News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rollins Pass, Mt Evans, Squaw Mountain

Started by BigDave, July 15, 2004, 05:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

Just another couple day rides here in the Rockies.

2 Saturdays ago, I went up through Golden Gate State Park to Rollinsville and then up the pass. Here is the area where Wayne Weber & I took our bikes snowmobiling on December 31st.  A little less snow right now...

On the way up.

Yanke Doodle Lake as it gets fed with melting snow.

And Where The Rivers Start

Above the lake continuing up the pass.

Getting closer to the top.

And this confirms it.  Yes, the pass IS CLOSED.  The tunnel ahead caved in many years ago and was never repaired. It looks like there are trails that go around the tunnel.  The start at the lake.  They looked a little steep for me.  I may try it with someone that has been up there on a big bike.  

The tunnel.

Back down the pass, I stopped at the Moffet Tunnel which is in use.

Going back towards Rollinsville, I searched for the road that cuts back to Apex and was pretty sure I found the right road.

So it was back down through Central City and back home for another wonderful Saturday in paradise.

Last Saturday, I opted for a little more tarmac.  No less interesting as I had a desire for Mt Evans.

Mt Evans is just a spectacular sight.  It was near 100 degrees in Denver on that day but only about 50 near the summit.  All these pics are up passed the lake as I didn't get farther than the lake last year when I went up.

The air sure starts to thin above 12,000 feet.

Its amazing looking down at 12,000-13,000 foot peaks.

Up at the top you can see forever...

There is nothing like being above 14,000 feet.

On the way down I saw a mountain goat just enjoying the scenery.

So I went the rest of the way back down and headed toward Evergreen.  I was not going to do and rough dirt today, but when I saw the little road that goes up to Squaw Mountain Fire Lookout on my GPS, I couldn't resist.

Its not far.  Maybe 3 miles in.  Road was rough but the rocks were not loose.  Nobody else was up here.

Here is looking back at the last stretch of road before the lookout.

No shortage of rock up there.

More pretty views.

About time for the ride home...