News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why didn't I just get a GoldWing??

Started by atokad, April 18, 2009, 07:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

I can answer this.  Having had many bikes and styles, it's a legitimate question.

Why not a Gold Wing?   In a perfect world you'd have both. but.....$$$ gets in the way for me.  The Wing is a fabulous bike, very sporty for a touring bike and it's a Honda.  Honda makes great bikes.  If you like to kick your feet up and sit on your tailbone and stick to the streets without dust it's great.

My Beemer was fabulous and a bike I'll love to the day I die but why did I get a Tiger to replace it?

1 - Certainly not it's good looks??  But I get it dirty and keep it dirty.  Sooooooo #2
2 - I ride it, not polish it.  Good looking bike = KEEP THE DIRT OFF OF IT.
3 - Lighter, waaaaaaaaay lighter.  I don't want a bike that requires a reverse gear.  :shock:
4 - I take any road or trail I want.  I'm not limited to asphalt.
5 - I like to Farkle.  I did very little to my Beemer thus it did not have my personality like my Tiger.
6 - If I wanted to ride in a sports car I would have gotten a sports car.  All that's missing on the wing is the roof and two more wheels!!
7 - I hate having the same bike as EVERYONE else.  Wing, BMW, Harley...I like to be different!
8 - You can't duplicate that Triple engine.  One of a kind!
9 - Incredible value for you coin.  Yes, you need to upgrade components but you can customize it cheaply and you've got money left over.
10- Ground clearance for jumping rocks and logs....ask Fano. :roll:
11- I wanted a versatile bike.  I don't cruise freeways regularly.
12- The Tiger is a very good long distance touring bike that you can take where ever your heart desires.  As #11 states, not just freeways.
13- It's a Triumph! :icon_salut Need I say more?  If it's good enough for Steve McQueen, it's good enough for me.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

atokad

Quote from: "oxnsox"...and hey if you got your Wing  how long would it be before you started adding farkles to that....  like say a third wheel.....

Hmmm. S  T  R  E  T  C  H  !!!!!  Any third wheel projects for that Cat of yours that you been hiding from us?

Gawd, that would make a hideous Tiger, IMHO.  Think I'll put my Tiger back to stock.

Actually though, what started all of this for me was the Rox Risers. For the little amount of pullback I have them adjusted at I may just get the risers that Stretch has, they look more natural/stock to me than the Rox Risers. Maybe I'd be happy again with my Tiger then.  :D

EvilBetty

Quote from: "atokad"
Quote from: "flux"I actually want a Goldwing.  And I'm only 30.  Does that make me weird?   :lol:

No. Owning the Tiger makes you wierd. :o

Good, because I'm 33 and want a Goldwing too!  I just can't see it being fun to ride unless your going on a loooong ride.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

JasonS

WTF... have you been spying on me!!!

other than the skid plate and the tool tube, I have done everything on that list...

PLUS!!

Tank Panniers
Chain Oiler
Volt Meter
Radar detector
Multiple RAM Mounts
..and stickers... can't forget the stickers!!

Quote from: "atokad"Have you ever asked yourself this?  I mean let's look at a standard list of Tiger farkles:
A different seat
Tank bag
Tail bag
Bar risers
Lower the pegs
Tool tube
Center stand
GPS
Different windscreen
Upgraded horn
Driving lights
Fuse block for all the farkles
CAT ring cruise control - or other
Heated grips
Mirror extenders
Crash bars
Skid/bash plate

I think the only thing missing is a Reverse gear and a CB radio and about 800 cc's ! :BangHead  

What do you think?
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

atokad

Quote from: "JasonS"WTF... have you been spying on me!!!

other than the skid plate and the tool tube, I have done everything on that list...

PLUS!!

Tank Panniers
Chain Oiler
Volt Meter
Radar detector
Multiple RAM Mounts
..and stickers... can't forget the stickers!!

Quote from: "atokad"Have you ever asked yourself this?  I mean let's look at a standard list of Tiger farkles:
A different seat
Tank bag
Tail bag
Bar risers
Lower the pegs
Tool tube
Center stand
GPS
Different windscreen
Upgraded horn
Driving lights
Fuse block for all the farkles
CAT ring cruise control - or other
Heated grips
Mirror extenders
Crash bars
Skid/bash plate

I think the only thing missing is a Reverse gear and a CB radio and about 800 cc's ! :BangHead  

What do you think?

Yep - been spying on ALL Tiger owners. I did remember the other day that I had forgot to list the chain oiler as that is on my list of "future farkkles" and the second RAM mount is "in the mail"!  I don't have all of the mods I listed yet either, but again, as I consider adding them I do ask myself, why not just get a Wing?

I was working in a Honda Dealership in 1975 when the first GL 1000's came out. I was 15 at the time and did new bike set up, initial tune, and test rides.  Whoo heee, that thing smoked the XL 350 I owned at the time.  So I guess the desire is still there.  I still really like the clean lines of the 1975-1977 Wings, but there are some really good deals on Craigslist too for cheap! <$2500.  Here's a nice example of a local one for $2100.

EvilBetty

The problem for me with the goldwings IS the farkles.  They date too quick.

I have no problem buying used and older bikes, but I don't need a CB raidio, 8-track player, and melodic horns playing "General Lee".

I want GPS SAT/Weather, Bluetooth, MP3... Got a pony up for a newer one for those toys... or... do like we do now and farkle it yourself :)

I love the looks of the older Goldwings, minus the fairings.  Not until 1989 did I start to like the fairings on them.

DaJudge

If I did lots of distance riding, I'd certainly opt for a Wing or something similar.

For a mix of riding, though, the Tiger does many things pretty darn well.  I also love the curious looks I get at lights (there's only a few Tigers around here) and just being different than all the HD/clones and Wings around here.

EvilBetty

I had to take my bike to the dealer for a safety inspection today.  The tech says "It's a Triumph... something".

They must be rare around here too!

oxnsox

Well at least you definitely know not to let that tech near your bike with a tool......  or something....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EvilBetty

LOL, no kidding.  It's a BMW / Triumph shop.  Most of them are BMW guys.  There are at least a couple of them though that are dedicated to the Triumphs.  But a safety inspection is not brand specific I guess.  Hell I let Gail's Harley Davidson do my first one!

atokad

OK - So I did a shake down run with the Rox Risers installed today.  I FELT like I was riding a Wing!  Seriously, the set back bars made me feel like I was all cozy'd up on a big plastic Jap stratoliner.  Still not sure I like it from a looks, sportyness "feel", but I did do 450 miles for the day quite easily (even in lovely 25 mph+ crosswinds) and no back fatigue.

That's the most miles I've done in one day on any bike, and given the comfort, they'll probably stay on the bike.

The scenery for the day...and you all thought Colorado was nothing but mountains?

EvilBetty

"That John Denver's full of shit, man."

ramseybella

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"You mean like this???

Man you can Throw down on a Gold Wing, my 81 pulled me out of some tight jams many times over.
They are low center of gravity and can maneuver like? Well like the video!! :lol:

I was going to get a Wing again but I didn't have the cash and all the dirt roads I have in New Mexico an in the west had me set on a Tiger.
Now winter is coming I will have time to go over it and get my shock rebuilt and get ready for spring or them days the snow has melted, you can ride almost all year round.