News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Highland Inspiration

Started by ChrisN, August 11, 2004, 11:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

I recently got back from a great tour of the Highlands. I waited 4 weeks for the right weather forecast before leaving at short notice - and it payed off with over 200 stunning digi pictures and perfect riding conditions. My route was mainly west coast via Dunnoon Ferry. Covered most of the the western Highlands including the famous "Applecross" road, along with a few other remote tracks. I also did the top coast across to JoG for the official photo, then back to Ullapool before returning south via Keilder and the Lakes. I know its all been said before, breathtaking scenery and quality asphalt - whoever designs and maintains the Scottish roads should be knighted!

It was certainly the most fun I've had on my Tiger which now has over 8500miles on the clock in just 4 months. If anyone needs any recommended routes, let me know. I did the whole trip without once looking at a map, using pre-planned routes on GPS. As for the seat, all I can say is my buttocks must have been made at Hinkley. I averaged well over 300 mile per day with one day over 400 without too much arse ache. Although for light relief I stood up whilst doing 60/70mph down single tracks - what a blast!

For anyone who needs inspiration to make a similar trip, or for anyone who's just plain interested, I've posted a full report and some of my photos on the net at http://www.chrisneary.co.uk/gallery.html

Please feel free to add any (sensible) comments if you wish.
Chris

echoyankee

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I just lost 20 minutes of my work day to these great pics.  Then another 20 minutes figuring out how to get the motorcycle to scotland.  :)

Best,

echoyankee

BP_LONDON

yes, great pics indeed. I'm extra interested as I'll be touring those areas in the not-so-distant future...

TigerTim

Quote from: "echoyankee"Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I just lost 20 minutes of my work day to these great pics.  Then another 20 minutes figuring out how to get the motorcycle to scotland.  :)

Best,

echoyankee

Me too.

Excellent piccies ChrisN.

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

TigerTim

Quote from: "echoyankee"Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I just lost 20 minutes of my work day to these great pics.  Then another 20 minutes figuring out how to get the motorcycle to scotland.  :)

Best,

echoyankee

Me too.

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "TigerTim"

Best,

echoyankee

Me too.

Regards

Tim

Well, as it happens i'm riding my tiger back from Scotlan this weekend!

echoyankee

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Well, as it happens i'm riding my tiger back from Scotlan this weekend!

Funny, I think you've got the easier drive to London than I have to NYC.   :wink:

Best,

echoyankee

ChrisN

Thanks for the comments and glad you liked the photos.

I just got back from our family holiday in Spain and have been seriously considering taking the Tiger there next year as an excuse for a 3000mile tour, interupted by two weeks in the sun. Anyone got any recommended routes and best ferry options?

I was thinking along the lines of Le Harve and down the north coast of France to San Sebastian then south across Spain to Valencia and down to Costa Blanca area. Return route via Barcellona and east coast of Spain to Montpellier, then north through central France. Lots of scope for taking in the best scenery and roads...

It's easy enough to plan routes on GPS but I'm looking for good motorcycling. Avoiding motorways whenever possible, but still making good milage.
Chris

Chris Canning

Hi Chris

I(we) have been down to Valencia three times in recent years on various Tigers,normally go Le-Havre and then go down through central France/Toulouse/Andorra/A and B roads down to Tarragona and get on the motorway for the last bit.

Going home has ranged from cutting across country from Valencia/Zaragoza/Bilboa,the last time we went south to Cordoba/Lisbon/Salamanca/Picos de Europa/Santander,the Brittany ferries is shit loads better than the P+O,both a bigger boat and cheaper,although they have recently added  a new fast ferry,it also made a pleasant change docking in Plymouth and instead of Portsmouth.

When we've been short of time(we visit friends there) it's been a straight thrash down the motorway,got of the ferry in L/Havre at 6:30am saturday first day Carcassone and rolled into Valencia 4pm sunday 1400 miles!!! ,to cover anykind of distance in France you'll have to motorway it at some time,Spains a different kettle of fish!!! it's possible travel big distances with without them.

Chris

Phil/TX

Great Photo's Chris, I felt like I was there with you. :lol:

davebikeuk

great photo's Chris takes me and the wife back to may this year when we did those same roads along the west coast of scotland up to Ullapool and Durness for a few nights. Great scenery and good roads highly recommended for any bikers.

Just got back tonight from Westport  in Ireland after a couple of days the scenery was good but the roads are not as well maintained and gripy as those in Scotland.
DAVEBIKE