News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OLD Panniers by GIVI on a NEW rack on an OLD Steamer?

Started by Danwarb, May 10, 2015, 01:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,  :thumbsup

I've recently joined this Forum and love it. I've been reading your posts for a few weeks now and you've all been both greatly entertaining and seriously useful !

Last week I bought my self another Steamer to replace the one that got stolen two months back. I AM IN LOVE with my steamer and realise more than ever that it truly is a masterpiece of a machine.  :bowdown

I have old GIVI side panniers and am wondering; have GIVI kept the dimension the same between the side bolts / latch system so that older panniers still fit the newer racks?

Also do newer GIVI racks still fit Steamers or should I be looking for older second hand GIVI rack systems?

Cheers guys,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Danwarb

I see there's been a fair few views of this thread so thought I'd post my solution.

I don't like the rack that comes with the bike so I've settled with removing it and always riding with a Boblebee Back Pack. This has in built spine protection while looking great, being comfortable and making it easy to carry shopping or water. With the slightly longer model it's also possible to undo the shoulder carry straps slightly and the backpacks bottom edge then sits on the seat behind me thus then resting on the seat and not hanging off my shoulders so the weight is taken off my shoulders.

For longer journeys I just don't like the 'wing rack' set up by Givi, it's so ugly and I know of no other where the original rear indicators can stay. It's also a faff to fit the rack and take it off or on so I just don't want it.

Instead I'm going to settle for a pair of soft throw over leather, pu or hessian panniers. I got everything I needed for a 4 day festival in the one Boblee back pack then rode out the next day to pick up food and drink. In the future this won't be required as I can fill the soft panniers then on arrival simply undo them and throw them over my shoulder to carry everything. This then always leaves the beautiful lines of my black Tiger untouched.

If any of you have some ingenious and stylish pannier set ups for your Tiger please feel free to inspire us as to how you've got around goods transportation by Tiger?

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

nickjtc

Mine has GIVI Monokey luggage. Not quite so 'with it' as the modern metal 'ammo box' type panniers but quite functional. And the looks are irrelevant to me since it's all about function over form.

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I just use a Lomo roll top 30L, at £25 they are a bargain,  totally waterproof, really tough, easy to stuff and not going to cry if it gets damaged at that price. Doesn't stick out when across the back and will fit lengthways without a ridiculous overhang if you want to keep it streamlined.

I can get ALL my camp gear in one (including the tent) a second for clothes etc.  and when not in use pack down small, I've even used one as a pillow when half inflated, a couple of those and four ROK straps and you can't really go wrong. Sometimes the simplest ways work best.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Hi Nic, I like the way with your pannier set up the original indicators stay in place.

Sin TOTALLY ! Yes ! That looks great and with a matching colour bag and neatly tying it up it could look even better. I then like how it can be unstrapped on arrival and carried away leaving the lines of the bike free. Great !
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

I personally don't go for the big box theme - although they look good in aluminium - too bulky, and limits filtering.  My friend has the OEM hard, cases on his Girly and I noticed that a lot of the space is lost to the exhaust cans.
I have a set of Viper expandable cordura throw-overs which I've had for about 15yrs, they hold enough for my needs and if needed, I also have a couple of drybags, similar to Sin's but without the handles, Oh, and a top box too... In fact I think I can carry more on the bike than in the estate car  :icon_lol:

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on May 28, 2015, 12:25:48 PM
I personally don't go for the big box theme - although they look good in aluminium - too bulky, and limits filtering.  My friend has the OEM hard, cases on his Girly and I noticed that a lot of the space is lost to the exhaust cans.
I have a set of Viper expandable cordura throw-overs which I've had for about 15yrs, they hold enough for my needs and if needed, I also have a couple of drybags, similar to Sin's but without the handles, Oh, and a top box too... In fact I think I can carry more on the bike than in the estate car  :icon_lol:

Send us a pic JayDub?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Will do... I don't have one already but as soon as this torrential rain and the hurricanes cease  :thumbsup:icon_scratch: where's summer btw)

Danwarb

Have any of you Steamer bro's got experience of riding long distances with throw over soft panniers on a Steamer?

Are they prone to melting being theid be over the exhausts?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Mustang

Quote from: Danwarb on June 09, 2015, 11:32:07 PM
Have any of you Steamer bro's got experience of riding long distances with throw over soft panniers on a Steamer?

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14597.0.html    :augie

GavD

Quote from: Danwarb on June 09, 2015, 11:32:07 PM

When I first got her, I did a 10 day trip round the Pyrenees with throw overs. No problem with any melting panniers. The heatshields do their job.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

John Stenhouse

We met a GS in the alps a few years ago where the end of the aftermarket exhaust was set at the wrong angle and it had melted his solid panniers in the trip down from the channel.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Danwarb

Sorted ! Thanks for your posts guys.

I'm definitely going with soft panniers as they come off easily when not in use or leave a 'wing rack' attached ! Yuk !

I'm planning for a festival ! It's all coming together !

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885