News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Got the bike home

Started by rf9rider, November 29, 2009, 12:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Well Chaps, picked up the Tiger.
Been out for a quick ride, all is good.

Just one thing, it has a different swing arm, shock and suspension linkage, meaning my new centre stand won`t fit, anyone know what its off?

Timbox2

The old sprints amd trophys had a setup similar to that, but there should be an end cap with a grease nipple this end screwed into the thread you can see, bit worrying as the end cap holds the pivot in place, and obviously stops all the grease escaping and crap getting in

look here

http://www.bikebandit.com/1993-triumph-motorcycle-trophy-rear-suspension-linkage/o/m17537sch560995
2016 Tiger Sport

aeronca

OH God Bless Ya, another blue steamer 8) .  looks good kid.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

NeilD

believe that set up was also used on early Speed Triples.. as mentioned above, looks like there should be a screw in end cap/grease nipple like this?

image taken from this site..
http://www.mottleybiker.com/page22.htm

bike looks good though - how noisy are the 'silencers' ??
nice to see a reasonably local Blue Steamer..  8)  :D

Neil

rf9rider

Thanks all.
I managed to get hold of a Haynes manual for the Tiger, so looks like its from a Trophy etc.
Looks like i`ll be looking out for an original swing arm and linkage, as i`ve already bought a new SW Motech centre stand, and it won`t fit with this set up. :cry:

rf9rider

Quote from: "NeilD"bike looks good though - how noisy are the 'silencers' ??
nice to see a reasonably local Blue Steamer..  8)  :D

Neil

Neil, seen your bike and noticed you were almost local to me, though mine doesn`t look as good as yours yet!

The Carbon Company end cans are pretty loud, sound nice bit i`ll be putting the originals back on, although they need some holes welding first.

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

[quote="rf9rider, though mine doesn`t look as good as yours yet!

.[/quote]

mine just photographs well  :D

MIMbox

ebay seller Nick-W is a fair guy. Ive had lots of bits from him.
With regard to swapping back to original, bear in mind it wont be just the swing arm, you will need all the suspension items for the rear linkage, possibly the shock, the chain rub blocks may be needed, you may also have a different rear wheel as well. You want to be really sure you need to change all this for a centre stand. If it feels ok, you may want to live with it for a while, and price the job before you dive in.
Steamers, gotta love them.

rf9rider

Quote from: "MIMbox"ebay seller Nick-W is a fair guy. Ive had lots of bits from him.
With regard to swapping back to original, bear in mind it wont be just the swing arm, you will need all the suspension items for the rear linkage, possibly the shock, the chain rub blocks may be needed, you may also have a different rear wheel as well. You want to be really sure you need to change all this for a centre stand. If it feels ok, you may want to live with it for a while, and price the job before you dive in.
Steamers, gotta love them.

Thanks mate, i`ve got all winter before i`ll use it, so plenty of time to work on it.

I`ve just bought a few bits from Nick, and awaiting his reply about the swing arm.  :D

Sin_Tiger

Yeah another Blue one, I think that was the one I enquired about off ebay, guy neede it gone that week so it didn't work for me. Glad you got it and at that price even if you have to do some remedial work you have a good base to work from.

Nik seems to be a good sort, I've got my hand up for some bits from him, you beat me to the bike please don't nick the bits out from under me  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Yeah another Blue one, I think that was the one I enquired about off ebay, guy neede it gone that week so it didn't work for me. Glad you got it and at that price even if you have to do some remedial work you have a good base to work from.

Nik seems to be a good sort, I've got my hand up for some bits from him, you beat me to the bike please don't nick the bits out from under me  :lol:

Yup, got it off Ebay, and only just down the road from me.
I`m only after the original swing arm set up, so don`t worry about anything else.  :wink:

Sin_Tiger

Cheers.  :wink: I looked at Nik's swing arm but it's not much better than mine other than the bearings and seals might be in better condition. Just had an email from him and he has some shock drag links so he might be able to help you out there too, he's rebuilding one for me, stuffed bearings again  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

coachgeo

Quote from: "rf9rider"...I`m only after the original swing arm set up, so don`t worry about anything else.  :wink:
Before you go getting an OEM swing arm... call the guy who put yours on there.  He may have had a damn good reason. For all we know the guy did it on purpose to improve something.  That something may be an advantage that makes that one worth keeping on there.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

rf9rider

Quote from: "coachgeo"
Quote from: "rf9rider"...I`m only after the original swing arm set up, so don`t worry about anything else.  :wink:
Before you go getting an OEM swing arm... call the guy who put yours on there.  He may have had a damn good reason. For all we know the guy did it on purpose to improve something.  That something may be an advantage that makes that one worth keeping on there.

The owner before the previous owner put it on, i`ll have to try and find out.

The shock on it now has more adjustments on it than the original, so thats one advantage.