News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

touratech skid plate

Started by abruzzi, August 04, 2007, 12:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

It's finally installed.  I need to take some pics this weekend, but I can confirm:

On my 2003, it does work with the Triumph center stand (the conflict seems to be with the 2005/06 models)

* With a tiny bit of grinding (~1/8") it works with the Thunderbike crash bars.

* I had to replace the left forward motor mount bolt (a longer one was supplied from touratech)

* I also had to replace the little screw/bolt on the left side footpeg mount.  Not the lower larger ones. just the upper one that stablizes it.  This was not supplied, but since the mounting frame for the skid plate spaces the footpeg plate away from the bike frame, the original wasn't long enough.

Once installed everything feels solid.  Somethings I do and don't like about the setup.  Overall I'm happy my oil filter is no longer vulnerable.

Geof

Stretch

I'm in the process of building one of my own.  I'm still working on its frame, but the attachment points are done.  I'll start a new thread when it's ready for its debut.

8)

abruzzi

Quote from: "Stretch"I'm in the process of building one of my own.  I'm still working on its frame, but the attachment points are done.  I'll start a new thread when it's ready for its debut.

8)

Cool.  There was a guy on the old board that had fabricated a real nice plate.  I have to say this one feels pretty solid.  The only thing I don't like is that the peg mounting plates are now spaced a quarter inch from the frame now.  That seems less than ideal with the gap, but I'll live--on to the next project.

Geof

Stretch

I'm putting my rear mounts inboard of the centerstand mounts, with longer bolts.

abruzzi

Quote from: "Stretch"I'm putting my rear mounts inboard of the centerstand mounts, with longer bolts.

I thought about that.  If I drill out the threads on the CS mount plates, I can replace the original threaded plate inboard of that.

So Stock goes (outside to in):

PFX

W/cs Goes:

PFS

W/CS and touratech goes:

PTFS

Drilled it could go (with longer bolts):

PFSTX

P=peg mounts
F=frame
X=threaded plate
S=CS mount plate
T=touratech skid frame

The tricks are:

S must be immediately inboard of F
P looks better, and mounts better next to F
X and S are threaded, to use both, one must be drilled out.

hopefully all that makes sense.

Geof

Stretch

Oh I see, your centerstand mount plates are threaded.  Triumph item?

I'm running the SW-Motech CS, and the mounting plates aren't threaded.

abruzzi

I got a chance this weekend to post the pictures of the install:

With the TB crash bars, the upper left fit fine, but the T55 engine mount bolt was too short, so I used the supplied replacement bolt. It now takes a 19mm socket.

Upper right was different.  You may see that the top of TT frame is ground down a bit to keep it from hitting the TB bars which are over the hole.  The T55 was long enough in the case, which is fortunate, because the 19mm head was too wide and hit the TB bar.

As mentioned before the lower mounts go between the peg mounts and the frame.  This spaces them apart in a way I don't like.  c'est la vie.  Here is the right side--no problem here.

On the left side, the mounting bolts are horizontal from each other, so there is a small third bolt that just adds stability incase you put a lot of weight on the peg.  TT supplied a spacer (not shown) to go between the plate and the frame, so you can tighten that bolt without worry of bending anything.  Unfortunately the bolt wasn't long enough and no replacement was supplies with the skidplate.  A quick trip to "Las Cruces Bolt and Screw" solved that.

After all was done, I needed Leonard's approval.  He seemed happy.

So there it is:

Geof

wvmike

Glad I found this post.I bought a whole setup from a fellow who crashed his Tiger.Parts are all there with all the bolts,but alas,no instructions :( .I am happy with the deal,but need some instructions on installation.was wondering if there needed to be a spacer on the foot pegs.Don't really like taking the footpeg plates away from the frame,but that seems to be working
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

wvmike

Thanks Stretch.Putting on the left side with crash bars now.Could'nt get out today to get my high fender kit.Looks like with the skid plate on I can use my lift to change tires.Now I gotta find a center stand that fits with the skid plate :)
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S

Stretch

Aabruzzi said his TT skidplate does work with the Triumph centerstand on his '03... the problem was with '05-'06 models, which have different swingarms from previous models.  Your '01 should be good to go.

zombie

My tiger used to be the same color as leonard
nice looking bird there

abruzzi

Quote from: "wvmike"Thanks Stretch.Putting on the left side with crash bars now.Could'nt get out today to get my high fender kit.Looks like with the skid plate on I can use my lift to change tires.Now I gotta find a center stand that fits with the skid plate :)

As stretch said, it's only the 05-06 years that don't work.  I have the Triumph center stand, TT skid plate and TB crash bars, and didn't require much faking it.  (the TB bars and TT plate don't work perfectly together, but only required a tiny bit of grinding, the center stand required no mods.)

I didn't like how the skid plate frame pushes the peg hangars from the frame, but I couldn't see any other way to do it.  You may need to replace the small upper bolt on the left side peg.  The stock wasn't long enough on mine.

The TT instructions kind of suck--at least if you speak english.  But good quality build overall.

One other thing--don't tighten anything until all bolts are started.  I should know that, but I tightened the frame, and then tried attaching the plate.  No go.

Geof

Stretch

Quote from: "zombie"My tiger used to be the same color as leonard
nice looking bird there

For real though... did the bird come Roulette Green, or did you have it painted?

wvmike

Wasn't thrilled with the foot pegs being pushed away from the frame either.Put some blue locktight on them for the feel good move.Didn't have any instructions,but was pretty much straight forward installation.I like the looks so far.Putting HT racks on tomorrow to see if I want to trade panniers back and forth from the klr.Looks like I might have to do a turn signal adjustment :roll: unless I drill different holes to move them alittle forward on the tiger.I'll just wait and see how that turns out. WOHOO,got my high fender kit today also.Friend of mine stopping out tomorrow to pull the brake lever (1000times)  :lol: pics in a couple days
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S