News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska trip

Started by AK Tiger, June 28, 2010, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK Tiger

Greetings from the top of the continent.   Toughest ride I've ever done.  The road (?) has deteriorated significantly since my wife and I rode up here in '97.  I truly thought we were going done three times yesterday.  Over 400 miles of gravel, mud, rain, road construction and a top heavy two-up bike all conspired against us but we prevailed!  We start the journey back to Fairbanks tomorrow.  Absolutely fantastic scenery ... pictures do not do it justice.

I'm too stupid to post pictures but I'm working on it!
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

Hemibee

Quote from: "AK Tiger"... pictures do not do it justice.

Remember.... No pictures it didn't happen.     :wink:

Y'all are doing my dream ride.  Some day I'll get to make the trip.  

Have fun and be safe on your return ride.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

oxnsox

Great ride...  safe return and pix
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AK Tiger

Go figure. As tough as the trip was going north, the trip south was equally wonderful.  The weather was great, the roads had dried out, the road crews did their magic ... yesterday and today have been one of the best rides that I have ever done.  As soon as we hit pavement, the rain started falling again.  I spent $9.00 at the quarter car wash and got rid of about 10 pounds of Alaska's finest mud.

If anyone is considering riding the Haul Road, I would recomment two places to stay.  The University of Alaska, Fairbanks allows motorcyclists to stay at the dorms for $36/single which is a barn burnin' deal.  In Prudhoe Bay, the Deadhorse Camp is fantastic.  The cost is pretty high ($200/night) but all of the accomidations in Deadhorse are about the same.  The difference is in the way you're treated.  Wow.  I've stayed at some really nice hotels and didn't get treated as well as I was treated there.  Very, VERY nice.  Highly recommended.

I'm on my way toward Key West, FL starting tomorrow.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger

aeronca

sounds like an awsome time :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

AK Tiger

... and greetings from Key West, FL.  Great trip so far.  NO mechanical issues with the bike excepting the rear brake pads went away in about 3800 miles;  easily fixed after stopping by the Triumph shop in Edmonton, Alberta.

The only downer is the rain.  I've only had a few (4?) days that it hasn't rained.  I'll need tires again in Orlando.  The Shinko rear tire has made it about 7400 miles as it was replaced in Seward, Alaska.  A good tire ... I'll replace it with another.

I have a conference in Orlando and other business in Dayton, Ohio during the first week of August.  Then it's time to head home.  Great times, great bike.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger

coachgeo

Thanks for the update.

That is a shiat load of miles.  Enough miles to begin to start dropping your guard.  So here is a reminder

BE SAFE OUT THERE!
ATGATT
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

Quote from: AK TigerI'm too stupid to post pictures but I'm working on it!

get a photobucket acct  http://www.photobucket.com

upload your photos
then copy the IMG code link
and paste it in the body of your tiger triple message

it will look like this

don't use the img tags on tiger triple as the photobucket link will paste with the img tags  already attached