjca4, June 04, 2004, 03:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjca4

What did you ride before you got your tiger and why is the tiger better than your old bike?

I've ridden many off road type bikes my whole life.  My first street bike was a Kawasaki ZR-7 and I liked it a lot, bit iI kinda looked like one of those circus bears riding a minibike.  See I'm 6ft 7in tall 300lbs.  I like the tiger and almost bought one, but because I got a great deal on a yamaha roadstar, I bought the roadstar.  Now I'm rethinking that decision and looking for a trade.  I miss the umph of a sportbike type bike and I'm not dumping $5000 into this bike to get it.  I also like the idea of lockable hard bags and removable hard bags.  I love the look of the tiger and if I could afford it (wife would never let me) but I love the new silver color.  Hate red, so any red bikes out there I'm not interested.  I like the green, yellow, and blue used bikes I'm seeing on the web.

Are the 855 tigers as good as the new ones?

Thanks.

Brock

Had a '99 VFR800 before my '01 Tiger, and had a '96 VFR 750 before that. Needless to say I changed to a Tiger because I wanted something a bit "different" and more challenging, but without sacrificing the performance I loved from the '800. Never regretted changing to a Tiger. She aint perfect but boy does that bike have character.

If you get the chance, have a go on one with the 955i engine.

Preferably in Black. You'll be buying one soon afterwards.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

AK Tiger

I started off with a 50cc Zanella in 1965, went up to a 160 Ducati in '66, ... oh, you mean lately?  I traded in a '85 Yamaha Venture in the middle of a 10K mile road trip I was on in 2002 cuz the Triumph dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse.  I'd happily do the deal again today.  Tiggr does everything I've asked of it and has been as reliable as a pet rock.  I'm taking off on another 10-12K mile road trip in 2 weeks with the Tiger. :D

Darrell
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

MikeB

Honda - 2 Africa Twins followed by 2 Varaderos - the Vara is a great touring bike but too heavy for me, the Tiger is much lighter and more agile
------------------------------------------------

2005 Tiger - silver

1997 T\'Bird- black

Chris Canning

I've run a sports tourer and a big trallie for some years now,before the Tiger was the same as Mike had two Africa twins,the first one got stolen!!.

Chris

sweetpete

Before i bought my 05 Tiger, i rode A Suzuki TL1000R, a Bandit 1200 and a Fireblade. As i couldnt ride all three bikes at once i decided to sell these and buy something that would help me keep my license a little longer. Trouble is the 05 Tiger is like riding a 1000cc supermoto, so i am still looking out for the old bill everywhere i go....... oh well.........
Theres only one way of life.... and thats your own...

ATDRS

I had a 2002 V-Strom 1000 then a 99 Yamaha Royal Star Venture.

The Tiger was still in the crate when I bought it. It is an 05 and after I saw the cast wheels in person I knew that I had to have it.

It,s faster and much lighter than the Yamaha.

Against the V-Strom it is much smoother and of much better quality. In my opinion the

tiger(05) handles better than the V-Strom and does not have the fork dive problems upon braking. I need that with my fat arse.

My ride immediately before the Tiger was/is a BMW R100GS. I've still got it, for sale. Just too unreliable for serious touring. Let me down every one trip in two.

It always got me home though. Limped home stuck in 4th gear one time. Fried the clutch that time.

Other probs were :- starter motor, generator, shock absorber, fork seals, gearbox twice, drive shaft twice.

Basically, you have to treat it like a classic bike. i.e. gently and with lots of TLC every week. I serviced it when it was due but I need a bike that can do a 3000 mile tour without something going wrong. So the Tiger was it for me.

The thing has 63000 miles on it now. Poor thing. Very good for exploring those back unpaved roads. Like a two wheeled Jeep/Landrover. Easy to pick up if you dropped it because it can't fall all the way over because of the cylinders sticking out.  

For sale in S.East UK.

orangetigger

'01 Harley FLHT- before that '99 Harley sportster custom- before that Honda silverwing- Definitely like the Tiger best.
2003 955i lucifer orange

cee baileys windscreen

triumph centerstand

BigDave

2000 Kawasaki KLR 650.

It was OK, but on the road it was a major dog.  Especially trying to haul my big ass on it... :oops:

blacktiger

" circus bear on a minibike"   I'm sorry, but I copyrighted that phrase.

Please send me all of your money and  I might just forget it!  ;-)

I'm 6'6" and ~ 300 lbs.  I rode a '91 CB750 for a couple of years, but it was really uncomfortable and  I felt like I looked like a "circus bear on a minibike."  

Almost bought a VStrom but the bastards wouldn't let me take a test ride.

Tiger is massively cooler anyway.

BMSBIKE
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

sycamoredave

Prior rides:  Honda CB350, Suzi  GS750, Honda PC800

Current rides:  '81 Suzi GS750, '00 Yamaha MM, '96 Tiger

Tiger:  Bought the bike in NM and rode it home to OH for a vacation.  I came to like the big cat, and have not really wanted to part with it.  Currently dealing with finishing up the dreaded sprag clutch project.

Marital status:  In trouble over too many bikes, but she likes the MM.

Ride safe... 8)

Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

Homeskillet

I rode a Honda Nighthawk S for several years. Before that there was a Yamaha 125 dirt bike and a Honda 250R quad. The Tiger is by far the most fun and reliable bike I have had.
I Would Hope To Tell Thee Thusly

52blackshadow

Where do I start?

First bike a Ducati 100cc two stroke single at age 11.

Various bike continuously over the past 29 years.

Current rides include Vincent Black Shadow, Velocette Venom, Ducati 860GTS, BMW R100/7 and R1100RT, Grumph, Cagiva Elephant, Tiger 955i, Panther outfit, AJS 500 outfit, Triumph T110, BSA Sloper, AJS 350sv, Norton 16H etc.

Tiger is the best balance of fun and reliability I've found for the road at the moment, but had the R1200GS been around when I bought it I think the decision may have gone the other way!

Ride safe.

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!