News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introducing Rocinante

Started by Rocinante, December 13, 2009, 10:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

Hi everybody

I am relatively new here and just want to introduce myself. I'm Norwegian and have a 1998 BRG Steamer with 140 Kkm on the clocks, which has been mine since it was new. It took my wife and me to Ushuaia and back in 2000-2001.

I was about to find a retirement spot for her in the back of the garage and buy a KTM 690 Enduro R as my focus was moving more and more towards offroad, when I saw Patrick Rielos Tiger a few months ago here and on ADVrider.com and fell madly in love.

So for the last few months I've modified Rocinante into a more brutal off road Steamer, and I'm very happy with the result, both looks and abilities. Her she is:

She's now a mix of 10% KTM, 80% Triumph and 10% other stuff. :)

Some more pics:

This you might call the road version of Rielos Tiger Trail. I'm not going to take her to the tracks, so I opted for a low cost modification with focus on weight reduction and rider geometry improvement. I'm almost 2 meter tall, and have raised the bars and seat and lowered the footpegs to fit me better. Corbin seat (6 kg), engine guards(heavy), part of the rear frame and original exhaust is all gone and has reduced the weight with about 20-25 kg, resulting in her weighing about the same as an Africa Twin.

I still have work to do, like making the seat fit better in the front(for looks only), convert the front wheel to 21 inches (waiting for parts) and remove more unnecessary steel in the back, which will bring the weight down further.

Now she's got studs and is ready for her first winter outside. I took her for the first real spin on icy backroads today, no snow only wet and frozen tarmac, and although a bit nerve cracking at times, it was a lot of fun.

Let there be snow!

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Rocinante"....I took her for the first real spin on icy backroads today, no snow only wet and frozen tarmac, and although a bit nerve cracking at times, it was a lot of fun.

Let there be snow!

:shock: I always though you lot were mad....

:lol:

Nice job, and some good ideas.... welcome to the funhouse :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

It looks nuts!!,but kinda sexy too :roll:  :twisted:
godt å ha deg her
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

KuzzinKenny

det er noen ekstreme sykkel !!  :rock-1

aint Google Translate brill  :lol:

Welcome to the Tigger forum Rocinante !!

KK

ps i hope i got it right  :shock:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

aeronca

THAT IS REALLY FRICKIN  COOL!!!!!!!!!   welcome aboard - hope you have some more photo's - both past and present.     eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Colonel Nikolai

:rock Really cool! Where did you get the pipes? The high front fender is the best looking one I've ever seen. What is it?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

HappyMan

Man those Steamers look sharp.  Nice job and welcome to the board.  8)
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Rocinante

Thank you for the welcome, guys.

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Rocinante"....I took her for the first real spin on icy backroads today, no snow only wet and frozen tarmac, and although a bit nerve cracking at times, it was a lot of fun.

Let there be snow!

:shock: I always though you lot were mad....

Not mad, just plain stupid.

No, driving on snow is in many ways like driving on gravel, and can be a hell of a lot of fun. I've done it two winters on a 350, and would never have taken the Tiger out on snow without that experience.

But I'll have be carefull and will probably have some scary moments.

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"det er noen ekstreme sykkel !!  :rock-1

aint Google Translate brill  :lol:

Not to bad. I got the meaning.:)

Quote from: "aeronca"THAT IS REALLY FRICKIN  COOL!!!!!!!!!   welcome aboard - hope you have some more photo's - both past and present.     eric

Thanks. For pictures from the past I guess a visit to the home page in the bottom here is a place to start.

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai":rock Really cool! Where did you get the pipes? The high front fender is the best looking one I've ever seen. What is it?

The pipes are Motad I think. There's no label on them so I'll have to ask my dealer to be sure though.

The front fender is from a KTM 660 SMC 2003, as is the rear sub frame and seat. The fender is a bit too short to catch all the dirt thrown up by the front wheel, so some of it finds it way over and hits the front lights. I hope this will change when I convert the wheel to 21 inch.

Dag
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

Correction: The exhaust is Norman Hyde, not Venom.

Dag
www.dagjen.no

Nick Calne

Probably the coolest thing on the internet.... 8)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

looks great..  8) the modified rear end and exhaust make the bike look quite compact..

harre

Welcome Dag. Nice to see that you have kept Rocinante. I've red about your travels some years ago. Radical Steamer. Looks really mean.
Norway rules. Røros to Aursjövägen and Eikesdalen (Meringdal camping) is the best bike-day I've had so far.

Sin_Tiger

That is just too cool for words, Norske or English  8)  

KK how about these farkles for your Girly  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Rocinante

Quote from: "nickcalne"Probably the coolest thing on the internet.... 8)

:) I like that. There are probably one or two out there that would disagree, but I'm with you...

Quote from: "harre"Welcome Dag. Nice to see that you have kept Rocinante. I've red about your travels some years ago. Radical Steamer. Looks really mean.
Norway rules. Røros to Aursjövägen and Eikesdalen (Meringdal camping) is the best bike-day I've had so far.

Hey, someone remembers.:)
It's been eight years and then some since we came back. Time flies. But Rocinante stays. I decided back then that she would stay with me forever, since it was too battered and I'm too melancholic.
I've ridden Aursjøvegen and it could have been Meringdal Camping we stayed at in Eikesdalen. Just stunning!

I go every year to OTC offroad rally Bukkerittet in Rondane, not far from Røros. It's a gravel adventure and well worth visiting if you're into such a thing as three long days of gravel riding in the best of Norway's nature.

Now it's 5-6 cm of fresh snow outside and I'm taking half a day off. :wave
www.dagjen.no

ArcticTiger

Hei Dag, nice to see your bike and read your story!
Your bike is same year and color as mine, what separates them are 120 000 kms! Its good to see that I have lots of kms to look forward to.
I like your modifications to your bike, nice stance!
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...