News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How much Oil?

Started by zadok_oz, April 04, 2007, 08:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zadok_oz

I just did my first oil change today on my '03 Tiger. Incredibly, as most people have already found out, the owners manual does not specify how much oil it takes (mine doesn't anyway). I replaced the Triumph filter with a K&N one that is cheaper and has the bonus of being able to use with only socket or spanner. After filling the filter with oil before applying, I put in 3 litres of synthetic oil and found it to be at the right level on the dip stick. I will recheck after a ride.

Does this sound right?
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

GatorTiger

Quote from: "zadok_oz"Does this sound right?

Sounds too little... Should be more like 4 liters (don't have the manual handy right now...) when the filter is empty. That thing holds what? 200-300 ml? Although you don't seem to be too low I guess you will have to add some after the ride.
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

NortonCharlie

Somewhere between 3.2 and 3.5 liters is about right unless you have an 01 or early 02 that takes 4 liters to fill it up.  Triumph did a major modification in early 02 to reduce the oil capacity.  They made the dipstick longer.  I have since updated my Tiger and the oil consumption problem is a little less.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

GatorTiger

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"Somewhere between 3.2 and 3.5 liters is about right unless you have an 01 or early 02 that takes 4 liters to fill it up.

That explains it... Mine is one of the first 2001 955i ...   8)

Cheers,

HG

zadok_oz

Cheers. I rechecked after taking it for a ride and 3.2 seems to be right.
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

Stretch

Wasn't there an issue with two different length dipsticks used by Triumph?

That might explain the reported differences in oil quantity from one owner to another.

*Edit* - Whups, that was covered just a couple posts ago.

zadok_oz

Quote from: "Stretch"Wasn't there an issue with two different length dipsticks used by Triumph?

That might explain the reported differences in oil quantity from one owner to another.

*Edit* - Yah, here we are:

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=2738

Seems crazy. I still can't get over not having the capacity in the handbook!
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

NortonCharlie

The bike is supposed to be vertical and the dipstick screwed all the way in.  As far as on the centerstand or off, it doesn't make much difference.  Also you should hold the bike vertical or slightly to the right when after you shut the engine off, otherwise a small amount of oil will sit in the left side of the cylinder head.  The oil drains down through the cam chain channel on the right side of the engine.

HG, If you want to update your motor to 02 plus the part# of the new dipstick is T1261180.  Your dipstick is part#1261167
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

GatorTiger

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"HG, If you want to update your motor to 02 plus the part# of the new dipstick is T1261180.  Your dipstick is part#1261167

Public statement: Charlie doesn't really know my dipstick... err, I mean, he never never, err,  you know, what I'm really trying to say is, err, like, err, oh....... Screw this!!!!

8)

Advwannabe

There's a dipstick?

Mine's had three services since I bought it and the level in the sightglass has never moved.

After 7 years at Uni then another 7 years of low paid work keeping an assortment of broken down bikes alive I have done zero regular maintenance on this bike, some farkling and some minor break down work.

Bliss.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

NortonCharlie

QuoteMine's had three services since I bought it and the level in the sightglass has never moved.

An 02 Tiger doesn't have a sightglass, last sightglass was early 01 885cc engine.  The 1st 955 engines used in the Sprint had the sight glass, but all 955 Tigers had the new die cast cased engine.  It was the 1st Triumph with the new engine.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Advwannabe

Egad you're right! I was thinking of the FJ. Says a lot about my recent maintenance practices   :oops:

As a partial solution to Stretch's query, and for list absolution, went for a ride to warm up the oil. On my return, check the oil with the bike level, top of the mark. Lean to the right, very slight ( almost imperceptable rise in level). Check on centerstand, no change in level.

And now the lazy man's trick, check level on side stand, make a note, now I can check the oil level without putting Tigger on the centerstand, when I remember.....................
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180