News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rode an 800 today

Started by AK Tiger, March 19, 2011, 03:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK Tiger

The local Triumph shop, Southern California Triumph, had a Triumph Demo Day.  So I rode my Tiger the 50 miles to their store and test rode the 800 Tiger.  I rode the street unit, not the 800xc.

I was ready to dismiss the unit as I dismissed the BMW 800GS. Oh my golly, would that be a mistake.  What a fun bike!  It is lighter, a bit lower in the saddle, but giving up 155cc's or so didn't hurt a bit.  It has none of the vibration that the 800GS has.  It's a fantastic motor!  Torque all over the place, revs VERY nicely.  Revs much quicker than the 955 so it takes a bit to get used to.  Very good brakes.  Handling is different than my 955 but I don't mean that in a bad way.  It's more instantaneous.  Think it and you're there.

The only downside is that the passanger's seat is pretty thin and short.  If that's not a concern then, well, there you go!

I hate to say it but I may have to get me one of these bad boys.  :D
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

brad1098

Donnelsons in St. Louis has an XC in as a demo.  Some friends of mine went and checked it out today.   No demo rides.  5" of snow in St. Lou today
02 black-Lorna

AK Tiger

5" of snow, eh?  I have such a love/hate relation with So. Cal. but you just can't beat the weather out here.

On the 800 issue ... I'm really thinking about buying one!  The XC has the same seat height as my '05 Tiger but I really can't justify the additional expense for features I rarely use.  Before I buy, I will do the test ride on the XC  however.  Just to be certain.

This all assumes that I can get this purchase past the familly's CFO, AKA, my wife.   :wink:
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

davevv

The Triumph demo truck was here in town yesterday and today.  I really need to stop going to those events!  After the last one I attended two years ago, I ended up buying a used '07 Tiger.  But the new 800 looked so appealing I just had to go ride one first thing yesterday.

Big mistake!  What a marvelous machine.  Obviously doesn't have the punch of the 1050,  but still more than enough power to be worlds of fun and also comes equipped with superb handling and a much slicker transmission than the Roadie.  It fits me beautifully and is very comfortable.

I did manage to hold out for about 24 hours before I went back and gave them a deposit.  My new 800 should be here in about three weeks.

If you're not willing to part with the dollars, I'd suggest you don't go ride one.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
\'11 Tiger 800 on the way.
\'08 Moto Guzzi Norge, \'07 Tiger 1050, \'06 Scrambler, \'82 Honda XL185S, \'74 Yamaha DT360A

walker

IF I didn't like my bonneville so much, I'd have a deposit on a new tiger already.

enjoy the new ride :)

davevv

Quote from: "walker"IF I didn't like my bonneville so much, I'd have a deposit on a new tiger already.

enjoy the new ride :)

I know exactly how you feel, but luckily my stable happens to include two Scramblers because my son and I have both been using them as our daily rides.  If I had to get rid of both Scramblers to get the 800, it would have been a much tougher decision.  As it is, only one of the Scramblers is going away and I'll still have the other whenever I need that particular fix.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
\'11 Tiger 800 on the way.
\'08 Moto Guzzi Norge, \'07 Tiger 1050, \'06 Scrambler, \'82 Honda XL185S, \'74 Yamaha DT360A

RT

Did a test ride on XC today.  Your nailed it pretty well.   Very nice bike.  Would like to give the street a try but couldn't wait today for when it was available.   Very easy to ride, plenty of umph.   Was impressed.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

cascadetiger

The local dealer got a Tiger 800 in, drove the Steamer down and took it for a test ride.  It was only 48F, so it wasn't a long ride.  Very nice bike overall.  This one had the Arrow exhaust and the sound was perfect.  Not too loud, but loud enough to enjoy the triple noises.  I was a little dissapointed in the power though.  My son has a 675 Daytona that scares the crap out of me.  I thought the Tiger motor would have more guts.  It didn't feel any faster than my old Steamer.  I got on the Steamer to drive home and was happy enough, I didnt feel the lust to buy the 800.  Not yet anyway.

walker

Quote from: "cascadetiger"The local dealer got a Tiger 800 in, drove the Steamer down and took it for a test ride.  It was only 48F, so it wasn't a long ride.  Very nice bike overall.  This one had the Arrow exhaust and the sound was perfect.  Not too loud, but loud enough to enjoy the triple noises.  I was a little dissapointed in the power though.  My son has a 675 Daytona that scares the crap out of me.  I thought the Tiger motor would have more guts.  It didn't feel any faster than my old Steamer.  I got on the Steamer to drive home and was happy enough, I didnt feel the lust to buy the 800.  Not yet anyway.

I test drove one today, while waiting for my inspection to be done on the 955. After reading all the reviews online, I expected more "oomph". Nice bike though. (This was the street version). Feels a lot lighter than it is. Seating position with the pegs reminded me of the bonneville for some reason.

Seemed a bit more peppy than my old 885 2000 ... not as much low end, a little more top end power.

It's a nifty bike - but just didn't do it for me.... well, considering the cost of getting one new.

JetdocX

I rode an XC today.  Very nice right out of the crate.  I would compare it to an F800GS except it's much, much better.

Guess I'll be selling the Steamer. :cry:
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"I rode an XC today.  Very nice right out of the crate.  I would compare it to an F800GS except it's much, much better.

Guess I'll be selling the Steamer. :cry:

My search engine is smokin', I am sure there is a statement from you about chewing inedible things if it all came to pass  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

Seriously next day, I wrote the for sale ad.  I have yet to post it anywhere as I'm waiting for some good photos of the beast in action. :lol:

I took the Steamer for a long day ride today and it just pissed me off.  I think I've been spoiled. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Last weekend another Striple friend and I went for a blast and some Nasi Lemak. On the way back while we were topping up a guy rode in on his new 800 roadie, he was coming down the slope in the dark straight at me so all I could see were blazing headlights as I looked up. I turned round and said to my mate "f@#$ me that's a new Tiger" and was still surprised when I was proved right  :shock: the sound was unmistakable even from a 100m away.

After a chat and wiping the drool off my chin I needed a swift kick when he turned round and said "here's the key take it for a spin".

I only had it in second gear around the services but everything about it felt immediately right, can't wait to get up to MCS and get a proper ride.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

stopwatch

Rode them both. Great bikes. The biggest difference for me is the seating position. I like the 800 much better than the 800XC. The XC makes me feel as though I'm on top of the bike. On the 800 version I feel as though I'm down in the saddle a bit more, much like my 2001 955. It's a great engine and the power to weight ratio seems to give it more "oomph" than the 955 and very comparable to an 1150, but without the quirky 1150 handling. The standard 800 seems to be very much like a lighter, quicker 955. I don't care for the ergos (or front end look) of the XC as much although it does come with bar risers which are nice for riding while standing up. For the type of riding I do (mostly twisties, slab, with some forest roads, gravel, mild single track, occasional rocky/ sandy creek bottom crossings) the 800 seems a better version of my 955 and I REALLY love my 955!

Also a plus on the new 800 is the fact that (like the 1150) the headlight adjustment/ bulb replacement and radiator cap are much more accesible. The regulator/ rectifier is located behind and slightly above the radiator fan which hopefully will provide better cooling than behind the left side cover as on the 955. There's even enough room on top of the valve cover to warm my lunch! I have to warm food behind the cylinders on my 955 (not much heat there in cold weather).

framebinder

I took a short test ride on a roadie 800 and I was severely smitten.  It wasn't broke in, so I had to be nice.  Even so, great throttle sound with quick, smooth sifting, felt natural to steer, nice brakes.  I'm 6', 32" inseam.  I started the ride with the seat lowered and I felt like I was being pushed forward down hill.  Changed it to the higher position and it felt better.  The pegs, the bars , all fit better.  I couldn't flat foot the ground, but the higher seat is the way to go.  I didn't mind the standard screen either in terms of turbulence.  I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but I don't like black and the yellow I need to see before plunking down any dollars and it won't be available until July.  At least that's what I'm telling myself.
framebinder