News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

EXTREME MAKEOVER........Steamer Edition

Started by Mustang, January 21, 2010, 05:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

OK the old girl has 65k on her and its time for some upgrades ......

In this Installment we will convert the front wheel to 17 inch Trophy Wheel with increased rotor size to match for better braking .

First thing you need to do is flip the Trophy rotors over so the outside is now the inside . This is because the steamer forks are a lot closer together than the Trophy , or you could swap out the steering head with Trophy parts . but it really isn't necessary

In this photo you can see how much closer to the wheel hubs the rotors become once flipped

Next you need to have some spacers made up , there are two ways you can do this  
1st is make the spacers like this pic  so that they will insert into the  wheel bearing Inside diameters

Doing it this way you won't have a speedometer anymore unless you go with a trailtech Vapor or similar which will involve replacing the gauge panel . Didn't like that option , every one says it's the only way , I say  :Topes

option #2
goto the lathe and remanufacture the Trophy speedo drive so it will fit into the confines of the Tiger fork tubes

When you are done it will look like this

BTW it is now 3/8ths of an inch narrower than original and has had machining done to clear the wheel hub

Next you need to make a couple of adapters for the Brake calipers

Next mount your new rubber and I am a big fan of the Dynabeads for balancing , they work no matter what the naysayers spew for info against them . They just plain work and the tire wear and ride confirms it , I like em .

I stuck a big honking Shinko 705 in a 130/80/17 tubeless that is really for the rear , all you have to do is mount it backwards so the rotation arrow goes the wrong way and presto , front tire .
 When you mount the wheel on the bike the speedo drive gets moved to the right side because thats the way the Trophy works and it gives me a functioning original steamer speedometer that is still calibrated correctly .  :wink:

Look at the size of this bad boy , it should work good in soft sand kinda like a pw200 yamaha .

Stay tuned more to come
next installment is New high mounted front fender and the finishing touches to the front end . :thumbsup

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Dr. Mordo

Great stuff, as always.  Is this the one with the sidecar?

Sidecar Motard! That's a pretty good band name.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Nope it's Tigger 2 my favorite .......I am turning it into what Triumph should be making for a Tiger
It's going to be awesome !

Follow along .............More installments coming
waiting on some parts right now

rf9rider

Nice work, will be following this one.

Why the need for caliper brackets?

Wouldn`t smaller discs and original calipers work?

Or different calipers?

And what price for the spacers,speedo drive and brackets to forum members?  :lol:

Mustang

Quote from: "rf9rider"Nice work, will be following this one.

Why the need for caliper brackets?
need to offset the calipers for the bigger rotors

QuoteWouldn`t smaller discs and original calipers work?
steamer rotors won't fit the trophy wheel

QuoteOr different calipers?
the calipers are Nissin 2 pots same as the trophy , they are the steamer calipers

QuoteAnd what price for the spacers,speedo drive and brackets to forum members?  :lol:
send me a PM

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mudhen

\'96 Steamer

Mustang

More coming soon ........
the front fender came in today and the big ass Dunlop 616 too !

Sweet Eye-talyin goodness

Big rubber

have to order some new custom made Galfer brake lines to reach the calipers  and need to get a hunk of aluminum to make my new custom fork brace out of

more to come ................... :new_popcornsmiley  :wings

Mustang

Had a little spare time so got the new Dunlop mounted onto the Trophy rim and all spiffed up ..........installation was a snap , just use the Tiger wheel spacers and it  bolts right on and mates up to the Trophy brake rotor just like it was made for it

Look at the difference in the stock tiger tire which was a 150 / 70 Shinko 705  compared to the Dunlop D616 which is a 180/55
WOW  :shock:  :love10

New chain Guard coming and need to find some time to make the new front fork brace and mount the sweet Italian high fender up .

Mudhen

\'96 Steamer

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

OK finally got back to the Steamer ,  and got all the bits machined/ fabricated for the ol girl so got her assembled finally ....................

First is the ass end ....

The Touratech Chainguard for Girly bikes  will bolt right onto a Steamer Swingarm , you just have to use the bolt for the front mount that the rub strip for the chain , so that bolt does double duty , and the rear mount lines up perfectly with the steamer mount hole , so no modification req'd .

Another shot of that monster Dunlop D616

Onto the front............

Made a new fender mount for the CRF450 Honda front fender , and installed this trick speedo cable guide that came off an old RD350 Yamaha. keeps the speedo cable nice and tidy

This shot shows my custom made fork brace ..........

a close up of the fork brace , and as an added touch I machined "TIGGER 2" into the top of it

The custom machined Trophy speedo drive , wow it's tight quarters in there but it all came together nicely .

And some new custom length Galfer brake lines to finish off the front

Should be more to come
I want to finally install the centerstand that has been hanging around the shop for years and somehow has never managed to make it onto a bike yet , I guess I really don't miss having one  . Been 12 years now without one on the old girl .
And I want to add some Aluminum Panniers , but I do kinda like my Givi's
And I want to modify make a new front sprocket cover ........but nicer weather is coming and these last few projects might get put off until next winter
 :ImaPoser
I think the old girl is probably gonna get a bath and a wax job and I'll ride the wheels off it and nothing more will get done until she is laid up again next winter .

Pics next post of the whole bike once I wash and wax her and she is all sparkly ...definately has the Super Motard look going on .

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

John Stenhouse

Mustang, what's the bit about turning a rear tyre around makes it a front? Can you do that with fronts?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting