News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So here's the question

Started by zombie2, January 07, 2011, 03:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Yeah, gotta get a Corbin.  They are the way forward.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JetdocX

This gone way off topic, now.  But, I had a corbin and sold it.  Since the suspension mods, the bike sits higher and the corbin would not let me touch.
From parts unknown.

zombie2

Had a corbin and it was the worst seat I've ever had.
I've got the gel seats and I really like them , long days not a problem.
And not for nuthin I'll never give up me 955i , just too nice of a bike

ix

I've been thinking about this same topic (Girly vs. Beaker, not seat comfort) a lot since the Tiger 800 was announced. I've always wanted a "Tiger Cub", and Triumph has finally gone and built it. When the Tiger 800 actually came out and the reviews were positive, I decided an 800XC should be my next bike.

Now I'm not so sure.

First, the 800XC is having some teething problems. No surprise, it's a first year model, but realistically that means I don't want one until at least the 2012 model, maybe later, and then I'm going to wait a couple years after that for the used bike prices to come down.

Second, the 800XC is very similar to the BMW F800GS, so to be fair I have to ride both back-to-back to see which I like better. I'll probably still prefer the Triumph for many of the same reasons I liked the 955i better than the R1200GS (more oomph, more character, better exhaust note, and all for a lower price), but I have to try.

Third, I recently discovered that used KTM 950 Adventures are finally selling in a price range I'd be willing to pay, and that's weighing heavily on my mind. 950s and 800XCs have similar power, weight, and farkle-ability, and the 950/990 Adventures have a community just as insanely devoted and helpful as the Tiger community has been.

OTOH, I have no intention of letting go of my Girly anytime soon. It's reliable, speedy, amazingly flexible, all-week comfortable, nicely farkled, the bad bits have been sorted, and it's completely paid for. In fact, if it blows up anytime in the next couple years, I'll probably consider buying another Girly in the same generation (2001-2004) to replace it and just move all my gear across.
- Ix

ix

I must have a British butt - I've spent 14-20 hours a day on my stock 2004 Girly seat, sometimes for days in a row, and it's been extremely comfortable.

I would like it to be flatter, so I can choose where to sit and stop sliding into the lumps, but I'm afraid to have it Corbined (or otherwise refoamed) because overall it's been great.
- Ix

ix

I've been thinking... Is the 800XC better enough for off-road or piss-poor-road travel to be worth the extra money? Or can a Girly be modified enough to be just as good (or at least good enough), and still come out cheaper?

If I modify my Girly with:
    - updated suspension
    - 21" front wheel
    - raised front fender
    - tougher luggage
    - crash bars
    - radiator guards
    - bash plate
    - grippier pegs
    - tougher handguards
...does the 800XC really have any advantages over the 955i on an adventure tour?

The Beaker is lighter to begin with, but it's still a bigass bike to be taking in the dirt. Loaded with fuel and luggage it still tops 500 lbs.

The 800XC has an aluminum swingarm which can't be welded back together by a backwoods mechanic 1000 miles from the next city.

The Girly is not just heavy, it's topheavy, and that's a problem on sketchy surfaces (mud, sand, gravel, rocky riverbed, etc.). The Beaker supposedly hides its weight well. This may be the most significant difference on bad roads or off road, and I don't know any easy or cheap ways to make the 955i lighter or improve its CG. The bike feels amazingly easy to handle with the tank off, which leads me to wish I could move some of the gas and/or the battery lower, but there's no room to do that.

The 955i doesn't have a stump-puller first gear, and doesn't like to go too slowly. Fixing that with sprockets might make highway travel a bitch. I haven't ridden an 800XC yet, but I haven't read any reviews that mention an ultra-low first gear for technical off-roading situations. I'm guessing it has the normal road-oriented ratios. Gearing may be a wash.

The reviews say the on/off throttle transitions on the 800XC are somewhat abrupt. This is one thing the 955i does better than any other bike I've ridden, and one of the top reasons I fell in love with it. It's easy to smoothly roll on and off the power without help from the clutch. That 's  a big benefit when traction sucks.

The 800XC actually has less suspension travel than the 955i. Nobody complains about the Beaker's suspension travel, so it must be enough.
- Ix

Birdy68

Quote from: "zombie2"You can only own one of two bikes.
The 955 tiger (or a steamer if ya happen to have one) roadies don't count
Or the new 800XC

The 800XC!

Especially if coming from a Steamer like myself - I now have 2 years work guarantee, no MOT's to be done for the first 5 years - all the latest in gadgets such as ABS, EFi, On board computer... - more power - better stability - cheaper to run - AND LIGHTER.... Ooooh does that make a difference  :D

I still wished I'd kept my old Steamer - but - well - ya know .....
Life goes on... Embrace and enjoy!
If we keep hanging on to the 'old' things and ways of life, then we'd still be here in fur cloths and clubs in our hands!!!

Move on - keep pushing the envelope of technology...
If ya so sentimental - keep the old block of metal and preserve it.

Just my view on things!
It's DEFIANTLY not the view for many - and PROBABLY the view of some!
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they\'re hot!

ramseybella

I miss my old Steamer even with the Air filter changing issues, I own the 1050 now and is a great bike with poor head lights but a thriller indeed 20k in less than a year.

One thing about my steamer I miss is being one with it I could throw that Baby into a hard turn faster than the 1050 with No Fear Many years on Dirt bikes made me love that big 19" front wheel on the Steamer, thinking about the 1200 coming out!!

Have not posted in some time.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree For some unexplainable reason I have a bit more confidence on the Steamer, maybe it's an investment thing :icon_scratch
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint