News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another potenial buyer, a different set of concerns

Started by desert rider, July 05, 2004, 09:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desert rider

I am thinking of buying a 2005 Tiger.  I test rode one Saturday, and loved the way it felt.  A short test ride, however, doesn't answer all the questions I have about the bike, and I figured this forum would be a good place to get some answers.  I am sure there have been previous discussions about my questions, but I didn't find them looking through you postings.  Please forgive (or just flame) me if the answers are in plain view and I didn't see them.

Here are the areas I am hoping you can educate me:

- Maintenance and reliability: I do as much as I can on my own bikes.  Being unfamiliar with Triumphs, what type of things need regular care, and can it be done at home?  For example, can I get to the valves for adjusting,  and how often would I need to do it?  Any adjusting required on the fuel injection?  Special tools needed?  Any particular weak spots with the Tiger?

- Ergonomics: is the stock seat acceptable for long (700+ mile) days?  Do the faring and windshield do a good job of protecting you, or are you beat up after a long day in the saddle?

- Mileage: the tank is huge, is that because the engine is thirsty?  What kind of mileage could I expect?

- Carrying capacity: I can load my R1150GS (w/Jesses) up with a ton of stuff for camping solo, is that possible with the Tiger?  Since it comes with bags, I would try to use them, but they just don't look that big.  Are there places to tie down a Rev-Pac or other type of bag?

- Sturdiness: How does it handle a tip-over?  Does a low speed drop mean a big parts bill to make it look new again?  Are the after-market crash guards a necessity?

To tell you the truth, I recenty put 900 Alpine miles on a R1200GS, and I really liked it. But the thought of shelling out the cash for the bike, then another grand for bags is just too much for me to bear right now.  The price of the Tiger makes it a real bargin.

Of course the biggest problem if I decide to get one is my wife likes the Lucifer Orange and I am leaning towards Sliver.  

Thanks,

Tim

daddystarr

While I cannot speak to your long term maintenance concerns yet (I too am a new owner) I can tell you that the question you are posing is the most popular question from potnetial buyers I have seen.

Lot's of people are going with the Tiger from a cost point perspective and finding a long term love for the bike. No bones about it, the Tiger is a LOT more affordable and a great bike for the money.

With the tubeless tires on the 2005, they have addressed the major weak point and the metal construction vs. plastic makes it a winner over the strom.

I picked the Tiger and not just because of the money. I really got a thrill out of the bike that the BMW just didn't give me. Good luck.[/i]
http://elegantcode.com

01 Tigger

77 XT500

94 GSPD (Sold)

ATDRS

Good questions.

I only have 1100 miles on my 05 but have not had any problems yet.

Routine maintainence is the same as any other m/c. You should be able to do all that you want. Not much plastic to remove for access. Valves are checked @ 12k miles. Shim under bucket style so a tool is useful.

I weigh 280 lbs. and have the three piece luggage set. With that loaded,not overloaded, and my 110lb wife onboard there are no problems.

As to the seat's comfort that is up to ypu. Mine will be built up for even more leg room and the pass, seat will be built to be flat per the wife's request. At 6'5 I ride above the windshield and have no problem with it.

Big grin factor when riding this. I came from a 900lb Yamaha Venture to the Tiger after having had an 02 V-Strom. The Tiger roars and is much more unique than the Bimmer.

I had very little time on an 04 Tiger but I am very happy with the changes in 05 . Glad I waited.

Enjoy and ride safe.

Tim

v-strom

Brock

Desert, you'll find all the answers right here if you look hard enough.

A lot of Tiger riders have considered the GS but stayed with the Tiger. Some have changed, and good luck to 'em! No doubt the GS12 is a good bike and an improvement on the 1150. But the price? They're taking the piss. The standard luggage on the Tiger is OK but not very accomodating. I believe Touratech do some more "functional" cases. Comfort is a personal thing, but you won't find many moans about aches and pains on this site. If the Tiger fits my own hideously deformed and mutated form, then it'll fit anyone. The engine? there's nothing to touch it. No contest. When it's run in properly your Tiger's engine will produce the kind of vibe-free, creamy power that you  only ever dreamed of. And it's unique. The fuel injection  is maintenance-free. And when you fit the race (sport) can AND YOU MUST, just get the dealer to re-map the efi (a 10 minute job).

Anyway...don't listen to me. I'm biased.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

desert rider

Thanks for all the advice/opinions.  I agree with a lot of what you said.  The engines on the two Tigers I have ridden were exceptionally smooth, and once wound up the power comes on strong.  If it's as reliable as it is fun to ride, I don't see how you can beat it.

Go to the BMW message boards, and you will see a lot of discussion about what seat to buy, what bags to buy, which crash bars will save your bike, and which ones will crack the transmission case if you fall over.  I didn't see as much of that here.  

Don't get me wrong, I have been riding BMWs for years and I have really enjoyed them.  After a week of riding the R12GS, which has a lighter and more powerful feel than my R1150GS, I really want a lighter bike.  If I can get that from a Tiger for $6000 less, that sure sounds great.   I'm still chewing this over, I'll lurk on this board for a while and come back when I've made my decision.

Tim

Chris Canning

Were the Tiger differs drastically from a beemer,is the injection system with my 1100s you've got what you've got,keep it the same and thats it, with the Tiger there has been either 18 or 19 upgrades on the management system,not all good i might add,but that is certainley something you will have to go to a dealer for.

The one i have at the moment is 18,it's a little odd i have to say,but the lack of vibration is even better than it was before,and peformance is reasonable but not as brisk as some of the others i've had installed.

If your looking for a bargain,i'd buy an 04 model in preferrance to an 05.

Chris