News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

General Forum Comment

Started by ArizonaKid, July 08, 2004, 05:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

Having just sold my 2002 BMW K1200RS and 97 Ducati M900 and transitioned to my Triumph Tiger and a BMW F650GS for the wife I've noticed that the volume of discussion on this forum is much less and responses seem to lack the depth compared to the K1200RS and Ducati Monster forums I frequented previously. I'm wondering if it's because there just aren't that many Tiger pilots out there, or perhaps there's another discussion forum out there that most use to discuss Tiger stuff that I'm missing. . . ?

I've posted a number of what I thought were pretty good questions and posted a few "for sale" posts here over the past few months since I purchased my Tiger, but they've received very few replies.  Replies to other posts are pretty thin as well.  The format and software used on this site seems to be very good and should facilitate good discussion, but the volume of discussion just doesn't seem to be there.  Any thoughts?
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Chris Canning

I'd have said less anal than most!!!,and bare in mind there are several other forums.

Chris

BP_LONDON

AK, I've noticed exactly the same thing here....very little activity on this board in general  - this is the the cause of the light threads. I think it's because of the other Triumph forums like t955i.net  and tigerlist.org which takes some of the traffic away from this board. I also think that Tigers are not very common at all, I see maybe 1 per month on the roads in London I see around 10-50 BMW's per month at least  - so yes, far fewer Tiger drivers out there than say, Fireblades ot bimmers  :o  :D

Brock

You're quite right...it is a quiet site. S'pose we're all happy and content, and busy riding our bikes. Try putting in something controversial...go on...
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

ChrisN

Despite our choice of bike the Tiger is not a popular motorcycle. To me this adds to its attraction but the downside is forums such as these will never be well populated.

This site has 362 tiger members

TriumphRat.net has 4905 members for the whole Triumph range, lets be generous and say 10% are Tigers

t955i.net has 1069 members, again lets say 10% are Tigers

Yahoo Tiger group has 1532

Yahoo UKTigerRides has 145

I make that 2632 Tigers. Take off duplicate memberships and those who have moved on to other bikes and your left with less than 1000 Tigers representing planet Earth! We're an endangered species!! So you're damn lucky anyone replies at all..... hello......hello...........
Chris

BigDave

Keep in mind this website is still really new.  Less than a year old.  The Yahoo list has been around for a long time.  I've noticed a considerable increase in traffic over the last 3 months.  I have placed links on all the other boards and lists.  Its just a matter of time before it gets deeper in here... :shock:  No matter what, there really is not that many Tigers out there in comparison to other brands so by nature things will be a little more quiet.  The Tiger Forum on Advrider died a slow and miserable death and they have thousands of members over there.

I plan on changing the entry page as to not scare off the search engines.  I will also be adding meta words in the code so the website will come up under more search words.  Any other ideas to make this place better is ALWAYS welcome.  :idea:

As you were....

ArizonaKid

Thanks for the thoughts. I had no idea how long the site has been around, but I'm glad it's been growing.  A suggestion for all of us who freqent here. . . let's not be shy about jumping in to any discussion and offering recommendations and opinions. Whether you think your thoughts are valuable or not, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so don't be afraid to offer up your opinions and, of course, keep it civil.  for one, I particularly like the "how to" stuff and talking about mods that make our Tiger work better.   I'll continue to visit here just about every day and participate as much as possible.  I look forward to hearing from all of you from time to time.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

TigerTim

Quote from: "Brock"You're quite right...it is a quiet site. S'pose we're all happy and content, and busy riding our bikes. Try putting in something controversial...go on...

Having just come from the GS site I agree its VERY quiet, but they have 2k plus members, how many here?

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

ChrisN

Hello....hello....Tim....

Check my post above.....
Chris

TigerTim

Quote from: "ChrisN"Hello....hello....Tim....

Check my post above.....

D'oh

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

Chris Canning

Chris N

You missed Yahoo Tiger owners,there's quirkey posting rule on the original Yahoo site,and they get a little shitty and send you threatening e-mails(I kid you not!!!) so another site was up as an alternative.

Plus the fact i think this site ticks along quite nicely,good mixture of nationalities,although it amazes me how many standard Tigers there are out there.

But if you go over the different threads, covers just as much as any of the others.

Chris

MuddyStuff

OK Chris I'll bite...

The "quirkey posting rule" isn't quirkey in the slightest. For those who don't know, Chris is referring to the fact that when replying to messages on the Yahoo group, you're meant to snip out most of the original message that you're replying to. Unlike this board, the default behaviour on Yahoo is to automatically include the previous message in its entirety when you hit reply. All we ask is that people delete that, so you don't get the same messages over & over again in an ever-lengthening thread.

The main reasons for snipping are so that the digest mode & web interface 'expand all' mode are easy to use. To give an idea of what it would be like without the snipping, imagine if every post on this board included all the previous messages in that thread. Then multiply that by the number of posts on the Yahoo list compared to here. Then imagine you're using a dial-up connection, & paying for the time you're connected. Even if you're on broadband, it can still be a pain in the arse looking through a mass of multi-level quoted text trying to find out what's been added, especially as some people reply at the top, some at the bottom & some in the middle.

In other words, the rule is there to make the list faster, easier & cheaper for the majority of the users, at the expense of adding a second at most to the time it takes to reply to a post. Unfortunately a small minority of people are either too dumb to understand the need for the snipping, or too selfish to give a stuff about the 'silent majority' who benefit. Personally it makes no difference to me, as I get the messages by individual emails & have a fast broadband connection. But being one of the moderators, it's up to me to 'enforce' the rule. This usually involves a very polite request to new members who may not have read the FAQ or List Netiquette file. Most people are happy to oblige, but occassionally you get an asshole who thinks the list is purely for their benefit & gives you aggro. Other people just carry on hitting 'reply' & rely on a moderator to sort their crap out - they're the ones that really piss me off. Hence I now just reject their posts rather than doing their editing for them.

I don't know what the "threatening e-mails" are you've received, but I do know they weren't from me. If they were from one of the other moderators, then frankly I'm not surprised given the abuse he's received from several people including yourself on the tiger-owners list!

Rant over.
Preston Kemp

http://www.muddystuff.co.uk

Off-road Classifieds

Chris Canning

Hi Preston

There's a great temptation to reply to that load of bolloxs,but i don't think it needs any,people can draw their own conclusions

Chris

MuddyStuff

Why is it bollox? I'm just calling it as I see it. If you think I've got it wrong, let me know why.  Obviously none of it was aimed at you as I know you haven't posted since long before I became a moderator.
Preston Kemp

http://www.muddystuff.co.uk

Off-road Classifieds

ChrisN

SNIP

I don't know what the "threatening e-mails" are you've received, but I do know they weren't from me. If they were from one of the other moderators, then frankly I'm not surprised given the abuse he's received from several people including yourself on the tiger-owners list

SNIP

Why is it bollox? I'm just calling it as I see it. If you think I've got it wrong, let me know why. Obviously none of it was aimed at you as I know you haven't posted since long before I became a moderator.

SNIP, SNIP

Sorry, just practicing my snipping tecniques!! :roll:

Come on guys, draw in those tiger claws,. We're already an endangered species.....
Chris