News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So, I've won the Ebay bid on the Tiger in Scotland....

Started by BP_LONDON, July 08, 2004, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP_LONDON

The bike is going for £4000, Early 2002 955i, Black, 5500miles. Seems like a really good price to me (compared to London prices). What do you guys think (and, is it one of you selling the bike?). I'll go up this weekend or next weekend to have a actual look and make sure the bike is tip-top as advertised. Any tips - things to look out for when actually viewing? Buying on eBay is sometimes a little bit of a gamble, but I've never had any problems with items....this would be the largest I've ever bought through eBay.

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :EOAB:UK:6

ChrisN

Congratulations!!

From what I can see on the pictures it looks like a straight bike (but that depends when they were taken!?) Has it had the 6000 service? If not that'll set you back about £120 very soon after you proudly park it back in London. Also new tyres will soon be on the horizon, but not just yet. Hopefully the paperwork will all check out and put your mind at rest. The price looks good, but you've earned the discount if you've had the balls to bid without seeing first hand. Good luck and keep us posted.
Chris

Brock

That sounds like an excellent price. My 2001 with 12,000 miles on was worth £4,500 in trade-in. Slightly different, I know, but it still sounds like a good price for a newer bike with less miles on.

The usual things will matter when you look at the bike. If it's nice and clean, corrosion-free (check the spoke tighteners and the lower engine cases) and it looks "looked-after" then it will be well worth the money. It probably won't have had the 6,000 mile service, but if the owner is really picky (like me) he'll have changed the oil anyway at 3,000. Check for leaks...oil under the engine cases at the joints, or coolant at the lower edge of the water pump on the l/h side. Now it's out of the warranty these things could cost to put right. As usual, a chain oiler is a good sign, but the lack of one isn't the end of the world. Extras such as luggage, centre stand and grips are a BIG plus. Instinct is your friend and if it feels "wrong", then it probably is. Obviously check all the engine/chassis numbers against the documentation. Best of all, take someone along as a "second opinion". Good luck.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

BP_LONDON

Well, have put down a deposit on the bike, HPI checks out totally clear. I'll be going up to Edinburgh this coming weekend to have a close look and test ride... :shock:

Reallly looking forward to this...it all seems good and in order so it's now (hopefully) just a matter of waiting till August 15th for my current insurance to run out. I'll have to figure out a way to make sure the man receives payment for the bike the same moment the shipping company takes posession of the bike... :o as I'll not be able to be there in the flesh...

Any tips for a secure handover of payment remotely? The whole deal looks and feels fine, but I have learned never to completely trust anyone.

52blackshadow

Is there any reason you don't want to just take the cash to Edinburgh, ride the bike then if all is as stated just pay the man and ride it home?  Going up there for a test ride then waiting for a month before paying someone else to ship it down for you sounds an awfully complicated way of doing this!

Hope this is helpful, I'm not saying your way is wrong, but it does sound a bit long winded!

Ride safe and enjoy it!

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

ChrisN

I think I'd just take out the Tiger policy early and ride the bike home this weekend after paying cash. Ok, its gonna cost a little more but you've already saved money on the purchase price and you won't have to pay for shipping. And more importantly, July wont seem so long!!
Chris

BP_LONDON

To be honest I'm not sure if I would be ready to do such a long ride on a bike I've just bought. I'd prefer to just get used to it a little before doing long trips....and in the end of the day the cost of petrol and wear and tear is going to be similar to the cost of having it shipped down to London (£190). I know it's a wierd way of doing it, but hey, I've never been to Edinburgh so I just choose to see this as a little sightseeing trip with an exciting interlude in the form of viewing my potential future bike.  8)  :shock: