News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Potential Tiger Buyer..... Give me your thoughts..LONG POST

Started by sammyj18, June 11, 2004, 12:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammyj18

Hello All,

I have been lurking on this forum for a long time learning a lot.  Right now I own a Suzuki SV 650 it is my first streetbike, previous to that I rode dirtbikes for about 8 years.  I love my SV 650 it handles great and slices through twisties almost like a supersport.  However even with a Corbin seat the bike is just not comfortable for long weekend trips. So I am looking to add a bike that will be good for longer distance riding.  

I am trying to decide between the triumph Tiger and the BMW 1150R.  Both are about the same price.  Like most of you I like the idea of owning a bike you don't see some poser riding on every corner.  Both my uncle and dad ride BMWs my uncle rides the 1150 GS adventure which I see alot of talk about on this board.  One thing I really enjoy about riding with BMW riders and the Triumph riders I know is that they are into riding for the fun, skill, and sport of riding..... not to look cool or impress girls. Which is what most riders my age care about. (I am 23)  

The Tiger first caught my eye because of its unique looks. I really like the looks of this thing esp the 05 model with the silver frame.  Also my uncle goes on some really neat rides on his GS which leave the pavement behind.  I would like the ability to keep going when the pavement ends, although I would imagine 90 percent of my riding will be on the pavement.

So I guess I was just wondering how the triumph handles, and how it compares to the 1150R.  How does it handle in the twisties?  I would assume not as well as my SV.  Also how comfortable is the seat ergos for long rides?  I want a bike I can ride a 2k mile week on and not have to stop every 100 miles cause my butt burns like on my SV.  

One thing that concerns me about the triumph is talk that the finish is not very well done. I have seen posts that triumphs get rusting bolts and other parts with not to much use.  Is this common?  How is the Tiger for 2 up riding?  

Anyone have any experiance with the BMW 1150R?  I demo rode one once and it seemed comfortable.  Anyone know how comfortable it is for touring?  

Thanks for your thoughts this is a tough decision for me since they are exactly the same price and I have never actually ridden a tiger so I have no idea how it rides.  

Sam

Brock

Don't think we're being unfriendly...there's been a lot of discussion recently that will answer all your questions. You're in the wrong place for unbiased opinion on the Tiger. We all love it else we wouldn't be here!

Comfort for long trips is one of the Tiger's big advantages. And you'll find the extra power over your SV strangely intoxicating. Take a Tiger  for a long test run. You'll be buying one soon after.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

Just because i own a Tiger,doesn't mean i've become an arm of Triumph sales!!!!,selling Triumphs isn't my problem,I use my 1100s for going to races etc,and my Tiger for travelling long distance two up,you could buy a BM1200GS that would do both and might even be better offroad,and have a better finish!!!,as to 'IF' it would be as much fun,Rrrrrr thats another story,and thats why it's your problem and not mine!!.

My 955 handles fantastic,it's got Ohlins front and back,it steers even better,it's Supermoto'd,and it brakes even better than that,it's got Beringer brakes,so maybe i wasn't all that impressed with a stock Tiger,buti can assure you the 1200GS doesn't look all that attractive either, with what i'm rideing at the moment,but the new Sports Tiger does!!

The one thing i will say,if your thinking of going of road,go buy a KTM,it's as simple as that.

Chris

tigerjohn

Sammyj - there is really no contest. I test drove the R1150R and a Tiger. The Tiger was a lot smoother at low speed and pulled much quicker than the the BMW. It was also more comfortable to ride for both rider and pillion. And it was MUCH BETTER VALUE, despite the BMW dealer trying to convince me that BMWs don't depreciate. I think the Tiger actually has more 'exclusivity' (when did you last cross a carpark to look at a BMW?). I went for a silver 04 Tiger and I'm delighted with it.

I would'nt advise riding on the pavement though - here in the UK it's illegal and you could kill old ladies!  Or have I lost something in the translation?

sammyj18

Quote from: "Brock"You're in the wrong place for unbiased opinion on the Tiger. We all love it else we wouldn't be here!

Thanks for the replys so far guys!  Actually I am more looking for a biased opinion of the tiger.  I had my mind made up on this bike until I started lurking on this board and reading some of the posts about peoples troubles.  Just on the first page alone there are several posts where people have rusted parts and oil leaks on bikes that are fairly new.  I guess I am looking for why you guys love it so much!  

That being said I think that boards like these can give newcomers a bad impression sometimes because people usually only post when they have problems wondering how to fix it. Not many people post saying "just letting everyone know my bike just hit 10k and NO problems"  So to the new guy it appears lots of people have trouble when this is actually not the case.  

The BMW GS seems to be an excellent bike my uncle rides one and can take the twisties faster then i can on my SV(rider skill level difference).  But I think the bike is not so attractive and it is most definetly out of my price range.  Would you guys say the triumph quality can match that of the Japanese bikes?  I have had such a good experiance with my suzuki so far....and they do make the V strom but MAN is that an ugly bike.  

Tigerjohn: I assume across the pond "pavement" means what us continentals call a "sidewalk"?  HEHE :D  :D

Brock

Don't be put off by the odd leak that you see mentioned here...mine's had three now, but they've all been sorted really quickly and FREE under warranty. None of them were major, it's just that I do check around the bike regularly so I tend to notice stuff a bit more. NONE of these leaks (seepages) would have caused breakdowns. Like I said...you won't get unbiased opinions 'cos we all love the Tiger. What you will get though, is HONESTY. Only by talking to owners (the suckers who part with the cash) will you get that. Sure...I've had corrosion problems, but I've owned Suzukis too, and they were far FAR worse. My problem is, I don't put the bike away in winter. Many folks on this site have never had a leak or any sign of corrosion on their Tigers. I've tried all of the big traillies apart from the NEW GS (can't afford one anyway), and the KTM 950. None of them can live with a Tiger in the real world, none of them are as much fun, and NONE of them give the same value for money.

That's it...I'm off now.
Chris

ktmtery

I've had tons of bikes - dirt bikes and street bikes. My last street bike was an 02 DL1000 V-Strom and it doesn't compare to my new '05 Tiger! The Tiger handles better, has better brakes and is silky smooth compared to the Strom. Much better looking too. The fit and finish is great and the engine is higher tech than an air-oil cooled BMW GS. The Tiger is a much better value than the grossly overpriced GS which is really a cumbersome, overpriced, low tech scam! At least that's my opinion and I'm an expert ranked offroad racer.
I am a Northern Californis male born in London Ontario Canada known as a superman to friends. standing 6\'2\' 220 lbs. of unadultered muscle ready for any female mororcyclist on earth. Quite handsome too.

52blackshadow

Hmmmmm,  Methinks KTMtery has been bitten by the Triumph marketing bug?  Yes, the Tiger is a great machine, but in this and another posting he dismisses all the other big trailies out of hand!

BMW R1200 is 'Low tech' and the tiger is much better handling than bikes like the Multistrada!

I wonder if he has ridden either of these bikes?

Ride safe,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

Sasquatch

I have ridden them all and picked the Tiger.  Expert level off road racer, ISDE silver medalist, Amature roadracer.

So far this spring alone (you can see my ride reports in the ride report section) I have been over 6,000 miles, 7 states and at least 2,500 miles off road with my 955i tiger.  The tiger is a blast.  I can run circles around the Water Buffalo (BMW) off road, and be right with it in the twisties.  If the road opens up, the Tiger will be gone with a twist of the wrist.  

Speaking of off road, I actually broke a foot peg by JUMPING my loaded tiger off road, waaaaay off road.  I was doing the White Rim Trail in Moab, UT and was jumping off of ledges and having a blast.  The one that took my footpeg was a good 5 foot vertical drop that I launched off of.  The bike landed fine, but my massive girth, standing on the pegs, finally took the left one out.  I am now working on a redesign for that area...

I have not personally met anyone who will take their Buffalos where I will take my Tiger.  I am sure they are out there, but I have not run into any.  Most in fact have stated that I am nuts for going where I do, but the bike is fine.  Just take your time to learn the hadling traits before you go bashing it off road.  Oh, and buy/fabricate some proper skid plates.

Jay

Brock

Blimey...respect mate, respect.
Chris

Dick Boyer

The Tiger is a great bike but there are some exceptions. The tranny is rather agricultural, sort of Harley like. The design of the front windscreen needs help. Lots of wind noise. You'll go deaf without a full face helmut and ear plugs. Other than that, I positively love  my 04 Tiger. Very comfortable and stable at speed. Good power everywhere. Kind of quiet. Maybe I should try the race can. If you come off a Jap bike, you'll have to get used to the tranny. Shift slow and positive.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Dick Boyer"If you come off a Jap bike, you'll have to get used to the tranny. Shift slow and positive.

I do not find the shifting on my 955i any worse than the Yamaha sportbikes I have been riding for 20 years.  (FZ's, then FZR's, early YZF's and lately R1's).  But not as smooth as Hondas or Kawasakis though.  But I have had to rebuild Honda and Kawasaki gearboxes and never a Yamaha or Triumph... I'll take a bit of notchiness for strength anyday.

Brock

Bought my Tiger with less than 3,000miles on the clock about 18 months ago. Just trading it in for a new one with 12,000 miles up. After all I'd heard about Triumph 'boxes being "agricultural" I have to say mine is now as easy as almost any bike I've ever had. I won't mention BMW boxes...
Chris

BigDave

I didn't find the gearbox agricultural at all on both 955's I had.  The second was smoother than the first which was kinda tight and needed more presure to shift.  I'll give you that, that the 1150GS gearbox is a little odd.  Everything works fine.  Shifts smooth, dont miss gears etc.... With one exception.  Shifting into 1st while moving above 10 mph is horrible.  My old Yanmar Diesel tractor was less clunky.  :oops:

I test rode the 1200.  Still clunks going into 1st.  Its just not as loud.

ChrisN

Seeing these comments about the Tiger gearbox prompts me to ask just how many "neutrals" are in there ? I've had three, maybe four ?? One of them makes an awful crashing sound as it drops back into the gear I thought I'd left !! OK, I know its operator error, but heck ! And why do I think there should be a 7th gear ? Maybe I got my boots on the wrong way....
Chris