News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which of the 2 R/R Mosfet ?

Started by Marc, October 30, 2013, 05:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

No problems so far, but I'm planning to change the R/R of my 955 2003 for a Mosfet FH020AA.
Which of the 2?  Is the one with the harness really plug and play?
Or maybe a 3th option?

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

That price doesn't seem to be much better than the Electrex MOSFET that Chris fitted and I've just bought. The Electrex RR99 is plug and play, but you have to route the purple sensing lead to the battery.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

lukeman

Well I think that you don't really want 100% plug and play if you haven't done the Sasquatch Mod of connecting the R/R directly to the battery. I did the kit in the bottom picture this summer. 

It includes everything needed to bypass the OEM wimpy wiring harness.  Pretty simple just a few solders joins to the metal prongs and a couple crimp connections with heat shrink.  Which you can use a heat gun or a lighter if you're careful.  Also some people solder the wires directly from the stator to the RR and bypass that crappy connector.

:thumbsup

Marc

Quote from: lukeman on October 30, 2013, 07:41:03 PM
Well I think that you don't really want 100% plug and play if you haven't done the Sasquatch Mod of connecting the R/R directly to the battery.

Yes I did the Sasquatch Mod  :thumbsup
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Marc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 30, 2013, 07:19:57 PM
That price doesn't seem to be much better than the Electrex MOSFET that Chris fitted and I've just bought. The Electrex RR99 is plug and play, but you have to route the purple sensing lead to the battery.

Thanks BB, and have you got a link?
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Marc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 31, 2013, 12:09:59 AM
Or if you want to go straight there:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR99-Regulator-Rectifier.html#aRR99

Not possible to order online because... they have a dealer 10 miles from my door!  :XXsunsmile 
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Chris Canning

I didn't order on line either,although I wished I had with the individual on the phone  :icon_rolleyes:,the bad news I've sinced checked she's the only one that answer's  :icon_scratch:

Bixxer Bob

Might actually get round to fitting mine tomorrow.....

Chris Canning

Funny you should say that stripped mine the other week to fit the R/R and now the back end is off for other reasons!! but blimey it's clean now.

Bixxer Bob

Go on, I'll take that carrot,  what "other reasons"   Chris?

Bixxer Bob

While I'm waiting for Chris to come back, I'll update on my reg rec.  I fitted the Electrex MOSFET today. Instant and steady 14.6v from tickover right up the rev range.  Adding lights and heated grips made no difference. Am I a happy man  :love10

I have to explore this further, but she's also running really smooth, no pops or bangs so far and a nice burbling tickover. I can't remember when she last ran as well.  Can't wait to get her out on the road and see if it's made any real difference to all the poor starting / rough running issues.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 01, 2013, 09:46:34 AM
Go on, I'll take that carrot,  what "other reasons"   Chris?

I'll tell you when I've fixed it  :icon_scratch:

Re your bike running well mine did as well when I fired it up as crisp as I've known it for many a day and that's saying something because over the years it run really well.

Bixxer Bob

:icon_confused:

Is this a eureka moment perhaps? Could borderline reg output be the source of many of the rough running issues I wonder?  I'll have a better idea once I've put some miles on her.