News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dash light rehash

Started by hooligan971, December 08, 2010, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

Been a while since I've been around and I've had a while to figure out more things that need doing to make the bike better. One of my biggest complaints is the too dim dash lights. I have read the threads I could find regarding the problem but need to clarify a few points.
1-are the replacement bulbs for my 99 Tiger the same as later models ?
2-I read where a couple of guys went to led bulbs and switched back to stock for some reason.
Is there a general consensus these days on the best way to be able to see the speedo at night or is the jury still out ? The dummy lights on my bike (neutral,high beam etc.)are fine it's just the speedo and tach I need brighter. :?:
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

KuzzinKenny

Hey hooligan971 !! i had an LED speedo bulb but it never lasted more than a few months and i hated strippin the front end down to change a bulb  :evil:
so back to standard bulb for now !! try this for reference ..........

http://www.bikebandit.com/1999-triumph- ... r/o/m17562

its not Triumph part Nos. but a great site for info !!  :thumbsup

KK

ps it looks like they have the same bulbs for the speedo and tach as the newer Tiggers !!

capless 501/T10 speedo  

capless 286/T5 tach
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

hooligan971

Hey Kenny, Thanks.
I think it was one of your posts that made me not order the led bulbs right away. I'm glad now I held off. It's below freezing and dark here on my ride to and from work and I got the fog in the helmet under control with the respro foggy but sucks that even with a clear view I still cant see how fast I'm going.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

Bixxer Bob

Regarding the fogging, most helmet makers do a version of Shoei's pinlock system which is in effect double glazing for visors.  If fitted correctly you'll never have fog again.

If you don't want to go to the expense of a new visor, then just buy the pinlock insert, it comes with two plastic pins, but you have to drill your visor - you only get one chance to get it right.

Cheapest solution that still really works, and I used for many years till I got a pinlock, was the FogCity insert.  You have to have everything scrupulously clean first otherwise you'll seal in the greasy fingerprints etc, but once stuck in place they really work.  And they are washable, you just have to be careful as they're not scratch-resistant like the visor.

Pinlock here:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... ?r=Froogle

Fogcity here:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... tiks_03a(1).gif&imgrefurl=http://www.motorcycle.com/products/time-savers-or-trouble-makers-3878.html&h=300&w=400&sz=497&tbnid=pDiKGjHxBb0bbM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfogcity&zoom=1&q=fogcity&hl=en&usg=__Cns5bFrBKTaOSR9TZXo0oXbytPE=&sa=X&ei=26YATZquKISohAekzZztBw&ved=0CDcQ9QEwAw
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

hooligan971

Bob,
  You misread my post. I dont have a fog problem. I got a Respro foggy mask for $19 and no need for a pinlock on the new helmet. I have a pinlock on my old one but no need for it now. That might change if I get caught in heavy rain and the fogging gets bad again, but for now the mask works awesome with temps well below freezing, and in light rain I apply fog-tech before I leave in the morning and it works great for several days. As of now I have absolutely no fog problem. 8)
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

Bixxer Bob

:lol:  I didn't mean you had, just expanding on the ways of eliminating foggin gfor other's benefit :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...