News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Jury's returned.

Started by Brock, June 10, 2004, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock

Did what I said I was going to do today...took an 1150GS out for a couple of hours. The last one I took out was just before I bought the Tiger 16 months ago. I did it to see whether my memory was right (I've been a little critical of GS's lately).

Well..........nothing's changed. The GS (1150 at least) is one serious bike. Loads of fun, big attitude, great suspension, and it's so stable. But the engine? this was a well loosened-up 30,000 mile example and man, it's still agricultural. And way, way down on power compared to the Tiger. I won't go on...it's becoming boring. But the GS (in my opinion) is a hell of an over-rated and over priced bike. It's good, but not THAT good. The Tiger, on the other hand is (as someone else has said) one of the best kept secrets in the bike industry. This thing is such good value, and I don't care what anyone says...I've ridden them back to back now and the Tiger definitely slays the GS in the twisties.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Brock

'Course...I ain't ridden the 1200GS yet...
Chris

Chris Canning

I'm not anti GS it's just horse's for courses,but i see most dynos' are only showing 85hp on the new 1200,and if you have a look at the GS site the natives are a little unhappy with the fuel injection.

As i've said before.i'm more than happy with my BM1100s,but then it's had thousands spent on it!!!,e'r thats Pounds not Dollars!!!

Chris

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I'm not anti GS it's just horse's for courses,but i see most dynos' are only showing 85hp on the new 1200,

Trouble is that "Bike" magazine only recently got 81bhp for a Tiger. Remember though, that's at the back wheel. They got 84 from the 885 Tiger. Something wrong somewhere me thinks!

52blackshadow

Sorry Brock,

I've ridden both the R1150GS and the R1200GS and they are a world apart!  Try the 1200 and then tell me how good the Tiger is compared to it!

Of course, if you ride a Tiger regularly then you'll feel more at home on one than on the BMW, but try to imagine trying them both out with no previous feel for either.

I still say the finish of the BMW is far superior to the Tiger!

Ride safe,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

Brock

Fair comments Keith. But for me to kit out a 1200GS with everything I've got on the Tiger (luggage, alarm, etc) I'd be looking at the other side of ten and a half grand. When I try one (and I will) it will have to be one hell of a package to be worth four and a half grand more than the old (spoked) model Tiger I've seen hiding in the local dealer's purring "buy me, buy me".

Regarding finish the one I rode yesterday was crap. Even Beemers corrode, apparently.
Chris

Brock

Just thought I'd let you all know...the feeling's finally returned to my testicles after yesterday. The "buzzing" sensation on the GS was something I hadn't mentioned.
Chris

tigerjohn

........should be a good weekend then!

BigDave

:lol:

I used to be the same way.  Always had to justify having a Tiger by putting down the GS.

time for a nap... :roll:

Brock

Thing is...when you own a Tiger then ride a GS putting it down is easy.
Chris

shags

Gee have a listen to yourself.............a little biaised perhaps?

Nothing wrong with loving your bike - that's completely normal - BUT -

let's not go overboard.  There will always be people who like Tigers and there will always be people who like GS's.

Personally I've owned them both and I like them both.  The GS was my choice in the end because they have  top build quality,  a unique and innovative suspension system and a huge following (with good reason)

I loved my Tiger......not as much as the GS, but it was cheaper so one shouldn't be to critical.  It amazes me how the first thing Tiger owners point out is that the GS is more expensive. Well, yes it is......things like  quality components, shaft drive and telelever/paralever suspension, standard centre stands etc etc are all included on standard models. These are fine motorcycles and there is good reason why they are still regarded as the benchmark by which others are judged.

Brock

So you bought a GS because they have a huge following? How does that work? If you read everything I've said about GS's you'll realise I, too, like them. But not enough to buy one over a Tiger.

And biased? hell, yes. In fact I'm passionate about it. If you can afford a GS and like all its foibles then buy one. As they say...it's a free country. But let's remember THIS IS A TIGER SITE. I wouldn't dream of visiting a GS site and voicing my opinions. That would be insulting to GS owners.

I've no doubt I've upset someone else now but there y' go. I thought I was amongst Tiger owners. Obviously I'm wrong.

Nothing personal...I still love your name.
Chris

Chris Canning

Well it's interesting reading others opinons,but as per usual there's always two sides!!.

Do i think the finish the on my Beemer is better than my Tiger,i'd answer yes,and yet my S has never seen a winters day in it's life,and the paint bubbled on the bottom for yoke and dropped off!!!,the nuts and bolts on my early 955 are crap(the newer models are different) but  i've never had the paint drop off,so there's an anomaly straight away.

Shaft drive is great!!,no shit up the back of the bike, maintainence free,you wait till you've 30-40,000 miles on the clock,and the ajuster bearings haver gone a bollock and you have to put a new drive shaft in to boot,i know several that have,being able just to throw a new set of chain and sprockets for £120 certainley has it's attractions.

There are pro's and cons from both sides,but i take a far more simplistic view!!!! in the 3 years i've had my Tiger i've only ever meet one guy on a GS who was prepared to have a 'GO'(he lost),and god knows travelling Europe i've seen thousands of e'm,you just never see people really tramping along on GS's and when you question e'm they all tell you the same thing,their crap at high speed cuz the bufferting of the fairing is horrendous,so if you do any of you bikeing over 90,th decison is a lot simpler!!!!.

Chris

shags

Certainly not my intention to upset the natives..........it seems this topic always opens a can of worms.  Honestly - I have had a blast on both of these machines, and isn't that what it is all about really?  :)

Quote from: "Brock"I wouldn't dream of visiting a GS site and voicing my opinions. That would be insulting to GS owners.

I do. Because I own an "airhead" GS as well. And, because it's so un..bloody..reliable I don't care who I insult. The build quality is not the issue on my GS. It is the quality of DESIGN that is bollox! e.g. Gearbox rebuilds every 25K for gods sake! And that's just one example of many believe me!

The only thing I haven't had to take to pieces at some stage is the engine.

Having said all that, I do admire the GS for its ability to explore the real back tracks. It will, and has, taken me to some very remote places. Trouble is, I've always had to limp home with something gone wrong!