News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Snow Stopper Ride

Started by BigDave, September 06, 2004, 10:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

scooter_scum had organized a high mountain pass ride and knew that I was wanting to do Mosquito Pass, so he gave me the invite.  The original plan was this:

1. Webster

2. Georga

3. Weston

4. Mosquito

5. Guanella

Needless to say, it didnt tun out that way.  You see, in Colorado's high country above 11,000 feet there are only two seasons.  Summer and Winter.

It was a typical departure from BigDave's house at sunrise.  Mild temps and partly cloudy.

Heading up 285 passed Baily was the first sign that the weather may be a little different up high.

First stop was the parking area below Webster Pass where the other guys were to meet me.  They were all coming together from the Boulder area.  scooter_scum and jimbes on KTM 950's. pfb on a KLR.  Mike on a F650GS and another guy on a Ducati Elephant.  Two other guys were to meet us as they were trailering up a KLX and a TT600.

I was at the parking area at 8:30 sharp.  I stood under a tree to have my typical trail breakfast of a bagel & creem cheese and hot coffee.  It was getting real wet, real fast.  At 8:50 I was still the only one there so I decided to get out my Winter gloves and get out of here as I knew there was no way we were going up Webster if it was snowing like this at 10,000.

As soon as I got back to highway 285, the group was turning in towards me.  Of course it wasnt snowing down there as I told them it was bad up there.  They wanted to see for themselves so back up we went to the parking area.  After everyone realized that going over Webster wasn't a good idea, we decided to go over to Westin Pass.

Once back on the highway in South Park, you could sure see how the mountains were getting pounded by fresh snow.

Westin Pass was pretty easy, but near the top it was real windy & cold.  We didn't spend much time up there before we went down the other side.

Once down, it was North to Leadville and up Mosquito.  I think we all figured that we were not going to make it but this pass was to be the highlight of the ride as it was the most difficult one.  

After a couple miles up, we knew the chances were slim we would make the summit.

Here is where three of us decided to throw in the towel.  The other guys decided to press on only to get turned back just ahead of here.  My guess is we were half to two thirds up the pass but the rest of it will have to wait till another day, another ride.

A few shots of Mike and jimbes on the way down.  Mike on his 650GS had only been back to riding for 5 months and is new to dirt.  He did very well.  I bet he'll turn out to be one heck of a rider.

So, back to Leadville for soup, sandwich and coffee.  Got to spend some time getting to know these guys as I had never met them previously. It was pretty easy to make new friends as we had a common interest in riding motorcyles on these types of rides.  We all stuck together and went to Dillon.  The group from Boulder wanted to slab it all the way home.  I wasn't in the mood for that so I thought I'd try Webster from the North side.  So I broke from the group and took off towards Webster.

Dillon Res.

As I started up the pass I knew that the chances were slim that I'd make it over.  It was fun anyway as pease and quiet sure settles in with the arrival of snow.  

I passed two guys on ATV's who were camping.  Other than that, I saw no one else up there.  It was just beautiful.

This as far as I got.  Two switchbacks from the top.

So back down to Keystone for gas and to call home.  I told my wife that I was going over to Breckenridge and over Boreas Pass to the South so I could come back 285.

Another view of Dillon Res.

Boreas is a dirt road pass that you would not need 4WD to go over.  Almost any car could pass over if they took it easy.  

Once at the top I took my last stop for the day.  After seeing weather like I had, I thought that this ride may be the last Colorado high country ride for the season.  At least high country above timberline.  All in all it was a great day riding.  13 hours, 400 miles and made new friends.

Sasquatch

You better come and visit here Dave, because I am going to come and visit CO. again...