News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Triumph Tiger Season Opener 09 - Lionheart Mansion - Germany

Started by GatorTiger, April 28, 2009, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorTiger

Well, a lot has happened since my last report. Life has been somewhat of a rollercoaster for about a year and a half. A new job presented itself in Germany and was too tempting to pass up. So with Germany on my mind we left Georgia to move to Hamburg.

Good ole GatorTiger got a parking spot in a garage in Jacksonville, FL. My first thought to bring the bike to Germany was dismissed due to German bureaucracy and their tech specs and all that stuff. So I left it behind, heavy at heart, for future visits to the US and a ready bike for trips!!

But I had to have a bike for Germany!! And again: another chance presented itself! Their was an orange steamer for sale about 30 miles from my parents house. Advertised with 110,000 miles... Had been sitting on the side of some side street in Cologne. Not really a looker, but inexpensive, and: a Tiger!!!! So it didn't take long for me to snatch the thing... While working on getting it road-ready I took a closer look at the odometer. Evidently the guy had been confused by the decimal counter, reading it as a full km! Consequence: it only had about 70,000 miles on it! Guess I really got a bargain then!

A bargain that proved to be a great deal: change the plugs, oil and gas, hook it up to a new battery, hit the starter: vroooom!!!! Oooooh yeeeeaaaah!!!!

With all the hustle and bustle of the move and finding a place to live and get situated it took me about a year to get the bike ready for inspection (passed!!), and the paperwork done to get my license transferred to be legal with that in Germany. But with that out of the way there is no stopping me!!

There is a active Tiger Forum in Germany as well that I had been a part of already for a little while. There I saw the planning for a season opener meet (Season Eröffnungs Treffen or SET) in March of 09. About 200 miles away in a region call the Weser River Mountains in a Biker Hotel called the Lionheart Mansion (or: Villa Löwenherz). 200 miles? Peanuts!!! Another short decision and I was registered!!

It was a weekend event similar to the US Ride Ins that tigertrax organied. Loose gathering of Tiger riders, good rides, good food, cold beer! You know: important things!!!  :new_all_coholic

The day of the trip came, the Tiger was packed

and I was ready to hit the road. I got on the bike, hit the starter, and that where things went downhill...  :shock:

Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Bruincounselor

:new_popcornsmiley

It's been a while. Waiting for the next installment.
Bruin\'

zadok_oz

Just read this over at Adv. Interesting.... :new_popcornsmiley
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

GatorTiger

Quote from: "zadok_oz"Just read this over at Adv. Interesting.... :new_popcornsmiley

Yep... True to the triple spirit I'm posting this triple style: here, triumphrat.net and advrider...  :wink:

Gotta do some evening routine things and then grab a beer and take care of the next installment...  8)

Cheers,
HG

GatorTiger

My brother and I bringing the steamer back to life after it had been sitting on the side of the street for more than two years. Changed the oil, changed the gas, and changed the plugs. Result: This is why they call it steamer!
http://video.google.de/googleplayer.swf?docid=-517086865296163420

Guess you can tell I'm happy!! :D

Cheers,
HG

GatorTiger

The starter went "si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-NO!". Tried it again: "si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-NO!" No start!  :shock:

Dang it! Not now!!! I had set a meeting time and place with some more Tiger pilots of the "Schleswig-Holstein fraction". I had some time cushion built into my schedule, but this was eating it up VERY fast!

Again: "si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-NO!" &%*$*$#*^##!!!!!!!!! The battery was new and the crank was strong. It would just not fire. I tried until the battery was so low the starter would hardly turn any more. Of course I had jumper cables. Of course there was NO car in sight to help me out... So I got the charger out and hooked up the battery to it. All I could do now is wait for the charge to go up.

So back in the house I sat down, did some mind games to calm down and control my anger, while the charger was charging.

And all that time my time cushion was loosing air. After half an hour I tried to fire the engine again. "si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-NO!"

This was getting old. I felt like Marty McFly when he tried to start the DeLorean in 1955! Back on the charger...

Another 15 mins later I tried again: "si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-si-BANG-BANG-BANG-Vroooooom!!!!!" Finally!!!

I quickly packed all the cables away, locked the house, hopped on the saddle and went. One hour later than I had originally planned. There went my cushion and then some. As a meeting place we had agreed on a rest stop on the autobahn about half way between Hamburg and Hannover. When I finally got to there (30 mins late) the group had already gone. Rightfully so. I didn't have any phone numbers and couldn't call anyone. Had to make the best of it. After all, some of my tours in the states had been solo and it was great fun!!

So I dropped some fluids and replenished some while GT/2 was enjoying the sun:

With this morning's coffee out of my system and new coffee in my system I got back on the bike - which started right up - and went on. This rest area's exit ramp back onto the autobahn was also an exit ramp off the autobahn. So I took that to take side roads all the way to the biker hotel. About 100 meters off the ramp the Tiger started to sputter and slow down. Didn't take any gas and finally died! WTF??? I tried to start, it briefly fired up, only to die again the very next second. THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!

I ran the starter again and again. Of course I didn't take the jumper cables with me on the trip! Smart... But then a though came to me: I have a Girly in the states and a steamer in Germany. And what does a steamer have that a Girly doesn't?? Right: a fuel tap! A fuel tap that I had closed when I got to the rest stop, but didn't open again when I left. When I opened it now and hit the starter: vroooom! Guess it was time for the cold sweat to dry off...

On with the show... The sun was shining, it was not cold, and bike was (finally) purring along, and I was having fun just gliding through the country... Finally again!!!

After a short while something caught my attention in the corner of my eye. When I had a chance to look at it I was already past it. I did a U-turn and backtracked a little bit before parking the bike on the side of the road:

And her is what made me pull over:

No, I wasn't back in the USA... It's part of a Disney World like them park in these parts, called Heidepark Soltau. That would have to wait for another day with the kids...

I continued on. Just enjoying the scenery, the weather, the riding... After doing about 20k miles/year the last few years and about 500 in 2008 due to the move this was like THE fix I needed!!! I could feel my battery recharging with every klick of the way.

The more south I got the higher the hills became. Familiar territory! I was getting close to Bad Pyrmont, home to my aunt  and an ex-girlfriend... I went to see my aunt and had about an hour of drinking coffee with her and my uncle before I rode on. I wanted to get to the biker hotel before dark. As the sun was going down it became rather chilly. Spring was here according to the calendar, but the temps had not gotten note of that yet...

With the sun just dropping below the horizon I arrived at my destination:

The parking lot was already filled with Brit metal!!

GatorTiger

After zig-zagging up the driveway (which can barely accommodate a car - after all, it's a biker-ONLY hotel!!!) I took a spot at the end of the line:

Even before going in I wanted to make use of the decreasing light and took a first short stroll through the parking lot to check out the bikes and take pix:

Here you can see the 'gate' just above the yellow top case

And here is the grandeur of the former home to a guy with last name Löwenherz. He made his fortune in the wood industry (furniture and all):

It was getting dark quickly! The whole trip today had taken about 8hours of driving time. 200 miles in 8 hours! Probably the lowest 200 miles in my live! But highly enjoyable! But I was ready to go inside, warm up, and get some cold ones.

The options for the weekend were simple:

- Lodging included AYCE dinner Friday and Saturday
- Lodging included AYCE breakfast on Saturday and Sunday
- You could get single or double rooms, or a "mattress"

Mattresses were in a room in sets of 12 to 15, set up as bunk beds. No sheets, one shower per room. BYOSB (bring your own sleeping bag)! I opted for the mattress, since it was the least expensive option. To give you an idea: for about $60 (give or take at the current exchange rate) you got 2 nights and 4 AYCE meals! And believe you me: they did NOT skimp on the food!!! Between what they had and the and the amount there was no room for lunch at all!!!! Simply awesome!!!

GatorTiger

Entering the hall was magnificent! High ceilings, lots of wooden wall coverings, open beams, grand staircase, just great!!!!

The pool table in the entrance hall had been converted into a big table for fixins and desert. To the right was the heavy artillery (meats and chicken):

Most of the gals and guys had already eaten and the amount of food looked pretty raided. Yet there still was lots left: Bratwurst, Chicken Wings, little seasoned steaks, chicken in mushroom cream sauce, chicken legs, half a dozen kinds of puddings for desert. Along with rice, fries, home fires and some seriously good (and fresh!!) bread! Can you say: shduffing!!!

The atmosphere of the entrance halls acted like a seasoning for the food as well:

I got me a free spot at a table and munched down the chow. Several waitresses (even a few cute ones!!) walked around and made sure that everyone had watering mouths... Or rather cold malt beverages in the glasses to keep hydrated...
Solidly and liquidy replenished I had to work out... Get up from my seat, that is... Man, did I stuff myself... Those extra helping of wings might have been too much. So I needed something herbal to help the digestion. I went to the bar:

This is only the 'main' part. There was some more to the left

and around the corner. All nicely decorated with "biker stuff". I need to get me a bunch of GatorTiger decals made to place them on the walls in places like this!!
True to the mansion's spirit the had the proper tab:

I got me an "Aquavit" and a new brew. Time to mingle... I found the "Northern Fraction" in one of the rooms near the bar. Figures... Meet the crew:

I got my "talkin' to" about not showing when I said I would or even calling to tell someone. Right they were! I need to get me cell numbers for the next event!

With waitresses showing and the beers flowing time passed quickly... I was having fun!! Before I knew it midnight rolled around and my eyelids were getting heavier. The new job and all the, err, involvement, was taking its toll... Time to hit the hay! After saying good night to the guys I headed towards the room. I was the first one there. The bunks were taken as everybody arrived, but they were all downstairs partying. So I had all the time to take care of my cucumber mask and pedicure without interruptions. After sliding into the sack I was out like a light quickly...

Something woke me up... From the downstairs I could still hear the deep bumping of the speakers... AC/DC were on the highway to hell... Having the room above the bar surely had its advantages: free and longlasting entertainment!

But there was something else... I took a look at my watch: 3am... Still half asleep I tried to get my bearings straight... Some of the bunks were filled by now. It was pitch black. I could not see them, but I could HEAR them!!! 5.1-Surround-Snoring!! Not just a little bit! These guys were cutting down a whole forest!!!
Took me while to fall back asleep, but I managed...
Next time I opened my eyes and looked at my watch it was 6am. This time I could not go back to sleep. I waited til 7am to take a shower and then went downstairs...

Groucho

I'd like to add three pictures from this meeting.
First the official banner of our meetings:
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx

Groucho

Second: Sunday morning - SOW COLD - Perhaps: Brass monkey...

Groucho

Third: A little talisman on every tiger the next morning.

HappyMan

Fabulous, fabulous Bericht! Fantastisch! Sehr gut.  Tis the extent of my German beyond telling the waiter that my lobster is small....

Man, wish I could be there.  I love Germany but add to that a Tiger meet!!  Triumph Tiger Regel!  Oh, and....Der Hummer ist klein.  :?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

GatorTiger

@ Groucho:
"Always slowly with the young horses"...  8) You're getting ahead of myself...

@HappyMan:
Sorry to hear about your lobster, man...  :wink:

More to come tonight...

Cheers,
HG

GatorTiger

Breakfast started at 9am. No exceptions!! The good news were all the things they were prepping!! Yumm!!! Bad news was: Coffee wasn't ready yet!! Over the entire weekend that was the very single thing that I might consider just remotely not perfect... Oh well! Good things come to those who wait!!

So I walked outside to take a look at the bikes in daylight. Still nice and cosi from a hot shower I walked outside in jeans and t-shirt, only to feel my breath freeze on my lips... WTF? The bikes looked like this:

That ain't no dust or dirt! Well, some of it is:  8)

And as Groucho already put it: it was lightly cool:

Even Garfield was shivering!!

I wanted to know how cold it really was, but needed to bundle up first. So I rushed back into the room - there was still forest sawing going on - and got me a sweat-shirt. For a brief moment I thought about getting some fresh coffee from the supermarket across the street, but after smelling some of that stuff I opted against it... Better wait and get a real cup later...

But what about that temperature? I strolled through the bikes and tried to find one with a thermometer. And sure enough I found one:

The -12C (about 10F) shocked me and I thought the things showed the wrong thing, but it was confirmed by another gauge on another bike. It was the end of March and it was not supposed to get that cold any more. But hey, what can you do? Put another layer on!

So I continued to check out the bikes some more. The were all scattered over the grounds. Couldn't call it parking lot. Think garden-park turned gravel with bikes on them!

One of the 'loudest' tigers around:

Speaking if bikes........ Now, I have a gator orange Girly sitting in a garage in Florida, I have an (lucifer) orange steamer. There is something still missing... RIGHT! A roady! I found it!!!

I will take that just like that! Wrap 'er up, please!
Although........ Red is not too shabby, either!!

All that bike-spotting made me hungry... Time was up! 9am!!! Chow time!!!

:D

GatorTiger

Back inside a line was forming already. Coffee was also ready!!! Yay!! So first thing first. Coffee, then some pictures...  Here is the part where the bread, coldcuts, and cereals are:

Further in the back far left were the warm things (scrambled eggs and such). Short decision: no more pics! Chow time!  :lol: My stomach was growling!!! So I loaded my plate with a couple of fresh rolls, ham, butter, eggs, some scrambled, some not, refilled my coffee, and got me a seat with my little group.

The weather was improving: sky was getting bluer and bluer, the temp was going up, and the coffee combined with a full tommy was doing the rest! Yet nobody was in a rush! We had all day to explore the area. A route was put in the GPS:

It was about a 60 mile round trip and would give a nice leisurely spin around the area all day. Outside the engines of many others were warming up already.

We finished up the preps and got ready ourselves. My Tiger had some trouble starting in cold weather lately and I had not taken my starter cables with me as you know. Strangely enough mine was not the problem. Another steamer was giving his owner a hard time. Eventually it came to life, though.

So we hopped on and started to leave...