News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

NM-CO-UT-AZ-NM

Started by abruzzi, July 13, 2009, 02:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

This post is going to be an experiment.  Rather than waiting until after my trip, sorting through a thousand photos, and posting then six months later, I am going to try posting as I go.

The trip:

Day 1: Mesilla, NM to Grants, NM -- 346mi
Day 2: Grants, NM to Chama, NM -- 255mi
Day 3: Chama, NM to Gateway, CO -- 311mi
Day 4: Gateway, CO to Torrey, UT -- 326mi
Day 5: Torrey, UT to Jacob's Lake, AZ -- 228mi
Day 6: Jacob's Lake, AZ to Pinetop, AZ -- 361mi
Day 7: Pinetop, AZ to Mesilla, NM -- 301mi

Departure is next Sunday, 7/19.
Distance: 2128 miles

I the next couple of days, I will post up some maps showing the routes we'll be taking.  I'd love comments and suggestions from anyone that has ridden this area.  Unfortunately, my father will be on a cruiser (2001 Honda Magna) so pavement is a must.

Geof

abruzzi

So here is the plan (more or less):

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

HockleyBoy

Pavement or not, that looks like a great trip you have planned there through some fantastic country.

Take lots of pics for those of us who cant get their Tiger's to the US State parks quite so easily!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

sanjoh

A great resource for routes (and the threads on ADV): http://www.advmaps.com/

For on the go reports I've been using Spot Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/prof ... r_id=42552

All my adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/trips?user_id=42552

Of course you need a spot device.

It works great but like any RR you have to keep up with it.  Mobile broadband helps tremendously.

We will be heading into Southern Utah in the next couple of weeks anyone  have a some dirt tracks?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

TheMule

Abruzzi,

Just got back last Friday from a shortened trip (rear shock went out) and hit a lot of the roads you are planning on traveling. Starting with day 3 the 141 in CO from Gateway to Nucla is simply outstanding, a must ride.

On day 4 I might suggest continuing south from Blanding and tying in with the 163 to Mexican Hat and then north on the 261 which will allow you to ride the Moqui Dugway, a feet of road engineering that has to be seen. Be aware that the road thru the dugway is gravel for a couple of miles but well worth it. Alot of neat stuff after you tie back into the 95 headed north all the way thru Hite. After passing thru Hite there are a few miles of fantastic stuff then it is straight and relative unimpressive thru Hanksville. West of Hanksville on the 24 things are spectacular once you hit Capitol Reef and the 12 is another must drive on a motorcycle.

89 south of the 12 into Kanab is pretty good and 89A to Jacob Lake is OK. Seems a shame not to take 67 from Jacob Lake down to the north rim of the grand canyon when you're that close, I'd recommend it if you have time.

89A to 89 after Jacob Lake is pretty spectacular, the Vermillion Cliffs are fanatastic at the right times of the day.

89 from the 89A/89 intersection south to Flagstaff is nothing special and you will really want to watch out for idiot drivers on this stretch.

The 87/260/180 stretch is spectacular high country driving just watch out for elk and deer as the collision rate on this stretch is pretty high.

I live in Kanab so if you need anything as you get close PM me.

thanks,

Todd
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

abruzzi

Thanks for the info.  Torrey to Jacob's Lake is a short day intentionally.  We''ll check into lodging at ~2pm, then ride down to the north rim.  If my dad had an ADV bike, we'd be camping at Toroweap--one of my favorite places.

I wish there was something better from Page to Flagstaff, but we need to make time (that's a long day) and there don't seem to be many alternatives.

I'll look into the Moqui Dugway route though.  Thanks,

Geof

TheMule

Abruzzi,

I'd try to set aside a few hours to ride with you when you come thru except the Tig is layed up with a bad back right now (awaiting a recently ordered Hagon with uprated spring and remote adjuster).

have fun,

Todd
Todd

abruzzi

Tell me, what condition is the dirt road in the Moqui Dugway? Is it solid or loose? is there much sand?  My dad is on a cruiser, and I don't want to commit to anything that might be difficult for him.  Loose/deep sand would be the most difficult.  Anything hard, even washboard is fine since we will be going slow.  It does look pretty spectacular.

Thanks.

Geof

TheMule

Geof,

It is very solid, no sand. The day I came down it I passed two goldwings headed at the very bottom on thier way up. Also saw several passenger cars at the top headed north. It was almost pavement.
Todd

aeronca

safe trip to you both - remember - lots o pic's.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

abruzzi

Day 1: 349 miles.

The first stretch from Mesilla to Deming and Deming to Silver City is flat and boring, so no pictures.   North of Silver City it starts getting nice.  The pics start just past Glenwood where the riding gets real nice.  We are in the Motel 6, ready to head to Chama tomorrow morning.  Pictures Below:

This is my bike packed up and ready to go, the day before.

Outside the Old Town Restaurant, where a chorizo and egg burrito gets me off to a good start.

A pause on the twisties north of Glenwood.

White Sandstone cliffs between Apache Creek and Quemado

North of Quemado.

Some of the cliffs near El Malpais.

GPS reading at the end of the day.

More pics tomorrow, hopefully.

Geof

coachgeo

Great pics.

Thanx.  Hope that large pack mule bike hanging out with you does not hold ya back  :lol:
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Stretch

Awesome!  I toured around that area solo back in '97, on my '88 Honda Magna.  Not a lot of dirt-roading for me that trip, but I still had a tremendous time.

Louis

Looks like a fun ride.  You should be getting some cool mountian weather today.  It's only 99 back here in Cruces.  Maybe you should get a shot of the best looking food service personal while you are out snapping shots.  Give your working brothers a treat!

abruzzi

And now for day Two.

First off, we shot a few panoramas.  I'll link to them rather than display them because they are kind of big:

Cibola Forest

Navajo Land near Chaco Canyon

Near Cuba, NM

Past Cuba

Abiquiu Reservoir

And now for the other photos, sorry, no time/energy for commentary:

Until tomorrow...