News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedometer Sensor Maintenance

Started by Stretch, June 04, 2009, 11:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch

Can I kick this ancient tread? Found it because the magnet in my Tiger is damaged also. They seem to be rather expensive, so would be great if superglue works  :rock-1:

Exactly like:
Quote from: PJD on February 13, 2012, 08:18:22 AM
At the weekend I took the front wheel off and found this on the speedo side of the wheel. Any thoughts as to why it might have broken? I put the 2 Euro coin and the caliper bolt in the photo to show the size.

Bixxer Bob

And maybe YOU could tell us if it works or not.  We're still waiting  :new_popcornsmiley
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Well Bob, the glue didn't work. Maybe still to much grease residue left, maybe it didn't want to stay in place properly because of the magnetism or maybe it was just me not being patient enough.

But it's in half like above pic, shouldn't be a problem as it can go nowhere. And since some fragements are missing I'm very sure it was broke before I had the wheel out, so it should work as is. Maybe the grease I had just was too thick, so cleaned it and used some thin grease. I'll find out tomorrow morning if I have to rely on the gps to tell me the speed for the next 1200 km / 750 M or that the Tiger will inform me.

By the way, are speedo sensor and brake calipers the same between spoke wheel and cast wheel Girly? I know a guy who is breaking a wire wheel 955, so maybe maybe maybe his magnet is still in one piece. Or I'll look it up on return, I now have to go find some clean socks and underwear to take along for the trip  :hat10

Stitch

If you still want to attempt a repair, you may want to try a 2 part epoxy on the "clean" surfaces. A rubber band around it should hold the shape while the epoxy cures. On this side of the pond we have a product brand called "JB Weld" ( 2 part epoxy) that has saved my rear end on more than one occasion. If you use a disposable plastic cup as a form, you could even fill in the missing fragments (as long as they are small) and sand them to shape.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Sin_Tiger

I suggest soaking the parts in some degreaser, warm it up a bit if you can, just keep it below the flash point :bug_eye

If you've ever seen the inside of a magnet that's been broken, I guess you have now  :icon_rolleyes: then you'll know that the grain is very coarse and it tends to soak up oils and greases. You'll never get it all out unless you make a determined effort.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I've not been into mine (maybe I should at least clean it out  :icon_rolleyes:) but I can't see from the parts how it produces a pulse for the sensor. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Bike parts that need a good clean do go in the dishwasher isn't it? Obviously only when the better half isn't at home  :violent1

When I left home it did give a reading. So it's probably not that the wiring got damaged when wresteling with the brakes. Odd thing is, it gave only a 40 km/h reading when doing about 80-90. Later on the weekend it was more 30-20 and by the time I got home it was close to 0. But than I was so used to looking at the Zumo for speed I hardly looked at the speedo at all. Good thing: milage hardly went up either  :hat10

New speedo sensor is quite expensive, but someone is breaking his Tiger. I'll ask if the magnet is in one piece. Wire and cast Girly's have the same sensor I presume?

Cheers, Dutch

PeteH

Speedo packed in a couple weeks ago and has`nt cured itself this time, so have checked just about everything out as far as possible.
Magnets still in one piece although it does have a hairline crack, all connectors appear ok with only one black/ground pin looking a little black, cleaned up ok and continuity is fine.
Has anyone ever checked for voltage at the sensor connector behind the cockpit? I tried with it split and engine running it gave ...bk/y to bk 13.21v and bl/w to bk 4.72v, I have absolutely no idea if these values are correct or what they should be.

One thing I have found out though is that the magnet produces eddy currents which obviously increase and decrease with the speed of rotation so we probably need to be looking for mA or smaller?

I managed to make a little tool for spinning the magnate while the sensor assembly isnt in place, saves reassemling the front end and spinning the wheel by hand.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour