News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brand new 10 year old Tiger

Started by hooligan971, September 12, 2010, 03:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

Hey guys,
 My first post here. Been on adv rider and t.rat but just found this group and thought this might be where I would get the most good info, only because you guys deal solely with Tigers. I have a 61 pre-unit Bonneville and a 66 Tiger but the other day I bought this bike off of Craigslist. Flying up to Ny from Va on Saturday to ride it home and start making her mine  :D  Was in a collection in an inflatable bubble for ten years and ridden every so often to blow out the cobwebs, and taken to the dealer for recalls and basic going over. Has factory race exhaust, gel seat and tall windscreen, I think the only factory goodies it doesn't have are heated grips. Guy bought it this summer for his son but he can't touch the ground on it so now it's mine ! Here are a few pics.

99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

KuzzinKenny

Hey hooligan971 !! Welcome to TT.com !! looky here.....

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8480

that is a rare find !! just get her checked out before you go puttin big miles on her !! as John Stenhouse said about the tyres, they are 10yr old rubber rings  :shock: and tyres do dry out and crack so be carefull if yer ridin her home !!

enjoy !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Wiggus

I have the same bike, but with 35,000 more miles! You'll really enjoy it.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

hooligan971

Rode it home to Va from Ny on Sunday. Tires are fine and no issues except one of the bolts from the ignition switch rattled out and somehow found it's way into the fan shroud. At first I thought a valve had broken and was banging around in the cylinder  :shock: but it only lasted a couple seconds, bolt fell out, and ran fine the rest of the way. I love the bike ! Already put 1200 more miles on it :D
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

hooligan971

Got the new black clif-cut Happy trails boxes on, the Thunderbike bars I had a line on were FUBAR so I ordered and installed a set of Ma's 1" engine guards. Got the oxford heated grips but might not use their controller because I think I would rather have the heaterz knob switch instead (less obtrusive) also have some Pia's and a fuse block and harness coming from Eastern Beaver. Looking into the whole led issue to try and figure out if it's worth it to convert. Pics coming soon !
 I LOVE THIS BIKE !
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

DKWrider

Looks like mine, minus 30K miles.  Enjoy!
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger

Yellowtiger99

Enjoy the new toy!  I know that bike.  All those late nights checking out craigslist brought it up a few times.  I picked up a 99 tiger about a year ago.  Mine also had low mileage.  Funny, I also lost my ignition lock screws on the first ride.  Since I got the bike I began preparing it for the trip I just got back from.  It certainly is a very capable bike.  Nova Scotia, NewFoundland and Labrador.  I was surrounded by BMWs that questioned my bike choice.  5k with ove 1200 offroad.

When they do the recall stuff make sure they do both sides of the fuel tank taps.  Mine had it done but only included the 90s at the end of the lines.  The part that screw into the tank are still plastic.  Not sure if they are included in the recall or if the dealer was lazy.  And how is your head gasket?  Does it weep to the outside when the temp is under 45?  I have been told that it is common for low mileage bikes (with our engine) to weep when cold and seal up when at running temp.  An updated gasket set is supposed to fix this.  I have been riding it the way it is.  My winter project.

Enjoy!
99 Tiger
74 R90/6

Wiggus

"I have been told that it is common for low mileage bikes (with our engine) to weep when cold and seal up when at running temp."

Mine does.

Yellowtiger99

I have spoken to many people about the weeping.  Some mechanics said that any leaking is wrong and you should repair it.  The local dealer (before they closed their doors) called Georgia for me and questioned the guys there.  They said that I should let it go until it leaks all the time.  Since it is only weeping to the outside, there is no problem with the inside fo the engine.  While on my last trip I spoke with a dealer in Canada.  They claimed to see several bikes a year with the same issue.  All with the 895 engine and low mileage.  Bikes are made to be ridden.  Ride 'em and ride them hard I say!  The Canadian dealer added that doing the head gasket job solves the weeping issue and hasn't gotten any returns on it.  Updated material?  Or is just that now the bikes are being used?

If you are looking for engine protection, look to Thunderbike.  My wife bought me a set about 6 months ago.  Isn't she awesome?

YellowTiger99
99 Tiger
74 R90/6

Wiggus

Agreed. I figure a head gasket job must run about $600.

$600 buys a lot of rags and oil.  :D

PeteH

Wow..nice find 8) Shame its afflicted with usual coolant issue. I lived with it for a couple of years, but as it was`nt getting any better I had the gasket changed when it had its 24k valve sevice(26k on the clock tho)
I had considered some type of heat pad, just to keep the worst off the block..the other option did`nt go down too well with wife as it meant moving the dining table :wink:
Keep an eye on it..as mine only leaked outwards...if leaks the right word, and I had no signs of anything in the oil or white smoke while running.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

walker

I don't think the original poster said his leaked... that was someone else asking questions about if it leaked or not.  :)

PeteH

Quote from: "walker"I don't think the original poster said his leaked... that was someone else asking questions about if it leaked or not.  :)

Reminder to self.....read posts and who`s posting them :oops:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

CoolHandLuke

10 years old and still has the Triumph paint dabs on everything.

Very nice find.

kingdomstyle

nice find thats what im lookin for?
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R