News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Waldorf Mine

Started by BigDave, June 07, 2004, 04:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

I wanted to go back an explore more of the Georgetown, CO area, so I picked Waldorf Mine as today's destination.  3-1/2 miles South of Georgetown is the road to Waldorf Mine.  Its a Forest Service road that can be had by 4WD's and the like.

It is 7 miles from the sign to the mine.  About 1/2 the time I spent on the pegs.  There are just a very tricky sections where there is loose rock/dirt.  There are some switchbacks that get a little steep near the beginning.  Any dual-sport with a experienced rider would do fine on this road.

When you get near the mine, you can get a glimpse of the peaks.

Once at the mine, you see the remains of a once very busy silver mine.  It was real quiet and peaceful up there today.  Elevation: 11,621. There were a few 4X4's, a couple ATV's and just 2 other bikes is all I saw up there today.

On the way down, this little section will wake you up if you are not paying attention.  These next few shots are so you can see what the road is like in case you want to consider riding up there.

I took a little side road near the bottom and it lead to the stream in the bottom of the valley.  I decided to park it & go cool off by the stream.  Sure felf good splashing the cold mountain stream water in my face, head and down my neck.

This is a great close place for those in the front range area to do some jeep trails.  If you decide to take a big bike up there, my suggestion is to have no less than near new TKC 80's as you need as much bite as you can get.  There are many side roads off this road to explore too.  The road continues above the mine, but I'll have to get up the nerve to try it as it gets real steep, real fast.  There is also a trail that goes up into the bowl that looks like fun. It looked like it was covered in snow just over a 1/4 mile from the mine.  Maybe another day... :wink: