News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So here's the question

Started by zombie2, January 07, 2011, 03:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie2

You can only own one of two bikes.
The 955 tiger (or a steamer if ya happen to have one) roadies don't count
Or the new 800XC

Which one and why.I'm actually liking the XC but could never see myself without a 955i in my stable.
I think this new tiger is going to be a fantastic success and going by all the moto-journal reviews, the talking heads are gushing over both versions but most journos lean towards the XC

brad1098

A big if, but "IF" money is not a consideration, its the 800XC hands down.  New bike with abs, more offroad worthy than my Girly, Yes please.

NOW IF you consider I have to pony up $10,000 to get that new bike? Girly, hands down.  She is still a dream to ride,  I know her and where she has been, 3 years of fine tuning to get her set up the way I want. Lots and lots of life left in her.
02 black-Lorna

JetdocX

Rode the Steamer to work yesterday.  First time riding it for months.  That big, fat tank up front...visions of Dakar racers of the past...the momentary stumble of the carb while it's still cold...the heated grips keeping my hands happy...the puzzled looks from the cars I passed...again the fat tank reminding my hips that they don't like being splayed out like that...(this is the most annoying trait for me)

I'm still on the fence, but a week ago I was almost for sure selling the Steamer and replacing with an XC.  I'm decisive like a woman on this issue. :roll:

The ergos of the Steamer vs. the XC are going to be a factor for sure.  I hate associating riding with pain. :(
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"The ergos of the Steamer vs. the XC are going to be a factor for sure.  I hate associating riding with pain. :(
that's called aging it has nothing to do with the bike comfort  :ImaPoser

JetdocX

I'd agree with you except I can ride my Aprilia all day long pain free.  That's partially why the Tiger is such a garage queen lately. :roll:
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

Weird isn't it.  The steamer is the only "Comfortable all day" bike I've ever ridden.  It fits me.

I hadn't noticed the tank being too wide and spreading the legs. Probably will now.... A few years ago I had a Yamaha Tenere that seemed intent on spreading my butt cheeks.  Man that seat was narrow.  Hmmm..think of a nick-name for that bike...

Compared to that I have a strong, strong preference for the steamer!

I have to say the new XC looks like it has good all day ergonomics.  Can't wait to test it.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

oxnsox

I'd go for the Beaker over a Girly, given the choice....
But not having ridden one its a wish based entirely on the fact the 800 is a little lighter and should be an easier ride for me ( I often prefer to take the Versys out for the same reason.... but when I climb atop the Girly I can't not like that triple....)
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Timbox2

Went and had my first good look at both today in Triumph Birmingham, Im sure they are good bikes, and good value, but they dont do it for me, If one passed me I wouldnt be sure if it was one of many different bikes, thats one of the things I like about the Girly, unmistakeable and huge road presence, plus it fits me like a glove, a big fat ugly glove :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Interesting question !!

I've only had Tigers since they were introduced in 1993. I've had two so called "Steamers" and two 955's (I can't bring myself to call it a "Girly").

So Triumph have gone from a 25 litre tank on the original Tiger 900, down to a 19 litre tank on the new 800, and the horsepower has gone from 104bhp on the 955, down to 94bhp on the 800 -  and that's supposed to be progress - My Arse !!  :(

I'll stick with my 955 any day.

The sooner Triumph bring the Tiger 1200 out, the better for me. Then we can get back to what the Tiger does best - masses of power and long range.

p.s. - I like the "Roadies don't count" comment. They were never a true Tiger.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "JetdocX"the fat tank reminding my hips that they don't like being splayed out like that...(this is the most annoying trait for me)

Mustang's pegs help at lot in this arena. They are spendy but they made my hips hurt a lot less on longer rides.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

NKL

I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

JetdocX

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Mustang's pegs help at lot in this arena. They are spendy but they made my hips hurt a lot less on longer rides.

I have a set of Mustang's pegs and if anything, it got worse after I installed them.  Sorry, Mustang.  I'm sure they work for most, but I'm probably the freak of nature.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

JD what seat do you have on your tigger?

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

Mustang

ahhhh
I can't ride my tigger for more than an hour before I want off with the stock POS

My corbins are all day affairs