News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What is best to clean and lube a speedo sensor?

Started by Dutch, July 23, 2014, 06:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch

As suggested by other board users a new topic.

I mentioned before the magnet in my speedo sensor has passed away  :icon_sad:
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6176.msg92820.html#msg92820

I got a 'new' one from another Girly, but it looks like it has been stored in a hay stack  :BangHead
So the obvious question: how best to clean and lube the darn thing?

Using the search I found:
Quote from: Stretch on August 02, 2008, 02:59:10 PM
Once the sending unit is in your hands, clean it up and make sure the input bushing turns freely inside the casing.  The bushing can be pulled out of the unit for cleaning.  Brake parts cleaner can be used to blast old grease and dirt out of the unit.  After it dries out, lubricate the bearing and bushing with lithium grease and reassemble.
Brake cleaner and lithium grease is tha bomb for this job ?

Many thanks for your thoughts and idea's.
Cheers, Dutch

Chris Canning

I've always used WD40 or similar and a combo of the spray and a small brush it's amazing the amount of crap that comes out.

Sin_Tiger

Get a horse to eat the hay, then see how it looks  :icon_wink:

:iagree WD40 is good for cleaning that sort of thing but use graphite based grease once it's clean,  WD40 left alone dries out and leaves it without lubrication.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

pineygroveshop

I've never cleaned it out, only added new grease whenever in my hand.
Cheers,
Stephen

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 24, 2014, 01:54:49 AM
Get a horse to eat the hay, then see how it looks  :icon_wink:

:iagree WD40 is good for cleaning that sort of thing but use graphite based grease once it's clean,  WD40 left alone dries out and leaves it without lubrication.

You use the WD to clean the grease out in the first place that should read grinding paste not grease  :icon_wink: