News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My Trip to Wales via Cornwall and back through Oxfordshire

Started by CoolHandLuke, April 19, 2011, 02:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolHandLuke

Last week I went to see some friends in Aberystwyth, Wales, and I decided to take the long route there via St Agnes, in Cornwall.

I chose the Cornish campsite online and I don't think there is a better place for the views and proximity to the coastline.  The place is a working farm, but you would never know it from how clean the place is.  The owners were really friendly as were all of the people staying there that I spoke to.

The campsite was called Beacon Cottage Farm Holidays

Not long after my arrival, getting the essential brew underway:

The view from the tent:

A short walk, of about 200 yards, from the tent led to a disused tin mine.  

I stayed in Cornwall for two days.  On my travels, I found this converted building that was possibly an old pump house:

Some more random views.  These were taken on the coastline between St Agnes and St Ives:

And here we have St Ives:

Wednesday was anticipated to be wet and cold, so I packed up my stuff early Wednesday morning and headed up to Aberystwyth for somewhere warm to sleep.  Whilst there, I had to visit a garage off the beaten track to thank and pay for some work they had done on my friends car when no one else had been able to fix the problem.  Whilst in there, I discovered this battery charger.  Unfortunately, I only had my iPhone with me, so the following pictures are not so good.

When I got home, using the following manufacturers plate, I was able to determine the charger was built sometime between 1920 and 1935.

And it is still in use:

The guy running the garage said he had seen one in a museum up in Scotland and actually told the guy running the place that he had one and was still using it!

Putts255

Very nice pictures.  Thanks for sharing.  

Wish it was warmer here....
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Tigertriple

Great pictures.  :D
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

NeilD

campsite looks like a nice spot..  8)

Bixxer Bob

Good pics Luke.  I like St Ives; we used to do an annual charity run for the Cambridge Children's hospice (a more heart-ripping place to visit you couldn't find) from St Ives Cambridge to St Ives Cornwall called the "Pasty Run".  We did the 400 miles down on the Sat and 400 miles back on the Sunday.  Just a little jaunt for some folks....  :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ScottV

Beautiful pictures! Love that copper colored Tiger.

BONANZA

Great photos Luke. Can,t wait to get some time off work and strap the tent on the bike.
05 Tiger
95 Speed Triple

Timbox2

Nice pics and refreshing not to see a bike in every shot.

One of my first jobs after leaving school was working for a battery manufacturer, we had similar chargers but about 3 times the size. We made batterys for Submarines amongst other things and I seem to remember we used to connect up a load of them in series.
2016 Tiger Sport

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Good pics Luke.  I like St Ives; we used to do an annual charity run for the Cambridge Children's hospice (a more heart-ripping place to visit you couldn't find) from St Ives Cambridge to St Ives Cornwall called the "Pasty Run".  We did the 400 miles down on the Sat and 400 miles back on the Sunday.  Just a little jaunt for some folks....  :?
You didn't stop here by any chance?

I had someone challenge me to stop in St Ives and bring them a pasty back.  I am not sure they will enjoy it, as I bought it a week ago and it has been in my topbox since then :)

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "ScottV"Beautiful pictures! Love that copper colored Tiger.
Thank you.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Good pics Luke.  I like St Ives; we used to do an annual charity run for the Cambridge Children's hospice (a more heart-ripping place to visit you couldn't find) from St Ives Cambridge to St Ives Cornwall called the "Pasty Run".  We did the 400 miles down on the Sat and 400 miles back on the Sunday.  Just a little jaunt for some folks....  :?
That sounds like a good run.  Do they still do it?

outrunner

Great pics and it looks like you had the weather on your side. :D

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
That sounds like a good run.  Do they still do it?

The chap that used to organise it was killed on his 'Blade about 5 yrs ago.  We did one more as a memorial to him but then - as happens with RAF station clubs - folks came and went and we didn't do another.  Club went through a very low patch but has picked up recently, I need to suggest bringing it back to the new people...  :wink:  

We used to get the pasties from a commercial supplier - H&S wouldn't let us sell pasties if we brought them back on the bikes, so we went down, paid for them,had them delivered and then sold them around the offices to raise more money.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aeronca

good report and nice pic's. what kind of rim's are those on your bike?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "aeronca"good report and nice pic's. what kind of rim's are those on your bike?

I'm not sure, but they are going back :(

I had to have the front wheel sent back three times because it was laced incorrectly.  This resulted in the rim being chipped around the spoke holes and salt ingressing under the finish.

Thanks for reminding me, I shall chase that today :)