News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

T800XC x Super Tenere

Started by Nimrod11, February 13, 2011, 06:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod11

Perhaps a rather biased forum (wonder why I think that...), but I wanted to hear some opinions about how the new 800xc compares to the new Super Tenere 1200.

I have a '04 Girly and love it. Went on a trip recently and the only things that let me down were changes I had done myself. Very trusty bike. But I have been iching for a new bike. Beemers are out of the question - love them, but I just don't think they are that good and cost so much more.

We don't have access to many bikes in Brazil and it seems the new Super Tenere is going to be available in the first half of this year. No date for the 800xc.

Things I like about each bike:

XT1200Z:
- Yamaha is in Brazil - Triumph only has a rep who are crooks. Yamaha has dealers all over the country. Triumph has 2 or 3 I have never been to.
- Shaft drive
- a very smart braking system with ABS and cross braking
- 1200 cc size - nice for long trips
- Yamaha quality
- beter protection from wind than the 800xc

800XC:
- lighter bike, easier on offroads or dirt
- triple engine - I just love my 955 engine
- 21" front wheel - I had a XT600 before and loved the "go anywhere" feeling
- it's a Triumph

I know these bikes don't quite compare directly, but they seem to be the options I would have for my next bike. Any opinions will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
----------
Tiger 2004

Tiger-G

Hi Nimrod,

I think you've answered your own question  :)

There's little comparison between the two bikes. One is a "Big Trailie" and one is a "Medium Trailie", so it depends on what you want, and what you intend to use it for.

With the Yam, I love the power, presence, and hugeness of a "Big Trailie". I like the fact you can chuck a passenger on the back, put loads of luggage on it and it still does the job really well. Having said that, a 1200cc bike with 110bhp and only a 23 litre tank will have a limited range of about 200 miles. So if you are not going off road this would be a great bike for touring.

The Tiger 800 is a lot lighter, only has 90bhp and only has a 19 litre tank, so again it is going to be limited in range, and once fully loaded with luggage and a passenger, is going to be struggling for pace and presence. Having said that, it should be better off road.

So, it depends on what you want from your bike ??

I would wait until the Tiger 1200 comes out  :)
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

oxnsox

I read a review on the 800 where the reviewer concluded it was better than the GS1200 he'd had for a year or so.

But really I'd guess its not an apples to apples comparison to line any of the lighter 800 options up against the 1200's.

I'd say you've probably answered your own question if Yamaha have a better support network... not just in Brasil but probably in all of South America
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Calne

Bike Magazine has reviewed both recently.  Why not try and get a backcopy or two to compare.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Bike/

Having had an older yamaha tenere in the past and a tiger now, I can tell you which one is more sensibly constructed, better supported by dealers and is much more durable.  But I can also tell you which one steals the heart and makes you ride more - in the end this is what really matters.  I suspect the same will be true of the new bikes.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

the new Super Tenere doesnt get a very flattering write up in this months Motorcycle Sport - their main complaints (tester incuded Simon Pavey) was that it was a bit bland and uninspiring, the ABS cant be turned off if you do decide to venture off road, and the price - £13000!  :shock:

NKL

Why is everyone obsesed with 1200cc, BMW only have that capacity because its the only way they can get 100BHP out of their old design engine.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Nimrod11

I really enjoyed those answers and tips. I was never hoping to compare apples to apples, but rather get a feel of the "pros" opinions in the forum.

The permanent ABS of the ST seems to be one point people complain about but I'm wondering if it isn't one of those things people complain about just because everyone does. From what I read, it seems the system is quite fantastic and only the tip top pros, driving hard, would want it off - far from my situation. Seems to me that Yamaha has really cracked the nut here and made a damn good ABS.

Smaller engine and less power doesn't worry me. After all, the 800 is lighter and possibly "funner" offroad. Range does worry me but then both are a poor choice - equaly poor.

Anyway, two different worlds... I just very much enjoy your thoughts. Thanks!
----------
Tiger 2004

JetdocX

Please take it from a chap who has ridden down a steep loose shale hill, you do NOT want ABS here.  I almost took out my best riding buddy because I forgot to cancel the ABS on my 650 BMW.

What I want to see is front ABS all the time and rear selectable but clearly, I'm blowing smoke up my own ass.
From parts unknown.

Nimrod11

Quote from: "JetdocX"What I want to see is front ABS all the time and rear selectable

And that's what I think you get. If you hit the front brakes, you get braking on both wheels with ABS. If you hit the back first, it doesn't distribute to the front and it seems that the ABS is less effective.

I appreciate the comments but, if you read around, it's amazing how many ride reports you find stating how good the system is. I can't say, never having had an ABS bike.
----------
Tiger 2004

blacktiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Please take it from a chap who has ridden down a steep loose shale hill, you do NOT want ABS here.  I almost took out my best riding buddy because I forgot to cancel the ABS on my 650 BMW.

From what I've read about the Yamaha, the ABS is intelligent somehow. Comparing the BMW's system with the new Yam system is like chalk and cheese....apparently.

Triumph 800 or Yam1200? You rightly wrote that this will be a biased opinion on here.
So, your head would say Yamaha because of the dealer network in your country it is a very clever bike but also immensely heavy.
My heart would be for the Triumph because it'll be the only one within 500 miles and will sound better on full chat and it'll be just as reliable as any other bike if my Tiger is anything to go by. I wouldn't worry about lack of dealers because the service spares (filters, brake pads, plugs and oil) will be the same as a lot of Jap bikes so you can get them anywhere. The unique and unusual bits can be had by post.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Nimrod11

Blacktiger, you just about summed up my feelings also. Head goes to Yamaha, heart to Triumph. But since having a bike isn't a head thing in the first place, Triumph is winning this one.

Anyway, neither bike is being sold here yet so just wishful thinking for now.

Thanks for all the inputs guys!
----------
Tiger 2004