News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Expensive oil filter...

Started by gatordoc, April 14, 2011, 03:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatordoc

So I rode the my Steamer down to the local triumph store yesterday to pick up some bits to continue making up for years of neglected services by previous owners.  On the way back through the showroom, naturally the parts department is hidden in the back, I noticed an '11 Tiger 800 sitting there begging for attention.  Sales guy caught me wiping drool off the tank and offered to let me demo it and the rest was as easy as a call to the bank and a bunch of signatures.  8)

First impressions...   night and day between the 800 and steamer.  I know, duh.

The triple is brilliant, but regrettably doesn't sound like a tractor.  Still pulls like one, though.  5000 is going to be hard to stick to for break in.

Throttle control feels very touchy, but that could just be my coming from a 15 year old carbed bike to EFI.  I have difficulty maintaining 15 mph in 1st without lots of throttle input, for example.

The non-XC is very stiffly sprung, definitely meant for road going, but it helps the agility immensely.  No dive under normal breaking what so ever.

I got the dealer to throw in the low seat and it helps a wee bit, but not tons.  My Steamer is lowered (eccentrics reversed and forks 3/4" up) and I'm about the same on the 800, maybe a tad lower.  29" inseam.  The taller XC would likely be too much for me, though I can't be certain as the dealer did not have one for comparison.  No complaints, I've No intent to go off pavement with this bike so the non-XC suits me fine.

She's a little more windy on the highway than the steamer, but I was expecting more turbulence at 70 mph.  That tiny looking windscreen actually works pretty well.  I'm 5'7" and the air guys me in the upper chest with little buffeting.  Have yet to go faster due to break in RPM limits.

Ergos are good, though I may end up with aftermarket bars since I have to reach just a tad further than I like.  Seat is good, though I only put about 70 miles on it yesterday.  No soreness, discomfort, or other bottom one issues.

WTF was Triumph thinking with the reflectors on the forks?  The rest of the bike is very well put together, but those bits are the cheapest little... thing.  Minor complaint, really, but I had to think of something.

Concerned about services, specifically the service required indicator on the dash.  According to the manual is has to he reset by the dealer, but I intend to do services myself.  Hopefully they don't hassle me about this.

Dealer was not flexible on price, predictably and understandably, but did give me about $600 in accessories to sweeten the deal.  I'm planning hand guards, heated grips, crash protection, and some sort of lockable luggage in the future, but I'm going to wait and see what the aftermarket comes out with before buying.  I am leaning towards adding the XC high fender as well, just so I can properly call it a beaker.  :D

In summary, this was definitely the most expensive, yet satisfying, oil filter I've ever bought.  Moral of the story is, don't take a demo ride unless you're prepared to ride away on one.

Pics will follow later today, it was dark last night by the time I finished taking the long way home.

Yes, I am keeping the Steamer.  She's been good to me and is just different enough to justify keeping.  at least until The wife starts getting after me.

Cheers!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800

JetdocX

I almost did the same exact thing with an XC demo the other day.  These bikes are scary-good! :shock:
From parts unknown.

harre

For some reason, you keeping the Steamer made me feel good. I too saw the new 800 at the dealer today (was looking for exhaust seals). It is a looker that's for sure. No test drive 'cause I know how that would make me feel about my baby (Steamer). I tested the Tiger 1050 when it was new, but that was no problem, I never saw that as a true contender. I have also ridden the 955i (my brothers) and that was no big problem either. No need to change bike. The difference in handling and engine character is not that big, and it does not have Steamer appeal. But with the new 800 it's another story. I want one. Congratulations.

ArcticTiger

:D Congrats with your "oil filter" purchase :occasion14
And Thank You for the "do not testride if..........." warning :mrgreen:
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

oxnsox

Soo I'll be buying my next oil filter on-line then.  :)
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jphish

Shoulda read this first! Went to my too friendly Tacoma Triumph dealer to pick up my 06' Girly. Paul sez - "hey John - ya outa take a quick spin on the XC demo while yur here". End of story - now on order - damn.