Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
YES! 9 years! A recent dead battery has got me diagnosing my electrical system to make sure the RR and stator are still good.  Thought I would post that the Mod is still good 9 years later and the RR has checked out fine.  Need to check the stator next.  I was a little concerned about the RR at first because some of the contacts were dirty and I felt maybe a little loose after 9 years so I cleaned and DE greased them and added a large piece of shrink wrap over all the connections and added a couple if zip ties to keep it all tight and clean.

Hmm, trying to add Pic, but things have changed since I posted last, will find a way and come back and add picture.
Or some Heed Bars....
 :nap Thanks for this after the second "Fuck it's going over" fall I really need to drop my unit. Till this I was thinking I need longer legs or a smaller bike.
Ride Reports / Re: The Ireland Trip
« Last post by Timbox2 on June 19, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »
Blimey, fair enough, fortunate indeed, split link? Havent seen one of them since god knows, anyway glad it was a happy ending  :thumbsup
« Last post by London_Phil on June 19, 2018, 07:27:39 AM »
Nice report, Thanks for sharing, so come on London Phil, spill the beans, not enough slack??

Long story short, I bought my bike from Carl Rosner Triumph in Croydon, with 12K on the clock. It had what looked like a good condition chain and sprockets, but had a split link in it.
My assumption was that although it probably would be better to have a riveted chain, it was from a dealer, and so it was OK.
It would appear that was wrong, and I either had a poor quality chain on it, or it had been abused in the past.
I didn't get a photo, but it wasn't the split link that failed, but one link a bit further round the chain. One of the side plates failed, and sheared.
Although I had been paranoid about slack and lubrication, I would say the chain was either inadequate, cheap, or had not been lubricated properly in the past.
I think I was lucky that it failed when it did, at the very low speed it did, and the only damage was the plastic front sprocket cover, that got cracked.

Looking for an ebay scottoiler now, but the chain is now a DID quality one, and both sprockets are in good condition, so who knows....

« Last post by Timbox2 on June 19, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
Nice report, Thanks for sharing, so come on London Phil, spill the beans, not enough slack??
« Last post by GavD on June 18, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
Looks like you had the weather chaps, shame I couldn't get away to join you this year.
Electrics has never been my strong point but I do have the above mod and did just as you would painting by numbers,4 wires out of the R/R two black two red.

Splice two blacks and have one with one wire to the neg,splice to reds together with the maxi fuse to the pos and that’s it.
Chassis & Suspension / Re: Help please - rear brake pad pin removal...
« Last post by HockleyBoy on June 18, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »
I had the problem a long time back and got round it by very careful drilling of the pin before I was able to extract it and then clean up the thread. This will only work if you haven't changed the pin for stainless steel ones!
« Last post by bemusedinsojo on June 17, 2018, 09:50:33 PM »
I'm glad you didn't lose a leg, Phil. It's hard to shift with a peg leg.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10