News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

so, they've been out a while now...

Started by NeilD, April 12, 2011, 10:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

anyone seen any reports back on bikes after they'e had a bit of mileage put on them? any problems reported yet?

ron frisco

my 800 street tiger is back at the dealer, it stalls all the time as soon as I give it some gas, just blip the throttle and it stalls

Boxmonkey

I have read of others having the stalling problem. I have 817 miles on mine without issue, but I've had the Arrow can and map installed from day one.
Tiger 800 ABS

Birdy68

I too have read about this stalling 'feature' - but like Boxmonkey, I have had the exhaust exchanged and the ECU remapped!

2'500 km on the clock now and not 1 stalling issue.
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they\'re hot!

NeilD

well I took an 800 'Roadie' out for a test ride today...

.. I found it very bland, dont seem to get the kick in the back like I do from the carb 885 Thunderbird Sport that I rode over there on.. yeah its faster( I guess) but just doesnt feel like it..  seemed a little jerky if you went off then on the throttle.. also was rough at some revs, had to play around changing gears to find one that it ran smoothly in when stickign to 30 and 40 mph limits..

but the big problem for me was the 'screen'.. couldnt lift my visor even when travelling at 30 mph, and get up to 60 and it just gave me a headache - felt like I had someone punching each shoulder alternately.. very odd.. and I purposly rode the same route that I ridden then on the naked bike so that I could compare..

found the suspension a little hard, but having said that it did seem to cope well with the collapsed fenland road that I found to try out!  :D

also impressed with the turning circle and apparently lightness - feet up U turns in tightish spaces were straightforward..

brakes were 'OK'  but still the same crappy sliding caliper nissins they've been using since the year dot.

I said I'll try the XC demo when its ready, but I've gone from 'where do i sign' to having a rethink of what I'm goign to buy next...

CoolHandLuke

I have put around 300 miles on a roadie and I really enjoyed it.

It inspires confidence for wandering down single tracks and light off road - light and well balanced.  I can't think of many situations where one person would not be able to pick the bike back up again - unlike my Steamer.

I am 6'3" and I had no problem with leg room.  Strangely, I found the seat more comfortable on a lower seat setting.

I think the bike is too light for replacing the 1050's road touring capabilities.  It is blown about quite easy and I am sure adding luggage would only increase this problem.  I would love to see someone do a Ewan and Charlie trek on one of these to really test its merits.

A good commuter bike, a little bit sporty, but no grin factor when twisting the throttle.

One item that is going to be an issue.  No detachable rear subframe or detachable pillion hangers.

NeilD

yep I found it comfy enough, although the bars would want adjusting for me..again the XC might cure that as I believe the bars are different...
the buffeting is the major thing, didnt have any of that on my Steamer nor on the naked TBS...  maybe I was expecting too much, thinking I was going to have an 'oh my god this is what i've been missing out on ' moment, when I just found it to be 'alright'..

jphish

No matter how tall / short you are the XC requires risers. 20mm size was sufficient to make significant improvement. Even at a diminuative 5'8" - stock bars were WAY too low. Tall windscreen was also an improvement over standard - but still alot to be desired here - marginal at best. Palmer has, (or will have) his brackets / screen ready soon. Huge improvement on my Girly - hope the same for XC.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "jphish"No matter how tall / short you are the XC requires risers. 20mm size was sufficient to make significant improvement. Even at a diminuative 5'8" - stock bars were WAY too low. Tall windscreen was also an improvement over standard - but still alot to be desired here - marginal at best. Palmer has, (or will have) his brackets / screen ready soon. Huge improvement on my Girly - hope the same for XC.
+1 (and to Neil) I had forgotten that point.  I don't know who they got to test ride these bikes, but yes, they are way too low and I would have thought someone would have raised this as an issue during testing.

blacktiger

Well, I've got 1300 miles on my XC now and I'm really happy with it. No stalling issues. No buffeting from the screen. No problem getting both feet flat on the ground. No numb bum from the stock seat. It's got plenty of go from tickover to red line. Smooth. Really smooth right round the rev counter.
The only niggles I have are :-
1) I suspect the bars are too straight for ultimate comfort. Although I have already done a 450 mile day without too much effort.
2) The hand guards are crap so I've fitted Tiger1050 ones.
3) The screen creates wind roar in the chin vent of my C3 helmet. I'm going to look at the Palmer brackets to fit their screen I have on my 955 already.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

NeilD

the buffeting seems to vary from person to person so must be a 'size and shape' thing  :)  I just wonder if you can run it without the screen? I think I will give the XC a go and see if thats any better/different, maybe adjust the seat height as I rode the 800 with it on the highest setting.. l

Boxmonkey

I have 1646 miles so far on my T800 Road ABS, and I am very happy with the bike. I don't have a ton of experience, but the Tiger works great for me. Smooth ride, good power,slick shifting, easily flicked around, and comfortable for me. I get more wind noise than buffeting from the screen, but still better than my last bike.I mainly commute, but take the occasional day trip once in a while. So far the only negatives seem to be less than stellar mileage (43-44mpg US), but I do have the Arrow exhaust and map. A little extra heat from the engine area, but I have since adjusted to it. In my opinion, it is way better than my Versys which is a very nice bike.
Tiger 800 ABS

KuzzinKenny

Hey Boxmonkey !! i think yer MPG will improve with more miles on the clock  :D

for wind noise i use these.......

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max-lite

they're very soft and i can wear them all day  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Boxmonkey

How funny! Those are the exact ear plugs I have started using. Part of the problem may be my HJC. Others I know say theirs HJC helmets are kind of noisy also. I think I am going to try an Icon Variant or Scorpion 750 next. The mileage has gone up since new. It started around 40-41mpg, after about 1200 is seemed to start improving.
Tiger 800 ABS

Mustang

most , if not all triumph engines like to get a couple thousand miles on them b4 they start to "loosen up" :wink: