News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

"Dead" Tiger electronics - help

Started by atokad, August 27, 2009, 02:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atokad

2006 Girly
Battery is Charged - 15.5 v at the terminals
Battery at the terminals when the key is turned on - 15 mv
Main fuse - good
Sasquatch fix fuse - good
Kill Switch - On

So I went out to start it, put the key in (felt like ignition switch was just a little off - key did not slip right in)

Turned the key - there were all the normal dash lights for just a flash of a second, hit the starter at the same time, one itty-bitty click, then nothing.

It acts like the kill switch is off, but as I indicated, it is on.

At first I thought the battery was dead, but I keep it on a tender so I thought that was unusual and as it turned out, is not the problem.

I think I have not ridden it since I washed it last, so what am I missing? What else should I check, others fuses hidden somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Stretch

I have heard of wires breaking just under the ignition lock.

atokad

Stretch - do you have the wiring diagrams for the 05-06 that would include the ignition switch and kill switch?  There isn't another fuse somewhere that I am missing is there?

Thanks

oxnsox

Also check for water/ dirtyness in the kill switch...  Theres been another thread here about these fouling up and failing.

In the Haynes manual (97 to 05) shows an Ignition Fuse. Supplies power to the Ignition unit via the kill switch, also probably powers the ECM, Fuel pump and general instrument cluster.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

atokad

Quote from: "oxnsox"Also check for water/ dirtyness in the kill switch...  Theres been another thread here about these fouling up and failing.

In the Haynes manual (97 to 05) shows an Ignition Fuse. Supplies power to the Ignition unit via the kill switch, also probably powers the ECM, Fuel pump and general instrument cluster.

I took the fairing off and checked the wiring harness and plugs from the ignition and kill switches. All looked good there.

Any idea where this fuse is that the Haynes manual shows? Are you saying it's in the kill switch?

oxnsox

Fuse is in the fuse block with the others down under the seat. So start checking there. If its not the fuse then check the kill switch contacts.

With the IGN on you should be able to measure battery +ve volts at the kill switch, BE CAREFULL because the handlebars will be neg so you don't want to start sparks..  If you can measure +ve there (with Ign ON) then IGN is OK. You should be able to measure the +volts on both sides of the kill switch. If its only on one side switch is in KILL position or contacts are dirty.

The contacts may look ok, but because they are exposed to the air (and other elements) you should still clean them as they will develope a film which can stop the switch working properly. Remember to turn IGN off to do this. Probably also a good idea to remove Main fuse whilst you have the switch apart.

Correction to earlier post:
Power comes Battery  -->Main fuse -->Ignition switch-->Kill switch-->Alarm shorting plug-->IGNITION SWITCH FUSE and then to other items.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

atokad

Problem resolved - nothing more than the battery. I thought that it was odd that the battery was even bad. As I said I keep it on a battery tender and therefore the battery was reading 15 v. However, when I tested it with my voltmeter and the ignition turned to the "on" position, it dropped to 15 Millivolts.  At first I thought that was maybe indicating a short somewhere.

Simple fix - took the battery out of my KTM 450 and put in the Tiger and sure enough, everything was fine. So I took the Tiger battery into a battery store and had them test it there. The results there - Fully charged but 0-ZERO capacity under load.  They thought it was odd too. Said they normal see a reduced charge level that corresponds to a near equal reduced capacity level.

Electronics are not my thing but I guess maybe the Tender does a nice job of keeping the battery charged, but cannot help with failure when it comes to cranking capacity??  I blame it on my garage getting too hot and the bike has sat for the last 3 weeks!  Got to get it vented so it can cool off quicker on these blistering Colorado days. Geez, it's been in the 80's here!!  :D

oxnsox

Good result... Now you'll be able to enjoy the warmth.... by making your own breeze.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EvilBetty

I've been seeing a lot of weird Tiger behavior resulting from a weak battery on threads lately.  I just replaced mine last night but it's been raining and I haven't taken it out yet.

Tomorrow I'm riding it to work and stopping by the dealer for a ECU TOR tune and TPS reset...   Hoping all will be working top notch again.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD