News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

another one of them darn lurkers (w/ a question?)

Started by s boy, June 11, 2004, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s boy

new guy here... hello all!

not new to triumph though and hang out over on the RatNet. i have owned 2 trumpets in the past and i really love the hinckley triples. the tiger 'mission' has always intrigued me and i would like to start taking in the many gravel roads that i so often pass by in my m/c life. i also yearn for longer ergos.

i did notice on my test run of an '05 tiger (about three weekends ago) that on decel... engine braking... that the exhaust rumbles and pops. it sounded good (sorta like a dirt bike wing-a-ding-ding only much deeper) , it definitely threw me at first... as i wasn't expecting it. is this normal on the tiger 3-n-1 exhaust set-up? or does it need an adjustment?

my '99 tBird triple did not do this.

i really love the tiger even though i was slightly on my tip-toes at stop sign position. i am 5'11". it may be in my stable soon...?! it's coming down to this or a gs. both great steeds.

al
~a good compass is fine, but true north is finite~

\'86 R80

\'03 Cocours

Brock

The popping you heard is normal for a triple. Don't ask me why they do it, they just do. On a race can that noise still gives me a rather naughty feeling in the underpants region. Don't expect any such noise from a GS, although the buzzing will make your testicles go numb.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

s boy

thanx for the info brock... come to think of it, while i was riding the tiger i didn't notice any vibs thru the power band??? but then again i was too darn excited and giddy to notice everything. i am sure if it vibrated like my concoiurs i would have noticed (the concours isn't as bad as it's made out to be... but it has a slight/steady buzz up on the high end).

so you say the gs has a vibration issue... hmmm?

al
~a good compass is fine, but true north is finite~

\'86 R80

\'03 Cocours

Brock

Some folks have noted that newish Tigers vibrate a bit more than well run-in ones. Mine's never been vibey in an way...bought it with less than 3,000 miles on, and she's now done 11,500. Always been smooth as silk. The GS though...less said about that the better.

The "popping" on a triple is one of the most evocative noises in motorcycling. The vibes you get from a GS simply make your plums numb.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein