News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A little ride report, a little tire review: Pirelli Scorpion

Started by BigDave, October 10, 2004, 08:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

You Tigger guys may find this interesting as these same tires are listed in your owners manual as "approved" tires for the 955i.

:idea:

After a nice long bike ride with LittleBigDave, I figured I'd take advantage of the 70+ temps and the sunshine and take a little loop on the GS.

Took Turkey Creek Canyon to Aspen Park to Evergreen over to Idaho Springs to home.  It was my second ride on the Pirelli Scorpion S/T MT 90's. I must say I am VERY impressed with the perfomance of these tires so far.  They felt real good in the turns.  They don't "fall in" to the turn like a Tourance does.

Overall, the Aspens are way passed their peak.  I like to take a dirt road called Winter Gulch from Bear Creek.  It leads up to the road that goes to Mt. Evans.  I felt confident on the Pirelli's.  Very controlled 2 wheel slides, decent traction.

Once you get to the top, the tempretures drop a good 20 degrees.  All the leaves are gone and snow is here already.

Getting closer to Mt. Evans you can see why the road is closed to the summit.

So down the othe side going towards Idaho Springs it was getting warmer real quick.  I had NO plans doing off-road today.  (How many times have I said that?   8) )   I saw this sign and fire road so how could I resist?  :twisted:

Besides, lets give those Pirelli's a spin in the dirt & rocks...

I only went up a couple miles before the mud & snow was everywhere.  Sure was pretty up there.  The tires did VERY well in the rough.  They feel very solid.  Down the center traction seems to be much better than a Tourance.  It doesn't seem to spin nearly as easy.

Even when the Aspens have lossed their leaves they are beautiful.

Time to get off the trail.  We are losin' sunlight fast.

On the way down, the only thing I could think of was the little coffee shop in Idaho Springs.  Sounds like a destination!

So I get to Idaho Springs and its CLOSED!!  Oh well, time to slab it home.  

The reason I wanted to try the Pirelli's is because I couldn't justify grinding 2-3 sets of TKC's into the pavement all winter.  I have never been a big fan of Tourances and the pattern on the MT 90's look like they are a bit more agressive than a Tourance or Anakee. The Pirelli's are sweet.  Here is my one gripe.  At 56-64 mph, the rear howls like a wolf in heat. It makes a TKC sound like a hibernating bear.  With earplugs its not that bad.  

After I really got so see how these perfom on & off the road, I think I can handle a little noise. These tires are sweet!  They are keepers.    :D/

front:

rear: