News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger gas mileage & speed

Started by ArchRider, August 25, 2010, 02:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

Have any of you fellow Tiger riders found that if you keep the speed down to around 60 mph (97 kph for those outside the U.S.), you get much better gas mileage?  I suspect it is due to the reduced drag.  Sitting up as high as we do on our machines we are not the epitomy of aerodynamic efficiency.  The fuel savings have encouraged me to keep the speed closer to the posted limit.  And, of course, this has the added benefit of being safer and avoiding the impending fines.

brad1098

No, if im riding, im riding.  The absolute hardest I can ride my bike I still get 42mpg.  Taking it "easy" with passenger (its been awhile, she's, long gone)  :? I get 52.  

Added up that is twice the mileage of my car, triple the mileage of my truck and thousands less than gambling, golf, or any other vice  8)
02 black-Lorna

Mustang

this one gets anywhere from 35-55 depending on wind and throttle position  hehehe

the best I can get out of this one is 24 mpg

and this one can't seem to do any better than 42 mpg even going easy on her

2004Tiger

I consistantly get 50 MPG (US gallons) plus or minus a little. I have ridden 48 hours at 90 MPH for 50 MPG, and also around town stop-n-go for 50 MPG. I attribute this to my easy style, i.e, I start slow and easy and twist the throttle slowly at speed to accellerate. The exception is overtaking when I might downshift and punch it. Even so I rarely rev above 6500 RPM. Excessive throttle and high RPM waste gas. The efficient zone for the bike is 3000 to 6000 RPM and just enough throttle to get it moving. Fast accelleration and high RPM are not fun. My fun comes from maintaining high speed through the twisties, using road tires. Also, my bike is in great tune and I use the 19 tooth drive sprocket.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

ArchRider

Perhaps it's the throttle from a stop.  I'll have to pay more attention to the way I accelerate.

BTW, I love the side car.  I'm certain my kids would love it if I scored one of those.  However, I think the color needs to match the bike.  What did it take to outfit the Steamer with a sidecar?

Mustang

Quote from: "ArchRider"What did it take to outfit the Steamer with a sidecar?
yankee ingenuity and a mig welder and some steel and a few other bits from mcmaster carr :D
seriously though , I needed to make a subframe that was attached to the bike and rigid enough to attach a sidecar to .

fret

Most 955's get 10 miles per litre, as do the 1050's
This is 47mpg in old money.

Just as an exercise, I filled up my Super III at the weekend after riding it to TRIUMPH LIVE (Yes, it was the one on the stand) and it returned 154 miles from 11 litres.......................64MPG.
Not bad for a Cosworth engined Carbed bike

ix

I stopped measuring my Girly a long time ago, but I when I was keeping track I always got roughly 45 mpg.

In 2006 I spent a few entire days traveling at high speeds across the desert. I found that gas mileage dropped off dramatically over 80 mph. I don't remember the exact numbers, but traveling at 90+ for an entire tank netted me in the low 30's mpg. Still pretty good for an internal combustion vehicle, but remarkably bad for the Tiger.
- Ix

Bixxer Bob

When you consider that my wife's Nissan Micra is 7 yrs old, has a 1400cc engine, weighs three times the Tiger and even when thrashed returns 48mph, you kinda wonder whether the bike makers are ever going to catch up.  Market forces I guess.  No-one buys a bike for it's frugality, but the ECU technology is available if they wish to use it (Bosch etc..).  I think perhaps the one drawback is the average bike environment, vibration etc, is too hostile for delicate items like a Mass Air Flow sensor which is prone to failure on several makes of car.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"I needed to make a subframe that was attached to the bike and rigid enough to attach a sidecar to .

Impressive, Luke. Obi-Wan has taught you well!

How and where did you attach the subframe on the circled points, if you don't mind my asking?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

JTT

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Impressive, Luke. Obi-Wan has taught you well!

You have no idea Colonel.  Mustang is one seriously talented dude.  He'll let on "oh, anyone can do it", but I had the good fortune to see some of his talents and they are more than "anyone" work I assure you.  

I even got a short ride in that very sidecar...and it is even more fun than it looks  8)
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "JTT"I even got a short ride in that very sidecar...and it is even more fun than it looks  8)

I think if Mustang sold a kit (or even just the plans!) for the sidecar frame he's got there, there would be more than one buyer. One of them, for sure, would be me.

As far as talent is concerned, I'm guessing Mustang is a mechanical engineer or a master machinist. Lotta the folks that know these cats really well here are one or the other. Then there's JetDocX and Bixxer Bob who are aviation mechanics. All of em I bow down to "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"  :D
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bixxer Bob

Don't be so hard on yourself Col Nick,  it's all about time and guidance.

Mustang's one of the most experienced Tiger fettlers on the planet and judging by his workshop pics - and his output of sidecar, shim tool, pegs  -is an extremely competent mechanical engineer and technician. (I make the differentiation because I've worked with degree-qualified engineers who I wouldn't let near my toolbox).

In my case, as a youngster, I was very lucky to be taught by some of the best machine shop guys in the business.  I carried that engineering no-how approach across to bikes where it comes in handy but there are guys on here who learned their trade on bikes and who's strengths I respect enormously because I don't have that experience.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Madruss

Quote from: 2004Tiger on August 25, 2010, 08:03:07 PMI consistantly get 50 MPG (US gallons) plus or minus a little. I have ridden 48 hours at 90 MPH for 50 MPG, and also around town stop-n-go for 50 MPG. I attribute this to my easy style, i.e, I start slow and easy and twist the throttle slowly at speed to accellerate. The exception is overtaking when I might downshift and punch it. Even so I rarely rev above 6500 RPM. Excessive throttle and high RPM waste gas. The efficient zone for the bike is 3000 to 6000 RPM and just enough throttle to get it moving. Fast accelleration and high RPM are not fun. My fun comes from maintaining high speed through the twisties, using road tires. Also, my bike is in great tune and I use the 19 tooth drive sprocket.
An old post of fuel economy might interest a few who've asking the question  :thumbsup  :sign13
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!