News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dragon Raid

Started by NortonCharlie, September 30, 2004, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

I took a week off to take a scenic route to the Dragon Raid.  Traveled through Iowa, Illinois into Indiana for a 1st night of camping.  I camped next to a fellow on a Concours riding from Vermont to Colorado Springs.

2nd Day road through Indiana into Kentucky and ran along the river for about 100 miles then  crossed over into Ohio.   I had to backtrack a bit in Ohio because of flooded roads (they had alot of water down there).  I got into Parkersburg West Virginia about sundown.  I went a little farther down the road pulled off at a little store to get a can of beer and find out about camping, but I started hearing the banjos playing really load and decided to backtrack and get a motel room in Parkersburg.  

Day 3 I rode through West Virginia finding great twisty little roads everywhere, crossed briefly into Maryland, then back into West Virginia and onto Chantilly Virginia.  I spent a day of rest visiting a good old friend hiking around the battlegrounds of Mannasas.

Day 5 I road through the mountains and Shenedoa valley then met up with Mike Puin who lead me through some beautiful roads and a little dirt.  We ended up at his home near Fredericksburg.  I got a chance to meet his wonderful family, he fed me a great supper and gave me a place to sleep.  

Day 6  We left early meeting up with Matt on his Speedmaster (not your daddy's cruiser).  Mike lead the day mostly on the Blue Ridge Parkway, with little side routes on really twisty roads.  It was relaxing getting back to the BRP that was just constant curves.  We stopped around Boone NC for the night.

Day7 On to the Dragon.  We stayed off the BRP because it was mostly closed in NC.  Again Mike lead us through some of the most fun roads I have ever ridden.  BTW, the only time I wanted to go faster in the curves than Matt on his Speedmaster was getting into some tight 10 MPH curves.  Made it to the Dragon early in the afternoon,  we checked into the lodge drogged off the extra gear and hit the Dragon.  What a blast.  Back for a supper of Trout, some tech sessions and a keg of London Pride.

Day 8,  Good breakfast and off on the Tiger ride.  The Tiger ride lead by Ron and tailed by his wife Nancy was an absolute blast.  160 miles total about 60 on the dirt.  Up and down the dirt, jumping on some big rocks on the downhill, sterring with the throttle.  I finally felt like I was riding my Tiger like a dirt bike rather than just riding my Tiger on the dirt.  Early in the afternoon we stopped by the side of the road along a beautiful creak and they provided great cold cuts and rolls along with soft drinks and all the trimmings.  Back to the lodge for a shower then a hog roast, 3 more kegs of the London Pride, great company of Triumph riders and a Bluegrass band.  It just doesn't get any better than this.

Day 9,  Time to head home, sad goodbyes to a bunch of new freinds and onto the road.  1st stretch was through the Dragon.  I thank whoever it was that delayed me about 3 seconds.  I got through a tight inside turn heading toward the outside turn when a little tan 4 door came tight around the corner covering both lanes.  That was a couple seconds in front of me so not a problem.  I found great roads through Tennesee and into Kentucky.  I guess I pissed off someone driving a Minivan on Kentucky 100.  I went to pass on a straight  section.  He floored it when he saw me pull out.  I was running over 90 when I got around and he wasn't backing off.  I stayed on it till I had to brake for the curve.  He was in it all the way on the straights and about rolling it in the curves.  I rode faster than I wanted for about 5 miles because he was going to run me down if I didn't.  He finally disapeared, not sure if he turned off or crashed.  I did run into a few more people in Kentucky that would accelerate when you tried passing but no other crazies.  Went on into Indiana and Illinois and stayed near Danville.  

Day 10,  Woke up had breakfast and hit the slab through Illinois and Iowa home.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando