News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

More Tiger Wisdom... What NOT To Do...

Started by Stretch, March 20, 2009, 11:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

Quote from: "tazshido"It wasn't until I was getting ready to put the case back on that I realized the 16 screws were in 9 different lengths and each had to be put back in pretty much the exact hole it came out of. A 30 minute reassembly turned into a 3 hour puzzle.

Been there done it. An easy way to check is to put the cover on and use a depth gauge on a vernier caliper (or just a stout bit of wire) to check the depth of each hole. Only takes a few minutes. The holes will be slightly deeper than the under-head length of the screws.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

akey

Heres one,

If your throttle slowly gets stiffer, dont ignore it...........

I did and then my throttle cable snapped - I know I know its a school boy error on my part  :cry:

hooligan971

This morning I spent about an hour, setting up a jig to adjust the height and angle of the boxes. I tried several different positions, and decided on one that I thought looked best and would work out with dry bags,tent, top box/bag etc. and not get in the way of any passenger.
I carefully marked and drilled the left box. Mounted it and stood back to admire my handy work. Looked great ! The whole operation went smooth and easy and if the other side was that easy I was good to go :D
Moved the jig over to the right side (exhaust side) and grabbed the box from the packaging and immediately realized I was right to think the project was going too easy to be true. I had ordered the cliff-cut set :BangHead  and with these, you are pretty limited on the angle that you can mount them, and this one was no way gonna' go on to match the other side that I thought I'd done such a good job getting just right. So I went ahead and mounted that box, removed the other and re-drilled it to match (wasn't that much different) and now I need to find a few auto body plugs to fit the holes.
All in all even with the screw up, it took only about an hour and a half, and turned out fine in the end.
Hopefully my mistake will help others who have to drill their own mounting holes. If you get clif-cut boxes, mount the exhaust side first. :roll:
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

slomotion

Well its has been a year of living with a steamer so.. :new_all_coholic
Carbs.
1. Manifold rubbers are wider at the top than the bottom.
2.Remember to fully check that all little bits are in place.
3.Do not drop coil mount bolt.  :BangHead
So after four off and ons with a bit of lub'.Carb' virgin l'm not.
Jut a fumbling novice now.
:icon_study
97 in red

Bixxer Bob

Your emoticon skills are a bit hit and miss too :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Your emoticon skills are a bit hit and miss too :ImaPoser
fixt em

Colonel Nikolai

Lot of you know this already, I almost learned the hard way. Tonight I was in the process of removing a cam cap on my 96 Sprint. The bolts are T-30 torx that you have to use an L-Shaped wrench to get under the spine tube part of the frame. Got one of them loosened OK. The second one was giving me grief. After struggling with it a bit I noticed the wrench just wouldn't seat properly. Looking at the end of the wrench, I found  it had twisted!. It was a brand called Titan that I got at Northern Tool. I threw the whole set into the garbage and ordered a new set from Snapon. Much cheaper in the long run.

When you're wrenching on the bike especially with high-stressed fasteners, don't skimp on the tools or you could end up with fasteners like this:

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

When removing the valve cover on these bikes be VERY VERY careful of especially tightening the valve cover bolts. They can strip with hardly any resistance. The torque setting on these are 10nm, only a bit more than finger-tight. I did this using only one hand and it felt like I was crushing a ripe grape:

Be very afraid closing the valve cover.

Colonel Nikolai

Do not pressure-wash the suspension linkage. A mechanic told me this. The water breaches the seals of the suspension and causes corrosion. Goes for any bike not just tigers.

Mustang

ruins oring chains too  :wink:

fishguts

Quote from: "zombie"And DO NOT forget to pump the front brakes after bleeding them so you don't roll out of your shop backwards with no brakes and proceed to run into a tree :oops:
Is that why there's no trees outside your shop.   Heh heh heh.

Danny955i

1. When you remove a Girly tank, lean it up against a wall with the battery base on the ground and lobes against the wall... this will prevent distortion due to resting on the bottom, ESPECIALLY in the heat.

2. DO NOT use torx bits in allen bolts, you will destroy them and an allen wrench will no longer work in them.

3. Zip-tie/safety wire your blue-clips onto your coil packs on your 955i... running home on 2 cylinders thinking that you blew your motor up with TuneECU is not fun.

4. It is OK to put grease on everything, EXCEPT: Brakes, controls, seat, tires, foot pegs, foot controls, passenger pegs, or painted surfaces.

5. Loc-tite should be used sparingly, and if you think "Won't I need to remove that at some point?" use the BLUE loc-tite, NOT the red.

atokad

After removing the 8mm nut that holds your gauges into the dash be sure to grab the little black washer and rubber grommet that are behind that 8 mm nut before you pull the gauge out of its "socket".

Otherwise, one of them might fall off, hit your foot and roll away.  Then you won't spend an hour looking for the dam thing to find out that it rolled all the way from the front of the garage, under one of your vehicles, out the garage and half way down the driveway before becoming lodged in one of the expansion joints in the driveway.

Oh, and you won't need your wife to be the one that found it clear out there because you refused to believe it had enough mass and momentum to actually roll "that far"!  :oops:

Jon H.

Take great care when removing/replacing the battery box mounting bolts into the plastic fuel tank.  It doesn't take much force to break the embedded nut free and will likely result in a fuel leak.  Use anti-sieze on the threads.
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black
1971 Norton Commando - Black
1983 Moto Guzzi LeMans lll - Red
2009 Suzuki DL 650S - Black

Geoff W

Do NOT apply Hammerite paint in Sub Zero temperatures..............A friend of mine straightened my side stand using heat and blunt instruments. So I put two coats of red oxide on it, then a couple of days later painted it with some black Hammerite I had lying around in the garage. Daytime temperature in my garage recently has been -2 C and about -5 or colder at night. The Hammerite just would not cure, I ended up with great thick gooey runs of the stuff all over the stand. I brought it into the house overnight and now I have a Hammerite coated stand that looks like a gnarled piece of old wood, but at least it is straight!
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.