News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Tracks (European Ride) – UK – Alps – Balkans

Started by BigMark, October 13, 2010, 04:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMark

Just 1km through the woods to Piltvice Lakes this morning (by foot, not bike)

Plitvicka is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Croatia and is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  There are sixteen crystal clear  lakes in the park all joined with remarkable waterfalls. It is also quite a haven for wildlife  which thrives in this 300 square kilometre park including Bears, wolves and Boar.  You need a  complete day here which can easily be swallowed up wandering around the park.

We decided firstly to take the boat trip across the big lake to the main food area which wasn't exactly busy for breakfast.

We followed the path round to the first set of falls (I think the path was particularly cool)

More crazy paths and cool waterfalls.

Then we decided to take the path around the outside of the lake

And found some fungi... (Not  that I know what kind)

There were loads more too but that's probably enough photos of them.

Then onto the far end of the park as time was running out.

Down the steps to the bottom of the 80m and largest fall in the park.

Just enough time left  to zig zag across the lower falls on our way to the exit,

It wasn't particularly late about 5pm I think but as we were in a valley the Sun was disappearing behind the hills pretty quickly and the fading light led to some interesting reflections.

I forgot  to mention the fish, Zillions of fish everywhere..

Then the final stretch up and out of the park just as the sun disappeared from sight...

Sin_Tiger

Fantastic trip & report Mark  8)

Don't think the furry riding suit will catch on though  :lol: you could always put some fangs on the front of the C3 though!

I love Swiss / Austrian breakfasts.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BigMark

We had an invite from a fellow ADV rider that if we ever make it to Trogir we should stay as his guest.  So I text him this morning  telling him I was on my way.

We left Villa Katja nice and early in the morning and it was a beautifull looking day as we packed up and set off.

But no more than 10 miles down the road we hit some really cold thick fog, visibility was down to about 5 car lengths.  

As soon as we gained elevation near gracac we rose above the fog and left it behind like a blanket of cotton wool covering the lowlands.

From here onwards the weather was just the way we liked it...

Coming down into Zadar we followed some Slovenian bikers for a short while and finally reached the coastal road.

We followed this road all the way to Trogir.

Finally Trogir and the coast, time for my long awaited dip in the sea..

But actually by the time we met our kind host got organised and went back to the town it was a little late in the afternoon and I was feeling the chill. This is the best I could manage today
"Tomorrow I will take a swim in the sea" I told myself

Now time for a wander around Trogir. Trogir is a wonderfully quaint little Town with very close walled streets and many, many restaurants.

It soon gets dark when you are having fun.

Thanks to our host, this evening we ate in possibly the finest Restaurant in all Trogir.  "Restaurant Capo"

chairhead

Keep it coming Mark,
first class :thumbsup ride reports dont get any better,
thanks for sharing.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

kraftykarper

Fantastic pictures! Inspiring! Makes you want to get on your bike and go somewhere.

mat-tiger1

Loving the ride report Mark  :thumbsup

Sooo jealous  :cry:

I'm with the rest of the lads though,  :wav  great photos & write up,  :bowdown keep it coming & have a great time  :rock-1

All the best,
Mat-tiger1
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

BigMark

Something happened to the weather overnight, Laying in our bed listening to the wind picking up followed by that all too British "pitter patter" of rain drops.  This eventually turned into torrential rain. The thing is when it rains in this part of the world, it really rains! None of this spitting about or drizzle just an absolute soaking which appears from nowhere lasts 24 – 48 hours then disappears just as quickly as it arrived leaving you with brilliant blue skies and not a cloud in sight..

Today being the shortest entry in our report as all we done was  pop to the market for supplies and the hide under a tree on the beach and drink beer.

Maybe I will swim in the sea another day!

BigMark

Contrast is the best  word for Bosnia,  On the most part people are friendly, appear happy and always willing to help, there are bustling modern cities and all the amenities you would expect from western Europe. A complete opposite to this exits in the smaller towns and you can find an alarming number of places and people that still carry the scares of war clearly.  

One more thing I find quite interesting with Bosnia during my brief visit was that they have a Coffee for everything. A variant of what is Known worldwide Bosnia as "Turkish Coffee" it is prepared in copper coffee pots known as "džezva" or in other small cooking pots and served in special miniature coffee cups known as "fildžan" The Bosnian culture has a strong basis on coffee and the time of day or event will dictate which coffee is most appropriate!  You will have "razgalica" for the first coffee of the day which is traditionally strong and thick with the intention of waking and also cheering up for the day ahead!  They have "razgovarati" a coffee which is to be enjoyed mid –morning with friends and work colleagues!  In the Afternoon/Early evening to help you relax and stay calm you will drink "sutiti" this is to be consumed between the hours of 5 & 7pm.  They even have a coffee to let you know you're welcome has finished, when you receive a cup of "sikter" you know that after it is finished you must go somewhere else.  What a wonderfully ingenious idea.

So we left Trogir this morning in the rain (hence the lack of photos) and headed to Mostar where I heard a rumour on the border it will be sunny today. And they were right..

The cold and wet had just about taking its grip and although the sun was now shining we needed to get to a hotel with some luxury to recover..

We took the road to Sarajevo and come to the Hotel Terme Spa and promptly booked in to a superior room a massage , Jacuzzi and underwater hydro massage...

It was deemed inappropriate to take photos so here are just enough  photos from this hotel just enough, to show you some of the amenities.

The Bar Area

The Gym

The Swimming Pool

BigMark

Well not completely in the spa, we started the day with a massage (like you do) before heading out to the Old Town Sarajevo.

The Old town is a series of small streets with shops selling all manner of shiney trinkets

Emma wanted to buy this Teapot but there was some small logistical problems which we could not overcome.

Then past the Mosque

And onto Pigeon Square

Everyone here seemed to enjoy feeding the pigeons.

The Pigeons expected to be fed and anyone standing up in their domain either fed them or was brutally attacked!

That was enough of Sarajevo for us so we headed for the hills.  

Then back to the hotel for a tad more pampering.

BigMark

This sounds like a horrible thing to say but the road out of Sarajevo and leaving Bosnia was probably the best road we travelled. I mean that in the sense of scenery and it had a certain something I cannot put my finger on...  

The roads were a bit ropey

And they weren't too concerned about barriers

But it sure was pretty!

Finally Montenegro

Our first 10km in Montenegro brought us through many of these Tunnels

And across some outstanding canyon bridges

And to the Lakes the River fills with it's sparkling blue water.

Then we went up the hill and onto Durmitor

Nearly there...

The Road here also doubles up for the NetBall/Basketball court

Finally, we see Durmitor, and it was ,of course, covered in cloud...

So we waited

And waited

And with this shot decided we had seen enough

Now we needed some direction so we looked for a sign. Here it is.. "Let's go to Zabljek"

Off we trundled along the lane and down from the heights of Durmitor

A Glimpse of civilization

And we come across this vibrant bustling place...

Traffic was a nightmare!

Total Gridlock!

But we battled through, missed Zabljek and came across this bridge across the Canyon

I made a decision (with Emmas permission) to make a beeline toward the coast "I will swim in the Adriatic" even if it's cold, even if it's raining" so the camera didn't come out much and we made it all the way to Podgorica and stayed one night in the Hotel Lovcen ..

BigMark

29th September "to the coast, again"

Whatever happened today, no matter what the weather,  I was swimming in the sea!  

Leaving the Lovcen we were only an hour or so from the coast and it was a toss-up between Bar and Pogradec.  We decided on Pogradec, the smaller quieter location of the two..

When we got there it looked a little Grim for a swim...

But the weather was improving and Emma showed me the way

So now my term, none of this paddling lark for me "in for a penny and all"

What with the continuously improving weather and my successful Adriatic adventure we thought we would go find some refreshments.

And so we set off along the coastal path and come across some interesting sights...

Finally, something to quench the thirst hmmm

Would you believe it, the sun went down and the day was over, at least for all except the late night swimmers and fisherman...

outrunner

Great report Mark, looking at your pictures makes me think I should rewrite my bucket list! :D

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

John Stenhouse

Great shots Mark. Love the one with the cannon and the one after, looks like someone set the cannon off and that broken island was the result.

I know my vivid imgination again.  :lol:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

aesdj

Well done Mark an absolute cracking write up/pictures. Glad you finally got to do your swim. Must remember to stay at the hotel with the nice bar/swimming pool + gym if I ever get out that way.

Sin_Tiger

You utter B!@#$%d, very commited and no doubt happy B!@#$%d though, brilliant, enjoying it almost as much as you are, thanks.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint