News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

800XC Lust

Started by brad1098, November 05, 2010, 11:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad1098

Im not the guy that wants the latest greatest everything. Far from it.  More like the guy that says "hey take care of that 993 turbo"  I plan on owning it in 15 years.  That def. was the case for me with the 1050. Kind of thanks, but no thanks. My Girly is great

BUTTTT. The 800 really has me thinking.  Will have to throw a leg over it before I start selling off the gun collection.  

How does the physical size compare to the Girly?  My first concern was the weight of the 800.
02 black-Lorna

tett

I am in about the same conundrum.  The 800XC is attractive because I am doing lots of off road stuff and have been on about 6 rides this year with a buddy who rides a BMW X-Challenge.  Needless to say I can not keep up with him and go where he goes.

The weight is a concern.  It is about 50lbs lighter than my Girly but a nice KTM would be much lighter still.  I could keep the Girly and get a KTM or other lighter more off road bike. (  That is if I had money ;>(   )

But at these specs the BMW F800GS might be a better bike.  Depends on how much cheaper the 800XC ends up being.  The F800GS is about 15 lbs lighter than the 800XC.

Love my Girly but still want a lighter bike.

Cheers!

tett

Quote from: "brad1098"Im not the guy that wants the latest greatest everything. Far from it.  More like the guy that says "hey take care of that 993 turbo"  I plan on owning it in 15 years.  That def. was the case for me with the 1050. Kind of thanks, but no thanks. My Girly is great

BUTTTT. The 800 really has me thinking.  Will have to throw a leg over it before I start selling off the gun collection.  

How does the physical size compare to the Girly?  My first concern was the weight of the 800.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "tett"The F800GS is about 15 lbs lighter than the 800XC......

Buy the 800 Tiger, leave the tent at home and spend some of what you saved on a bivvi bag.  Job Done!!   :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

Its tempting indeed! My riding partner sold his KLR and got a f800GS last year to match his 1200GS. Rides the 800 most the time now & considering selling the 1200. Ive swapped him the 06 Girly for a few 100 miles & like the 800 ok, but my inclination is to go tigerXC. Love that triple!!  I could simplify things considerably (EXPENSIVE having 4 bikes!) by selling my KLR, Uly & Girly & just having the Tiger 800 & the ST1300 left. I think the XC will do everything I want to do on 2 wheels. My hesitation is first year models inevitably have 'teething' issues. So will likely wait for 2nd year model to reconsider options. Any counter arguments to the "first year model" concerns ??

brad1098

These days I would not be concerned with the first year.  

I was really wanting it to be substantially lighter than the f800 hence the argument for the 675.  With only 94hp the 675 would have been ideal.  But marketing genious says we underlings wont buy a 675cc when the competetion has an 800cc bike on the market....brilliant

Similar to when the 1050 came out.  I saw an interview with the chief designer, he said "well nobody takes the Tiger off-road, so we took all of that out of the new 1050"
02 black-Lorna

jphish

Hey Brad - yeah, I wish it were a bit less hefty too. But I'll take the 50# reduction - not all that much heavier than my KLR, and still lighter than the Girly. (tho I have really come to appreciate her of late) Trying to rein in my bike lust for now, but want to reduce my inventory & have fewer mechanical apperatuses in my life, thus going from 3 bikes to 1 is enticing. (At least thats a good rationalization to try on my wife) I know the 800GS had some early model issues (rear bearings etc) and dont want to be on the consumer end of 'beta testing' these things. I agree - 675 would have been plenty of ponies for my riding interests. Well...got the winter to ponder the possibilities - will wait til spring & more info to make any decisions. What are your inclinations ???

Spud

love my Girly got her near where I want her. Just been on the Triumph web site and added all the farkles I wanted to the xc and the cost was £2900 thats cooled off the ardour some what  :oops: plus the cost of the bike - part ex of Girly still recon I would have to come up with about 5.5-6k. thats lots of tours cheers Spud :wink:

JetdocX

15lbs?  Shit, go on a diet!  WTF?  Doesn't matter which bike you get.  You're still going to buy all the unobtainium bash plates, crash bars, hard cases, etc for it so you can pretend you're Charlie Boorman as you ride through the Starbucks parking lot.

Besides, bike manufacturers are notorious for lying about the real weight of their bikes.  

FWIW, I've ridden the BMW800GS and the big Katoom.  Those bikes do nothing for my soul.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"15lbs?  Shit, go on a diet!  WTF?  Doesn't matter which bike you get.  You're still going to buy all the unobtainium bash plates, crash bars, hard cases, etc for it so you can pretend you're Charlie Boorman as you ride through the Starbucks parking lot.

aeronca

Quote from: JetdocX15lbs?  Shit, go on a diet!  WTF?  Doesn't matter which bike you get.  You're still going to buy all the unobtainium bash plates, crash bars, hard cases, etc for it so you can pretend you're Charlie Boorman as you ride through the Starbucks parking lot.

personaly, i prefer tully's :roll:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

Quote from: "airknocker"personaly, i prefer tully's :roll:

Whoa!  Dude, you are my new hero.  Charlie was so last week. :shock:
From parts unknown.

aeronca

:lol: ------------------- dont make me post that song thing again :wink:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Bixxer Bob

Go on,  post it ... POST IT!!!  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: tettThe F800GS is about 15 lbs lighter than the 800XC.

Love my Girly but still want a lighter bike.

Cheers!

tett

BMW F800GS   Usable tank volume   16.0 l

Tiger 800XC    Fuel Tank Capacity   19.0 litres (5.0 US gals) thats 6.6lbs

not being negative to the BMW, just clearin up the weight thing !!

if you can do it, get the KTM and keep yer Tigger   :D

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

JetdocX

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"BMW F800GS   Usable tank volume   16.0 l

Tiger 800XC    Fuel Tank Capacity   19.0 litres (5.0 US gals) thats 6.6lbs

not being negative to the BMW, just clearin up the weight thing !!

if you can do it, get the KTM and keep yer Tigger   :D

KK

Fuzzy math there, Kuz.  5 gallons is a lot closer to 30lbs than 6.
From parts unknown.