News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bald Mountain - Apex Colorado

Started by BigDave, June 28, 2004, 03:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

The Bald Mountain area is just SW of Central City Colorado.  If you go up Bald Mountain road you will go through Nevadaville then end up at this quaint little mountain Cemetary.  Bald Mountain Cemetary.  

I got an early start on this ride so this was a nice stop to enjoy my hot coffee and mini bagels as I walked around to visit with the folks there.

From the cemetary, the road tuns into more of a "fire road" as you head up the hill.

Just up a few miles is an area where several 4X4/ATV trails spring off.   I decided on Hamlin Gulch.

Hamlin Gulch was pretty easy overall.  As I further down the hill, I got a little more concerned as I had never been there before.  I found a place to get her turned around and I came back out.  Back at the sign there was more of a conventional road that ended up at Fall River Road.  That road goes to Saint Mary's Glacier.

So on the way back from the glacier, I saw a sign.  "Hamlin Gulch."  I was delighted.  So off I went.  I figured I'd see just what it looks like from the other side.  I first had a hard time figuring out which way to go.  Then I saw my route on the GPS from my attempt from the other side.  I finally was in line with meeting up with my previous route.  

I stopped here to walk up a ways to see what I was in for.  Sure enough, about 300 yards up was my tracks where I turned around.  Walking back I took special note of the trail and was making plans where and where not to ride.  I got on and made it though and back up to the top without a hitch.

Once back to the top, I took the other side of Bald Mountain Road back to the Central City/Blackhawk area.  Had a $3.99 prime rib lunch at The Red Dolly.  Then it was time to go up to Apex.  Apex is a great riding area.  Full of rocks though for sure.  The trail system goes over to the Rollinsville area.

Here  is the view from the top of the Apex area.

As you head down into the valley, you find yourself in a maze of trails.  I need to hook up with Wayne Weber as he knows which ones to take to get to the other side.  Another day, another ride...

Wrangler

Great pics and post Big D.  Can get a good sense of your ride today.  I'm an 03 Tiger owner who has yet to muster anything more than a few K off tarmac.  Todays ride was 700K through Northern Ontario.

You've been slagged recently on the BMW vs Triumph debate.  It's all shite.  Good to see you still postin on the great Triumph Tiger website you created.

It is about the ride

Wrangler
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

BigDave

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't expect any other non-Tiger owners to post their rides in here, but since its my website, I like to share.   :D  I figure it might inspire local and visitor Tiger riders to explore in these areas as well as give ideas to those in other areas with similar terrain.  :idea: