News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil light problem.

Started by 52blackshadow, July 12, 2004, 12:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

52blackshadow

Anyone out there suffered from Oil light problems?  I set off for work this morning and within  a mile the oil light had come on. I stopped and checked the oil level but it was full.

The bike is a 2002 955i with about 10,500 miles on the clock and had a service about 2,000 miles ago.

Decided not to risk it, I got the BMW out instead.  I suspect a bad sensor, but any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

Brock

I had this once. I'd just pressure-washed the bike and ran the engine to help dry her off. Oil light came on, and stayed on. Ran the bike around the block and after about 15 minutes the light went off and I never had it happen again. Weird.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

52blackshadow

I did wonder about that, because I washed the bike on Sunday morning and put it away wet.  I didn't want to risk my commute to Norwich if there was any doubt.

The only small question in my mind was why it didn't come on immediately, and why it stayed off for a short while when I restarted the bike?

I'll try it again when I get home and see if it has dried out by then.

Ride safe,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

52blackshadow

I got home on Friday and got the Tiger back out of the garage. I took it up the road and the oil light came on again after about 1.5 miles. I rode it for a further half a mile and then left it switched off for about half an hour, after which it rode home fine, and the oil light has not shown itself since.

It seems as though water enters somewhere (my guess is round the connections to the sensor) and causes a bad reading, which results in a glowing oil light. Is this acceptable?  I have lost a weeks use of my Tiger because I didn't want to risk riding it with the light on.  I may now find that next time the oil light comes on I don't take notice of it - what if it is showing a real problem this time and I wreck my engine?

If Triumph are going to fit sensors and warning lights then they should be clear and ACCURATE.

Any opinions?

Cheers,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

Brock

Quite right! Take 'er in to the dealer and give 'em hell!

Seriously...maybe the sensor (if that's the problem) is faulty or some wires need wrapping.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

echoyankee

That most of this bothers you after a wetting does make one think about an electrical/sensor fault, true.  

I, never one to let the obvious stop me from developing a more complicated explanation, am forming a theory on something oil-related.  

You say the last maint session was about 2000miles ago, right?

The oil was changed at that time, right?

When you examine the oil NOW, does it appear dark/burnt or a happier, more intermediate chocolate syrup looking?

Equally puzzled,

echoyankee