News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A short Saturday morning ride

Started by MikeBenzon, September 05, 2004, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeBenzon

Yesterday I took a nice short ride before my wife awoke from her typical Saturday morning sleep in. From where I live in Burney CA it is about an hours ride west to Redding. So, I put on my riding gear (Triumph leathers) and headed to Redding and Starbucks. It is fifty miles to Redding. Hwy 299 traverses up over Hatchet Mountain summit at 4300' and down to Redding at 250' elevation. The road follows a combination of ridge tops and small canyons carved by mountain streams. At 7 am there is not much traffic and I am allowed to ride my desired pace through the highway's sweeping turns. I usually set my pace between 65 and 70 mph, nothing hairball, and settle into a nice rythum. I am always amazed at how guickly I reach Redding riding my bike at the same speed I travel in my pickup. The bike has a way of passing time the pickup doesn't. The weather was a little brisk in Burney, about 39' F. There was quite a sting to my neck from the breeze that slips over the Tigers windscreen. As I crested Hatchet Mt summit the air dramatically changes to much warmer air due to the influence of the hot Central Valley air. I knew this would be and I was quite pleased with the results. This is about the third weekend with my 05 Tiger and I feel like I am settling in well with the bike. I had some nice lean angles in the tighter sweepers and the bike just cut through the turns like it was on rails. Wow, what a bike! I arrived at Starbucks and parked the bike out front so if any riding friends passed by they might recognize me and stop in for a visit. After I finished my Latte, I mounted up and headed a different route home. I headed east on Hwy 44. Hwy 44 goes up to the north entrance of Mt Lassen, through Shingletown. This road can be fun to ride if it is early in the morning before the traffic builds up. Not the case this morning. It was already 8:45 am and there seemed to be a fair amount of people headed to the mountains for that last camping trip of the summer. I worked my way through the traffic as best I could without appearing as a squid. I was able to enjoy a few of the twisty sections at my pace without being held up by the cars. All morning I have been passing by motorcycles going the opposite direction and it certainly is good to see so many other people enjoying the day on their motorcycles. There were single riders and riders in groups. One particular group ( a GS, RT, Dakar, Suzuk and something else) I passed on the way down from Burney to Redding, I would later pass again on my return to Burney. Only I would pass them on the east side of Burney as I had made a complete loop. Back to my ride, the skies were clear and blue. You could see for miles and miles. There wasn't any colors to the trees yet, it is too early for that. Hwy 44 is not that much fun until you reach Viola, near the north entrance to Mt Lassen. Then the road has a nice section of gentle sweepers. Wouldn't you know it, that's were I run up to a three car caravan. By the time I work my way through them, there are no more good turns to play in. Oh well, the scenery is great and I am enjoying myself anyway. From Mt Lassen to Burney it is not as entertaining, other than the scenery. It is mostly forest land, but the road engineers did too good of a job building the road straight. I buzzed down the road at 70 mph all the way to Burney (35 miles) and was home by 10:00, in time to start my weekend project, painting the front porch railing. Yuk!

A short ride report, I know. But, some people ride for days to come ride where I do, I just hop on my bike and do it before the day's chores.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

tri99sprint

Mike, sounds to me like you're having WAY too much fun on that Tigger!

In part due to your recommendation, plus a long test ride, I put a down payment on a '04 Black Tiger, to match my heart and my ST.

Enjoy all the great roads in NorCal.

Chuck
Chuck