News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Scotland Off-Road Trails?

Started by Dalin, November 24, 2004, 08:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalin

Hey Lads,

since I'm gonna go in summer 2005 to Scotland for holiday I'm interested in ye suggestions about  Scottish Off-Road trails. A mate with his MZ Baghira and me with a T709 wanna enjoy the uncivilized parts of the northern highlands as well as a couple of distilleries. So common ye Scots have some detailed recommendations for a "Celtic Brother".  :wink:

Cheers

Dalin
Even in Africa there are Tiger.

hholties

Hello,

I an going this sommer to scottland. Thit you do some off-road way's ?

Do you have any other tips for me ?

Hendrik

Jim S

HI Guys,

I'm from NE Scotland, unfortunately due to the laws in this country it's hard to find a bit of offroad, the Forestry Commission have chased me several times for running around in the woods!

The best suggestion I can come up with is there is a drovers trail called the Corrieyairack pass, which I would probably class as the only green lane in Scotland that is legal for vehicles. I've driven it a couple of times in my 88" Land rover with the Buchan offroad club. 14 miles of hard trail, historically one of General Wade's roads built to quell the Highland uprisings mid 1700's. It stretches from Fort Augustus to Laggan village. It has a steep ladder that takes you to the top of the pass that will amaze you, views of the surrounding mountain range to take your breath away, a lovely little glen with a burn running through it to stop and have a break, then once over the pass you will have to turn and come back as there are gates at the Fort Augustus end which are causing a bit of an issue as this is really a public right of way and should not be blocked but the land onwer at that end has other ideas! We met and spoke to the police there once, the road is open, but as it's a civil issue they are not willing to help in re-opening it. Last time I was up I passed a German Land rover and a couple of Yamaha XT's so it is being used.

Now, to make a trip out of it, I would suggest coming from the South from Fort William, head North to Spean Bridge, take a right and head for Newtonmore. This by the way, is my all time favourite road, some straights, some long sweepers and "real" corners that will touch down the footpegs! Halfway up this road you come to the small village of Laggan. (this is Glen bogle country, the Monarch of the Glen series was shot on location at Loch Laggan, Ardverike house and Laggan village) Take a left at the store and follow this road, when you run out of tar you're there!

When you come back to the Laggan end, possibly three hours (it's pretty rough, be warned!) Head North to Newtonmore, this will take you back on to the A9 close to Aviemore and continue with your trip.

It's just an idea, have a look on the map. I hope this helps? Let me know if you do it.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade