News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Rub Block

Started by rf9rider, February 02, 2010, 05:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Now the swing arm is fitted, i`ve just ordered a new rub strip and rub block.
The strip is a straight forward fit, but i`ve looked through the steamer pics on here and in the manual, and its not clear where it fits exactly?
Can`t see where or what it actually bolts to?
 :oops:

Any help? Cheers Chaps.  :D

Mustang

even the triumph factory manual doesn't really show where it goes ............
It doesn't go on the swingarm like you would think .
it goes on the main frame right behind the foot peg bracket there should be a round steel ferrule welded to the frame right there , thats where the bolt bushing and rub block bracket attach with 1 single bolt .

If your frame is missing the ferrule .......that means that at some point in the bikes life the chain and rub block were so knackered that the chain ripped the whole mess right off the frame . I tried to snap a pic for you but it is no go as there is too much in the way to get a clear photo.

this is the best shot I have of it
look at the bottom footpeg mount hole ...see the bolt head just to the right of it thats the rub block bolt  thats where the rub block attaches to the main frame

JetdocX

My homemade version lasted longer than the stock one I replaced it with (twice, now).  This shot is from the rear looking forward at the lower chain run.

From parts unknown.

rf9rider

Thanks Chaps, thats cleared that one up.
I`ve ordered a new one yesterday, along with the nut, bolt and spacer as its all missing.
As usual, its on backorder, not in stock, should be here in 2 weeks.  :roll:

rf9rider

Things just got worse.
Just been out and had a look, no bracket.  :cry:

Think i realise now why it had the Trophy rear end on it.  :roll:

Looks like trying to make up a bracket and have it welded on or another frame.

Theres a couple on Ebay at the moment, might have a closer look to see if they`re undamaged.

Sin_Tiger

Might be easier getting a bit of Teflon fettled up and clamped onto the footpeg tube, just a thought :?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

or you could just weld a new tab onto the frame ..it's just a simple little tab with a hole in it to mount the rub block on .........would be a lot cheaper than a new/used frame and one could always use thicker steel to make it better than the original mount .

In your pic look just to the left of the chain at the bottom of the square frame downtube , see what looks like a pc of stamped steel attached to the inside edge  ?

That's the remnants of the mounting point for the Rub Block .

Sin_Tiger

Mine being in bits in the workshop I might be able to put a bit of cardboard in there and trace it and draw it up with dimensions - IF I remember when I'm in the workshop  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Mine being in bits in the workshop I might be able to put a bit of cardboard in there and trace it and draw it up with dimensions - IF I remember when I'm in the workshop  :roll:

That  would be a big help and much appreciated.  :D

If you have a printer/scanner, you could always Email me it?

rf9rider

Just looking at pictures of the rub block bracket on bikebandit parts diagram, does the curve of the bracket fit under the round part of frame to stop it turning when the pressure of the chain is over the top of it?

Won`t really be able to do much until the new one arrives in 2 weeks.

Guess i can start cleaning all the muck and crap off and get it cleaned up ready for a trip to the welders.  :roll:

Mustang

Quote from: "rf9rider"Just looking at pictures of the rub block bracket on bikebandit parts diagram, does the curve of the bracket fit under the round part of frame to stop it turning when the pressure of the chain is over the top of it?

Won`t really be able to do much until the new one arrives in 2 weeks.

Guess i can start cleaning all the muck and crap off and get it cleaned up ready for a trip to the welders.  :roll:
Yep thats exactly how the bracket on the rub block works .........it's an easy fix BTW  once you have a new plate made up the weld job is easy .
 :wink:

BR

Well, I don't have a decent picture of the bracket but here's one with the new block in stalled.

I've since worn that one out but then I made another one out of a block of plastic (gives another view of the bracket).  I'm going to re-do it using some abrasion resistant Ultra High Molecular Weight Polypropylene (UHMW PP has very low coeff of friction; std PP in there now).  This also moves the chain's rubbing point forward to put it close to being directly under the swing arm's pivot pt AND it'll protect that frame cross member just below the chain (block is partially hidden and actually much longer than you can see).  Jury is out on whether any of this makes much of a difference or improvement over the OEM rubbing block... certainly going to last longer IMO.  :wink:

Brendan
'98 BRG Steamer

cochris

Thanks for all this info, guys. I was wondering why my chain drags on the pavement.

Yes, I am that stupid.

NeilD

Quote from: "cochris"Thanks for all this info, guys. I was wondering why my chain drags on the pavement.

Yes, I am that stupid.

well when I first rode mine, I couldnt work out what the graunching noise was - the chain running over the bracket with the rub block missing would do it I reckon!!!  :oops:  

NeilD

'RF9' heres what a new one looks like..

I 'think' I held on to the old bracket to see if I could make up a replacement 'guide' (but dont think I will).. if you need to have a look before your new one turns up (2 weeks? Webbs got mine next day?) then let me know

Neil