News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to change your Stator / Breather Seal

Started by EvilBetty, April 20, 2010, 11:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Two reasons to be messing with this.  Your having a charging problem and you have determined it is the stator or rectifier.  OR your beast is drinking oil and your finding it in the breather tube or in the air box.

If replacing part of the charging system, for best results replace the stator and rectifier at the same time.

Alternative to OEM.
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/partsearch.php

You will also need...
$12 for a stator cover gasket,
$35 for a new breather oil seal (early 2005 models and older 955i bikes).

Determine if you need to remove the crash bars or sump guard to remove the stator cover.  If so... make it so.

Disconnect the stator harness (up by the fuel rail).

Disconnect the breather tube (2005 and earlier).

Remove the many screws for the stator cover.

The cover is held on by the screws, the now sticky gasket, and magnetism.  There are tabs for you to use with your hands in trying to remove the cover.  If it won't budge, a little rubber mallet may free the gasket.

The stator is bolted to the stator cover, so the cover will come loose a little, but then the magnetism will want to keep it mostly in place.  pull it out with a little more force, evenly.  you should now have a cover and stator in your hand.

Some oil may escape, but not very much.  (and you're stator should not be dangling by your shifter.)

One bolt holds the bracket that keeps the stator harness against the cover.  Remove.

3 bolts hold the stator to the cover.   Remove.

The stator is now loose.

While you have the stator out, take the cover to the dealer to have a new oil seal pressed in, unless you have the means to do so yourself.  The first time I did this job I used a screwdriver to remove the seal and a socket to install the new one.  It didn't work out so nice.

*IMPORTANT!  DO NOT REMOVE the green (plastic... sometimes a different color) mandrill from the oil seal until RIGHT BEFORE you install the cover back on the bike. If you suddenly begin loosing oil, and find it dripping from the breather tube or air box... this would be the first place you would want to check :)

Install new Stator and Rectifier.  Torque to spec.  

Put a little sealant around the grommet and set it into the case.

Install new gasket over pins.

Remove plastic mandrill from oil seal.

Now, when you install the cover, the stator is going to want to YANK it out of your hands as it gets near the hub.  Keep a good grip on it.  Line up the cover with the guide pins and install it gently.

Torque down cover per manual. :icon_study

Wipe off any excess sealant that might have come from the grommet area.

Plug everything back in and turn the key...

:occasion14
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Advwannabe

For anyone else attempting this job, once you've cleaned up the cover and the gasket mating surface you may find one or two of the metal locating dowels have transfered over to the stator cover. Clean them up and install them in the engine case side. Makes it much easier to keep the gasket in place while you are installing the cover.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180